What's new

Length between shaves

I've quite sensitive and fragile slim, but shavec every day. I use the ATT mild m1 plate, excellent cream or soap ,face lather with a decrnt brush. No problem and with the mild razor, ì have now mastered ATG. Only do one pass if you like with perhaps touch ups.
One of the main problem IS leaving it a week.. great strain on your skin.
I have the same razor and plate. What cream or soap are you using. I ask because I experienced more tugging today than yesterday. I had been shaving every other day with no problem. But back to back days wasn’t as smooth...even though I had the same set up

When I shaved with the cartridge razors, I was able to shave daily. It took me almost a year of trial and error with different razors and blades to find the perfect combo for my skin and beard type.

In my various shaves some were disastrous and others where I could shave several days in a row but I always ended up getting irritated skin.

Now with my favorite equipment: Feather AS-D2 as a razor, Merkur blade and Proraso foam, I shave every day without the slightest problem with a result superior to cartridge razors.

In my opinion, if someone cannot shave daily with their equipment, it is because they have not yet found the right combo.

For me it really depends on lots of things and what i'm doing. Sometimes I shave every day, sometimes every other day and sometimes I shave once a week or maybe two. Shaving is like having haircut and I slightly change my style from time to time. I'm not a cartoon character to look the same my entire life and what's the point of having ''infinitely'' options of how your face is going to look when you stick to the same style for the rest of your life?

My problem with constant everyday shaving is that I shave until my face is either super smooth or until it gets irritated and doing 3-4 pass shaves + touch up every day it feels too much for me after the 3-4 day and it's not very enjoyable and pleasant for me. People with soft whiskers or rugged skin might do it with ease, but not everyone is blessed that way.

When I shaved with the cartridge razors, I was able to shave daily. It took me almost a year of trial and error with different razors and blades to find the perfect combo for my skin and beard type.

In my various shaves some were disastrous and others where I could shave several days in a row but I always ended up getting irritated skin.

Now with my favorite equipment: Feather AS-D2 as a razor, Merkur blade and Proraso foam, I shave every day without the slightest problem with a result superior to cartridge razors.

In my opinion, if someone cannot shave daily with their equipment, it is because they have not yet found the right combo.
Wait...I think I figured out the problem...the blade was a "dud"! I switched the blade and everything went back to normal...i.e. no tugging etc. But I'm surprised...I've been using Personna Med Prep exclusively and this was the first time I had this experience!

linty1

My wallet cries.
I'd love to be able to shave everyday, but it simply doesn't grow fast enough for me. Maybe every 2-3 days for me? If I want to shave every 2 days then I'll shorten it to 2 passes. I will say that things you learn/techniques you hone over time will improve your shave no matter what you use, for example, if you prep properly like you would, and instead of using a de, use a cart? It'll still be much much better a shave bc of the improved prep. I know sometimes I'll reach for the mach 3 or similar, still brush and lather and yes.

With my old razor, I could only shave every 3-4 days and still sometimes have neck irritation. My girlfriend treated me to a new razor for my birthday which is nearly half the weight. I still got some minor irritation but was able to up shaving frequency to every second day. Then I figured out that I’m simply pressing to hard on my neck. That could be your issue.

Previously, to avoid razor burn, I would shave every 3 days. Now I shave every two, but I also moved to a better razor and blade. My technique has also vastly improved.

I've always wanted to place the razor on my sideburn and with one stroke shave it all the way down to my neck.
Just see how it would feel.

I shave everyday. Ok, more like 350x a year.

The right blade in the the right razor (with the right plate if applicable), with the right soap at the right consistency and the right pressure on the razor are the keys for me.

I won’t use a super aggressive razor like a Game Changer
with the .84 Jaws plate with a super sharp new Feather blade the day after a bad/irritation shave as an example. I would likely use a mild razor with a mild blade if I didn’t just skip the next day.

A slick lather (not the whipped cream stuff you see in many pics) is critical to a good shave as is using very little pressure on the razor.

Once I figured out all of this stuff, I went from shaving 3x a week to daily. I MIGHT miss one shave every 2-3 weeks at this point as I enjoy it and I no longer get irritation and rarely get nicks and/or weepers.

If you are like me, you love to shave every day. Gee, sometimes I contemplate shavig twice a day (but don’t). Shaving is the most relaxing part of my day. My zen time.

I believe that for the vast majority of people, if you use slick lather and if you use little pressure and if you only do 1-2 passes and if you prep well, you can successfully shave daily without irritation or dryness. Whether someone wants to shave every day is another issue.

I shave everyday. Ok, more like 350x a year.

The right blade in the the right razor (with the right plate if applicable), with the right soap at the right consistency and the right pressure on the razor are the keys for me.

I won’t use a super aggressive razor like a Game Changer
with the .84 Jaws plate with a super sharp new Feather blade the day after a bad/irritation shave as an example. I would likely use a mild razor with a mild blade if I didn’t just skip the next day.

A slick lather (not the whipped cream stuff you see in many pics) is critical to a good shave as is using very little pressure on the razor.

Once I figured out all of this stuff, I went from shaving 3x a week to daily. I MIGHT miss one shave every 2-3 weeks at this point as I enjoy it and I no longer get irritation and rarely get nicks and/or weepers.
I've been trying the "365 shaves in 2021" challenge (full success so far) and I'd agree with you. Slickly bowl-lathered MWF appears to be my answer to soap or brush irritation.

I have often used razors with a lot more horsepower than I could justify for 24 hours of growth, and in some cases suffered for it.

I have 4 x Game Changer plates: the .68 and .84 in both safety bar and open comb. I haven't bought either JAWS plate yet, and probably won't now.

The GC.68 SB or the Rockwell with R3 or R4 are adequate to defeat one day's growth here. Apart from the inevitable experimenting, I think using the minimum needed is my recipe for getting 365 comfortable shaves a year.

Hi all,

I have relatively sensitive skin, and trying to find the ideal frequency in terms of DE shaves. My skin can’t take daily shaving so I have recently been shaving once a week given I am working from home due to Covid. The flip side of this is that with 7 days growth (I would describe my beard/coarseness/rate of growth as average) I guess the blade may drag more.

Any thoughts on the ‘optimum’ frequency to avoid irritation? I am thinking perhaps twice a week?

Thank you

I don't think there is such a thing as an optimum frequency. Unless you have a medical condition with your skin there is no reason why you couldn't shave every day. You might be pressing the razor too hard on your skin or you just don't have the right razor or blade for your skin. Or your pre-shave routine isn't good enough. In my case, i will never pass a blade over my face unless i've showered first. Wetting your face for a couple seconds under the sink doesn't cut it. I think having a well hydrated beard along with good lather is 50% of the shave and the other 50 is having the right blade/razor/technique. Don't think getting a good shave has anything at all to do with time in between shaves.

Hi all,

I have relatively sensitive skin, and trying to find the ideal frequency in terms of DE shaves. My skin can’t take daily shaving so I have recently been shaving once a week given I am working from home due to Covid. The flip side of this is that with 7 days growth (I would describe my beard/coarseness/rate of growth as average) I guess the blade may drag more.

Any thoughts on the ‘optimum’ frequency to avoid irritation? I am thinking perhaps twice a week?

Thank you

I think it all depends on the individual. Some men have thicker skin than others(no pun intended). In my opinion the beauty of using a DE or SR is that the shave lasts for two or three days depending on who you're trying to impress.
My sweet spot has been shaving three times a week. Sat, Mon, Wed. As for sensitive skin, all of us are probably going to have varying opinions on the perfect combo, but I would vote for a mild razor, and a very sharp blade.

Top Bottom