What's new

Legacy Razor

Hi all,

I’ve been happily shaving with a Mühle R89 for the past 5 years, but I just had a son and it got me thinking about my legacy and the razor I want to leave behind for him.

My question is this, if you could leave your children 1 “legacy razor” what would it be?

I look forward to your replies (and I expect this to spark some serious RAD).

A few years ago, my daughter claimed my first gen level 2 stainless SB Charcoal Goods on a stainless Stinger handle for when she gets old enough to shave her legs. Besides being an absolutely fabulous razor, she likes the bee on the handle.

A 'birth year' razor... that is a cool heirloom. Your age or your son's age.
Thanks for the suggestion! Are there any modern razors you know of that still put a date code stamped on them somewhere? I was born in the 80s so it feels like there isn’t much selection from that time that would be considered heirloom or legacy quality (unless I’m wrong, then I would love to learn more)!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would very much prefer the razor my Father had been using for many years, including before I was born, rather than something he bought specifically as an heirloom, and kept in a box for years until I was old enough to use it. To me that would be meaningless. I would swap every razor and brush I own, and a lot more besides, for a $5 Tech that was used by my Father. So, my answer is to continue using your Mühle R89 and then leave it to your son. The actual razor, and the condition it is in when it is given, does not matter in the slightest. What is important is that is was purchased, owned, and used, by you.

At Razor Emporium they have 1980s tech razors in their 'for sale' section for under $20, not sure of the manufacture date. PAA Bakelite razors appear to have had a small production run from when they were introduced in the last couple of years and appear to be 'collector's items' now and unavailable from the source store.

I have a 8m old grandson, my first. I spend a lot of time with him and keep him every weekday from 2 until my wife is home (then we keep him together until my daughter is off work).

I indeed began to think about “legacy” when he was born.

I have guns, including my dad’s rifle, that will be handed down to him eventually. I have been in this hobby off and on for a while but I have no real legacy razor that I used daily for years but that will change by the time he is old enough to shave himself.

I would very much prefer the razor my Father had been using for many years, including before I was born, rather than something he bought specifically as an heirloom, and kept in a box for years until I was old enough to use it. To me that would be meaningless. I would swap every razor and brush I own, and a lot more besides, for a $5 Tech that was used by my Father. So, my answer is to continue using your Mühle R89 and then leave it to your son. The actual razor, and the condition it is in when it is given, does not matter in the slightest. What is important is that is was purchased, owned, and used, by you.
Thanks for this heartfelt reply. I definitely will keep using my R89. I guess I was thinking more about buying a razor that other wet shavers consider heirloom/legacy quality now that he could grow up watching me use.

I have a birth date Tech for one grandson and a Slim for the other one. For the granddaughter to be born in a few weeks I have set aside my mother's travel Tech. I want to set up the grandkids to have good shaves and those fit the bill.

I think continuing to use the R89 is a good plan. If you really want to get a birth year razor (your birth year) it's going to be tough sledding if you were born in the 80s. Not a lot out there.

Thinking way outside the box: perhaps one of the small batch razor manufacturers or restorers would be willing to make something custom, with your son's birthday engraved on the underside?

I tried looking to the past for inspiration, based on family recollections, it sounds like my Dad’s Dad used a 1940s Gillette Tech and my Mom’s Dad shaved with a 1950s Gillette super speed, sadly we don’t have these razors anymore. My Dad has used a cartridge razor for as long as I can remember.

I am lucky I have several of my great-granddads straights I hope to share with my grandsons after I teach them how to use them.

Top Bottom