What's new

Lego pipe stand project

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Stoped at Walmart after work last night for a base sheet and model glue. They don’t sell models, so no model glue. I found some type of Gorilla Glue that would work. This is just a small step- glueing the first layer to the base. In a couple hours I will pick each brick in the second layer off, one by one, and glue to the first. The base sheet was probably 15 by 15 inch. I cut what I needed width wise, leaving some for the expansion (should hold enough Legos for 8 pipes) and have the rest to the grandson. I will spare details of the second layer glueing (that would be tedious) but should be back with the rests for my first pipe.

CDB4DEF8-B353-428B-89C3-BB5F6AE984EB.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I feel like Rockwell. :)
Ahh an old favorite.

I'm intrigued, Owen. Good luck!
Hey Ed- long time no see.
Having limited tools, I have been thinking of eventually builing a LEGO razor-organizer.
Also, I find the color patterns of LEGO quite cool...
Good idea @oc_in_fw :001_smile, I will be follwing your pipe stand project!

This looks like so much fun!
I like the idea, I mean I have lego at home. Lots of them and I'm intrigued.

Thanks guys. The hard thing is keeping grandchildren at bay until the glue dries. :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I didn’t want to buy the base sheet at first. This is good, because it forced me to use good building principles and not cheat by depending on the base sheet. As I built, I would check for flex. If there was too much in an area, a change in block positions would occur to strengthen it up.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not much progress, I got lazy this weekend. This is wide enough for 3 pipes. Two $16 boxes of Legos, a $12 base sheet, and $6 for Gorilla Glue. Not the cheapest pipe rack, but I start using the specialty pieces next.

505EE26D-1EE6-4BF0-9729-76FF797A0F40.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Building the base is tricky. I could cheat and use the base for strength, but I like to make sure that it is strong and cohesive before attaching to the base sheet. I build it, loosely make sure it fits, and glue it on in “one” piece. I also account for expansion. Building the pipe rests should be easy in comparison.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The pipes touch nothing but smooth surfaces. I may still use felt for a tighter fit.

FA64C6B2-14C7-47B8-BB93-1DAD929C73A8.jpeg
CE6744E0-FE2B-424A-BD31-A6B97CE5DBD1.jpeg
F23CD4CC-D88E-428C-B6A6-421735FFF99E.jpeg
F5A2C23F-59B2-4E95-9501-84F71D7AB86A.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think I am just going to bite the bullet and buy a couple more boxes to complete this. I figure I am going to add a spot for my Xicar Resource, also. As I pulled out of the driveway and realized I forgot to bring a fountain pen to work, again, I thought- why shouldn't I add spots to hold my Pelikan M200 and Parker51? I normally keep them in a drawer, so I sometimes forget them (out of sight, out of mind).

Well done Owen. Remember that the case for the first Google server was made out of Lego. That is why their logo is multicolored.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Finally getting off my duff. First layer of second half placed and ready to glue.

45068F69-26C4-4FCE-A0F9-E41A6F6798E0.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Layer 2 done and glued. A quick test fit shows my pokers won’t fit, but the other 8 should, with some adjustment.

2628423D-36FB-4C4B-8756-E4927D315DC8.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Left to right- Larrysson Pipe I had made for my 50th bday, Larrysson 2017 B&B LE, Larrysson 2018 B&B LE, Dustin Franc Shorta Morta Brandy, Dustin Franc 2019 B&B LE, Pegasus Pipe Co. horn in olive wood, and Dragonbriar Prehistoric Cutty with mammoth tooth accent. My Peterson above the rack, and my 3 pokers (2 Mark Tinsky pokers and Brian Orton tree stump poker) not pictured. May need to expand the rack.

Top Bottom