What's new

Length between shaves

Dunno, people sometimes have real medical conditions though.
If you got peanut allergies, getting high quality peanuts is not gonna help, IMHO.

Finance and time permitting, I think a visit to a dermatologist might prove very helpful.
I think most doctors would understand the impact of living with difficult shaving routine especially when your profession demands it. Doctor may even tell you that you are not alone in that struggle.

In the meanwhile, I'd cut down on the shaving frequency as needed, and seek to improve your technique when you get the chance to shave.

I've quite sensitive and fragile slim, but shavec every day. I use the ATT mild m1 plate, excellent cream or soap ,face lather with a decrnt brush. No problem and with the mild razor, ì have now mastered ATG. Only do one pass if you like with perhaps touch ups.
One of the main problem IS leaving it a week.. great strain on your skin.

Hi all,

I have relatively sensitive skin, and trying to find the ideal frequency in terms of DE shaves. My skin can’t take daily shaving so I have recently been shaving once a week given I am working from home due to Covid. The flip side of this is that with 7 days growth (I would describe my beard/coarseness/rate of growth as average) I guess the blade may drag more.

Any thoughts on the ‘optimum’ frequency to avoid irritation? I am thinking perhaps twice a week?

Thank you
If you’re skin is already irritated from shaving then I would try shaving every other day until the bumps or ingrowns clear up, even try using cold water instead of warm or hot just to keep the skin tighter, not 100% on the logic of this one but from what I understand, when you open your pores with warm water, you get a closer shave but you’re also increasing surface area which just raises the chances of irritation for someone like you or me with sensitive skin. From my experience, ever so lightly passing over some ingrown hairs, with the grain, is one of the better ways to help pull them out. I had a few on the bottom of my neck that I didn’t shave for a while, but the bumps were being persistent until I just decided to lightly pass over them. Seems like they went away almost immediately.

If you are wanting to increase how often you shave, try starting out doing less passes. So shave 3 times a week with only a single pass, then build it up to two passes and then three (if you need a third pass). I find if I shave daily there isn't much growth so I am more likely to make unnecessary passes and scrape skin if I go for a third pass.

Also, make sure your pre and post shave routine is dialed in. Shower and wash your face before shaving, try a pre-shave product and make sure you have a properly hydrated lather. Afterwards try a toner (like Thayers), Hyaluronic acid, an aftershave balm and a moisturiser. Use the hyaloronic acid and moisturiser twice a day even on days you aren't shaving which will help your skin in general.

Usually once every 2 days for me. :D
Same here, with a 24-hour beard shave on Sundays to keep to the rotation. I don't know if my skin is sensitive, but when I first started DE shaving I had trouble with irritation. My technique took care of that. But a day's rest between shaves is not a bad thing.

Hi all,

I have relatively sensitive skin, and trying to find the ideal frequency in terms of DE shaves. My skin can’t take daily shaving so I have recently been shaving once a week given I am working from home due to Covid. The flip side of this is that with 7 days growth (I would describe my beard/coarseness/rate of growth as average) I guess the blade may drag more.

Any thoughts on the ‘optimum’ frequency to avoid irritation? I am thinking perhaps twice a week?

Thank you
I think this is something that varies during the year. During winter I have drier skin and then I am not able to shave the same often as during late summer when it is as most humid air. During the summer I have many times been shaving daily but during the winter I try to shave a few times a week. Rather than setting in stone the number of shaves/week, listen to your skin. It is not as some say, that you should be able to shave daily if you have good technique, there are factors not related at all to shaving.

Recently I ordered a bottle of Jojoba oil to threat my dry skin. I am still waiting for it but I will give it a try myself to see if it helps to keep more moisture in the skin. Normal lotions are just evil.

There is a reason most men in the last century did a single WTG pass shave every morning. It's quick, easy on the skin, and you are clean shaven every day.

Against the grain makes a shave 25% closer, and 250% harder on the skin. Nothing wrong with dropping the ATG pass. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Every face is different, and I've never shaved yours. Having said that, if you can't manage every other day I suspect you need to change something - equipment, products or technique.

The razor/blade combination is vital in this situation. Unfortunately, experimenting is usually the only way to find your idea. That's easy enough with blades, pretty expensive with razors. You might want to try a different soap/cream.

In any case, if you do what you did you'll get what you got.

I tend to shave daily (with no irritaion), but I will say my best shaves happen if I go every other day....just more whiskers to cut I guess and a wee bit more recovery time. My skin is not super sensitive. I would say with the right razor/blade/technique you should be able to at least shave every other day. Depends on how much you enjoy shaving I guess. I like it so I tend to do it more often. I'm always getting new gear and have to try it out...;)

I have sensitive skin and a mild case of rosacea. I shave once a week at the moment, and twice a week maximum. I believe I have good technique; been using the DE razor 13 years or so.

I do 2-3 passes. If I ever try shaving more than twice a week, I will likely not do the last pass against the grain - just 2 passes - the first with the grain and the second across the grain.

Hi all,

Thank you
6 months so far :), First time I have grown out and kept a beard this long........

Every other day for me unless there is something official or special on my off day. Just enough time to think, wow I need to shave, and rewarded after.....

One other bit of advice that I forgot to mention before. Make sure you are keeping hydrated and drinking water throughout the day, if you shave in the morning have a drink of water first thing. If you have sensitive and dehydrated skin shaving will only irritate things further!

Pre Covid i shaved 6 days a week for almost 6 years with a DE razor. Usually a mild razor or setting.
I also like using injectors and twin blade carts and they are even better for my skin as a daily shaver.

Since march of 2020 i have reduced my shaving to 2 or 3 times per week and for that i find the DE to be a better razor as its able to mow down the longer growth with zero drag compared to a twin bladed cart.

Again i will say i prefer and use milder razors with my current favorite being the Razorock Game Changer 68-P

Work and rate of growth require me to shave every day... I have a 5 o'clock shadow as soon as I finish even with a bbs shave. I shave 7 days a week for the most part with a DE, two passes first wtg and second atg with a final touch up sans any lather, just lots of water. I can do that indefinitely. That said, the occasional day off over a weekend and my face most definitely says a big thank you and that next shave is always a touch better than normal.

There is a reason most men in the last century did a single WTG pass shave every morning. It's quick, easy on the skin, and you are clean shaven every day.

Against the grain makes a shave 25% closer, and 250% harder on the skin. Nothing wrong with dropping the ATG pass. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Agree. I only do two passes, with and across, some days a little cleanup of I have some long hairs I missed, and then sometimes an atg pass on my side burns, but not every day. Two passes is enough for DFS for me with a light beard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom