What's new

Lego pipe stand project

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Step one- organize pieces. I have 3 piles- regular rectangular, angled and bevilled, and specialty pieces. This is one box- the other box didn’t have the pieces in bags. I am going to return it for another one, because I am not going to inventory 303 pieces. The sort was done on lunch, I may have more progress pictures after I get home from work.

3CDBF978-018B-4936-A8C1-2E055686C904.jpeg
5E4B9F0E-2220-4FE3-97EE-97E8AA4257AF.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Looking forward to see what you come up with. I made a lego Straight razor organizer back in the day so it’s definitely going to work.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Looking forward to see what you come up with. I made a lego Straight razor organizer back in the day so it’s definitely going to work.
Feel free to post pictures- I don’t mind thread diversions (I don’t call them hijacks). Diversions sometimes yield interesting points.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thanks

Did you glue on cork? I was thinking of going with felt to protect the finish on the pipes, but cork may be better.

I made sure everything was a little tight and just press fit it onto cork, no glue.

On my other project I used foam core and used spray glue to adhere felt to it. I think if you finalize your design you could do the same with the legos.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I made sure everything was a little tight and just press fit it onto cork, no glue.

On my other project I used foam core and used spray glue to adhere felt to it. I think if you finalize your design you could do the same with the legos.
Cool. I like the idea of cork, and will probably go that way due to you input. See, diversions can be productive.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Next, I sorted all the regulars by size and set the first (left) edge. Near the middle, I have two pieces that extend past the edge, plus an empty spot at front and rear. This it to allow for locking two sections together once expansion occurs. The third pick is just more progress. There are a few changes between 2 and 3 as things had to be altered.

0300DF85-21BF-41FC-AA93-9413F760BFA7.jpeg
3A77F43B-B757-413C-BD57-8FEA4DB3CD8E.jpeg
E7BE3165-A7F6-4F38-A4F1-4A1463176F70.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The base is completed. The first pic shows the overall view, and the second and third show expansion lock details. Now, to start gluing it all.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here is a view of the bottom, and one with my Larrysson 50th birthday pipe for size comparison. They sell flat, thin sheets of Lego that are around 6 by 4 inch or so. I am going to pick up some of that to give a little more strength without adding a lot of height. I also need to find out if I can order assortment of just regular rectangular Legos of various sizes. I ate up a lot of those (the remainder from one kit is in the upper right corner) and I only have something large enough for 1 pipe. The 303 piece kits are $16 each, so this could get too pricey, and I am going to end up with a lot of specialty pieces. This is about all for this afternoon- need to get to work :)

4.JPG
5.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have a feeling this is going to be awesome. Going to superglue it?
Sorry, I never replied. I was going to Super Glue, but the tubes are small and dry out too quickly. I am going to use model glue. I am also going to get the Lego sheets to use on the bottom for extra strength. They sell them in various sizes, and look easy to cut. They won’t add much height, either.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Here is a view of the bottom, and one with my Larrysson 50th birthday pipe for size comparison. They sell flat, thin sheets of Lego that are around 6 by 4 inch or so. I am going to pick up some of that to give a little more strength without adding a lot of height. I also need to find out if I can order assortment of just regular rectangular Legos of various sizes. I ate up a lot of those (the remainder from one kit is in the upper right corner) and I only have something large enough for 1 pipe. The 303 piece kits are $16 each, so this could get too pricey, and I am going to end up with a lot of specialty pieces. This is about all for this afternoon- need to get to work :)

View attachment 887900 View attachment 887901

Is there no LEGO store near you? They sell most of the sizes separately. Usually a set price of a container that you fill up as much as you want.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Is there no LEGO store near you? They sell most of the sizes separately. Usually a set price of a container that you fill up as much as you want.
There is one in Grapevine, but my grandson told my wife that he wants to go there (he doesn’t know about this project- I want it glued before he tries to swipe Legos :) ), and that could really get expensive. :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No worries. I’m excited to see the finished product.
I am off on Sunday and Monday, so I should make some good progress on at least the first stand. I might hit up the Goodwill store to see if they have any Legos there. I need a bunch of normal rectangular bricks.

M

member 119848

Having limited tools, I have been thinking of eventually builing a LEGO razor-organizer.
Also, I find the color patterns of LEGO quite cool...
Good idea @oc_in_fw :001_smile, I will be follwing your pipe stand project!

Top Bottom