What's new

Lens problem

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a Tamron 18-400 lens on my Nikon D3400. Had it a few years...maybe 3 or 4. Today the camera started to do nothing when I pushed the shutter button. I put the Nikon 18-55 lens on it that came with the camera and it works fine. The nearest camera repair shop is over 100 miles away. Any suggestions or are there too many variables involved for diagnosis without hands-on examination?

I have a Tamron 18-400 lens on my Nikon D3400. Had it a few years...maybe 3 or 4. Today the camera started to do nothing when I pushed the shutter button. I put the Nikon 18-55 lens on it that came with the camera and it works fine. The nearest camera repair shop is over 100 miles away. Any suggestions or are there too many variables involved for diagnosis without hands-on examination?
With the 18-400mm attached can you see settings and metering through the viewfinder? I'm assuming when you say, "the camera started to do nothing when I pushed the shutter button" you mean it's not attempting to auto-focus and/or won't take a photo. Is that correct? If the answer to both questions is, yes; check to make sure the lens AF/MF switch is set to AF.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
With the 18-400mm attached can you see settings and metering through the viewfinder? I'm assuming when you say, "the camera started to do nothing when I pushed the shutter button" you mean it's not attempting to auto-focus and/or won't take a photo. Is that correct? If the answer to both questions is, yes; check to make sure the lens AF/MF switch is set to AF.

It will not auto-focus and the shutter won't work. I already made sure the AF/MF switch and Vibration Control switch are both on. Yes, I can see the ISO and f stop settings through the viewfinder. I don't have a clue.

Edit: when I put it on manual focus and focus manually the shutter works.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Double edit: I just turned the auto-focus and vibration control on and off a few times...and now it seems to be working.

Duhhh.

It will not auto-focus and the shutter won't work. I already made sure the AF/MF switch and Vibration Control switch are both on. Yes, I can see the ISO and f stop settings through the viewfinder. I don't have a clue.

Edit: when I put it on manual focus and focus manually the shutter works.
Maybe clean the contacts on lens?? Usually shows up as an error## but could be something like dirty contact.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Simple solutions are the best solutions. Glad the issue worked itself out!

Thanks. I wouldn't have tried the AF on and off if you hadn't said something. I had turned the AF off Monday and turned it back on the next day.

Maybe clean the contacts on lens?? Usually shows up as an error## but could be something like dirty contact.

I did that. Thanks though...that could cause all kinds of problems.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ooops. It started malfunctioning again. The AF assist and red eye reduction lamp comes on when I try and take a pic., but it won't AF and the shutter won't work. With the Nikon lens that came with it the lamp doesn't come on and everything works fine.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ooops. It started malfunctioning again. The AF assist and red eye reduction lamp comes on when I try and take a pic., but it won't AF and the shutter won't work. With the Nikon lens that came with it the lamp doesn't come on and everything works fine.
I had a similar issue with a Canon aftermarket telephoto lens, but it was mostly malfunctioning in the "video" mode. Lol, my son finally stole all my cameras when he was a teen and started doing photo shoots as a side gig.

Left me with my tracfone!

Some kind of software update for lens? I am not familiar with Tamron lenses or any lenses really except basic Canon ones. But I have heard of some lenses that need updates. Just a guess.

i think santa should bring you a replacement.
the tammy sounds like it's shot.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
i think santa should bring you a replacement.
the tammy sounds like it's shot.

That is my thought...but $600 is a bit stiff right now at this time of year. Maybe after tax refund comes in...the 18-55 one that came with it works fine. The Canon A95 I have still works well for a snapshot camera.

Also have some medical deductible/co-pay expenses...broke my back a few weeks ago. I'm pretty much okay now.

Last edited:
Well that's unfortunate. This is starting to sound like a communication error between lens and body. The only thing I can suggest trying is cleaning the entire lens mount, not just the contacts, on both lens and body with Deoxit D100. This product has saved me from similar issues in the past and I use it religiously now. Cleaning the mounts/contacts IS a bit of a long-shot and in all honesty I suspect you're looking at needing to send the lens to Tamron for inspection/repair. Fortunately Tamron CS is pretty top-notch.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Just wondering if the lens is still malfunctioning @simon1? I am a little late to this thread.

I have been using the 18-55 lens that came with it and pulled out the Tamron a bit ago. It took three or four pictures then nothing when I press the shutter button. The settings that are visible at the bottom of the viewfinder change when the button is pushed, then go back to what they were. About a year or so ago the auto focus would go crazy, going in and out, when I pushed the shutter. I could turn the camera off then back on, and it would straighten up. I need to contact Tamron and see about sending it in.

Top Bottom