What's new

Legendee from Trung Nguyên: Anybody?

My sister-in-law gave us a gift package of Legendee from Trung Nguyen. When I opened the package, it had such a distinctive chocolate aroma that I thought it was flavored. It seems that it is modeled on kopi luwak, with the exception that no civets had to chow down my coffee before they roasted it. Instead they run the beans through some enzymic process. It's working its way through my syphon right now. Curious to see if anybody else has tried it.

Apparently I was wrong about this version of Legendee. It's a special edition of real kopi luwak-style coffee, not the synthetic version that Trung Nguyen is known for producing. So I am grateful for all the little Asian palm civets who, er, bore down on the job to crank this out for us. These guys are supposed to be free range civets too, so no forced cage feedings involved. Instead, they climb around munching on Trung Nguyen's best Arabica and work their magic.

For the last three days, I've brewed this in our vacuum pot. It does indeed have a light, chocolate flavor, with a hint of leather. A strangely silky mouthfeel and a slight bitter aftertaste too. But it is definitely the chocolate that dominates. All in all, a pleasant cup. I don't think that I'll rush out to buy another package when this one is gone, but I've enjoyed it.

Thanks for the first hand follow-up after a few days with this uncommon coffee. Your impressions go a long way in helping others without them having to go out and get first hand experience with that product.

Top Bottom