What's new

Length?

While I'm sure we all aware that size doesn't matter...

This morning I noticed that the Greaves can almost shave my entire cheek on a single pass. It's not the first time I've used it but I guess I wasn't paying attention. So after I finished I measured it. The blade length is 3 3/8" which is about the same as my big 8/8 Friodur. My blades mostly seem to be in the 2 3/4 to 3" range with the DePews being the smallest at 2" and the largest being the Greaves and the Friodur. I see a lot of discussion about width but not much about length. Anything longer than 3 3/8" out there? I would think it would be like shaving with a sword.

from which point to which point are you measuring the length of the blade. picture of your blade will help including measurements. if i am not mistake i have largest cutting surface blades length is 3 1//8.

Don't know what else is out there. The Friodur 8/8 is a massive razor - almost too big for me. I'd rather have the weight in a thicker grind than square inches.

from which point to which point are you measuring the length of the blade. picture of your blade will help including measurements. if i am not mistake i have largest cutting surface blades length is 3 1//8.

I couldn't decide how to measure. The Greaves has an edge runs almost the entire length while the Friodur has no shoulder and a curved heel. So the edge on the Greaves is probably close to 3 3/8" where the Friodur probably has nearer a 3" edge. My initial measurements were from the shoulder to tip.

I actually don't like using razors longer than 3". They just feel to unwieldy to me. Personal preference, I suppose.

I am a fan of shorter blades as well. My MAB is very short, and my Wilkinson Lance is not far behind.

Big blades just don't 'feel' as good, dunno why.

Haven't been at this for very long, so maybe this will change. I rarely use the full length of the blade. Only over the cheeks. I have to shave portions of my neck almost directly side to side to get against the grain, and think a shorter blade would make things easier.

Top Bottom