What's new

Lemonade

...is the name of this handle. I was going for a truncated Beaufort pattern, but there was an area in the grain that kept tearing out, so I was going to bin the unfinished blank, until my GF asked if I could make a different shape with what I had left... This was the result

P9210003rotcrpsm.JPG

Looks great. Sometimes we just have to go with the shapes the material dictates. I've had plenty of turnings that went that way.

Very nice. What size knot is that? Any issues with the grip?

Both are drilled 13/16" (20.6mm) and approximately 15mm deep, the knots are 20mm Maggard 2-band, the fan is their Super High Density knot, the bulb, their "regular" version. The bocote handle is slimmer and smoother, but the two deep grooves give a nice amount of extra grip at the base, while the Simpson-esque handle holds exactly like a slightly bigger version of the Beaufort B2 I modeled it after (nice and secure), the base groove doesn't add much grip, as it's pretty shallow.

Update:
The Maggard SHD is glued into the lignum vitae handle and ready to go... if I hadn't just gotten a Simpson 56 (Amazon dropped the price to $75!) it would have been used Tuesday morning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom