What's new

LeFonque’s Leanings

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I thought I would find a place to have an online shaving journal.

I have found journaling a fruitful exercise in other parts of my life and it offers me a chance to plot the twists and turns that I make while on my journey.

I have been a long time wet shaver but only recently decided to join an online community.
Along with shaving I like many fine things like watches and pen.

it is more a matter of me reflecting upon all things shaving. It is in someways for my own amusement but if you wish to add comments and join in you are most welcome.

Lefonque

DE32E994-6F9D-4AE7-8EBA-E564787F1E89.jpeg

Second shave with the Tadatra Nodachi, loaded with a King C Gillette blade.

My hubris insisted that for my first shave I should use a Feather’s blade. This was a big mistake. As a seasoned wet shaver I should have known better, so my skin and the alum block informed me. For the second shave it was deemed that a virgin King C Gillette blade was the go.

It was ordained that three passes would be the procedure.

First pass WTG.
The first pass was undertaken with respectful caution after what I could colourfully describe as the Great Feather Massacre of the previous days shave. The pass went smoothly easy removing growth and GFT Eucris soap alike.
Although the pass was bit rough in the beginning it was smoother than I had anticipated. I suspect the angle of the approach was a little better than the approach I took yesterday. First pass completed. No nicks no cuts... bonus.

The second pass (XTG)
Full of a new found confidence the second pass began. The razor glided across the face in a smooth trajectory with amazing ease. It was here that the secret of a successful shave with a Tatara Nodachi was revealed to me. It was as if the shaving gods were whispering in my ear “let the razor do the work”. Who would have thought. No tugs and no pulling. Like a highly skilled Jedi Knight wielding their light sabre I brandished the new razor clinically removing remaining stubble. Thus ended the second pass.

The third pass. (ATG)
In my mind I debated if a third pass need be undertaken. Given the excess of lather left in the bowl and my pedantic nature the third pass was launched.
This pass resulted in an exceptional a super close shave. Bright light manifest into the bathroom illuminating both natural and synthetic brushes alike and a heavenly choir began to sing. BBS achieved!

8/10

All of this said my thoughts on the Tatara Nodachi after the second shave are as follows. The razor is well weighted. The balance of the Tadara Nodachi is slightly higher than some other razors that I possess. This may be because of the length of the handle and why some on this forum use the Masamune on the Nodachi. The razor is more aggressive than I had anticipated but offers an effective shave. The result of the shave offers is highly satisfactory.

It is not the perfect razor but that said it is one fine unit. It is a top tier razor but comes with a top tier price. It will be in my rotation but time will tell if it will be my goto.

Epilogue
The final test of any razor in my house is given by my wife and daughter at the go to work kiss. Both remarked on the smoothest of my face. So that is two thumbs up from them... a rare occurrence.

Pre
Proraso Green pre shave, Italy 🇮🇹
Soap
GFT Eucris, UK 🇬🇧
Brush
Yaqi Dandelion, China 🇨🇳
Razor
Tatara Nodachi, Portugal 🇵🇹
lade
King C Gillette, Russia 🇷🇺
Aftershave
Proraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 Nivia Balm, Germany 🇩🇪
Fragrance
Rolf Lauren, USA 🇺🇸
Rating
8/10.

Lefonque

Thursday 25th March 2021

Pre
Proraso Green pre shave, Italy 🇮🇹
Soap
PAA Doppelgänger USA 🇺🇸
Brush
Yaqi Dandelion 24, China 🇨🇳
Razor
Feather ASD2 Japan 🇯🇵
Blade
Astra SP, Russia 🇷🇺
Aftershave
Proraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 Nivia Balm, Germany 🇩🇪
Fragrance
Amouage black iris Uk 🇬🇧
Rating
8.5/10.

it was a good shave today. I cracked open a new soap PAA Doppelgänger. It lathered up beautifully. I needed a milder shave today so I used the Feather.
The routine was not as formal as previous days.

The Aftershave was nice but a bit much. I was a little heavy handed in spraying myself. The scent has been on 6 hours and is still strong.

Lefonque

ADAD3B9A-327D-4D6A-A5C5-24F0B7D1D96A.jpeg

Probably my favourite brush shot so far. I used this for my head shave. It was a good shave. Sometimes I can be a bit hit or miss when it comes to shaving my head. For someone who has been shaving his head for over twenty years you would think I would take more pride.
This shave was a good one for some self meditation on things that have been going a little awry recently.

Lefonque

Sunday 28th March 2021

22E6199D-D1C4-4A94-A2EB-7BFBB07ACCE4.jpeg

76B5016D-18BD-4598-B203-5B38CCE51ECF.jpeg

Today was a big shave day. Head and face. It wasn’t a bad shave but I did nick the back of my head. I am still having trouble with control of the razor when shaving my head since the stroke. I put it down to being more stressed and fatigued. I still get the shakes but I have to concentrate a bit harder. Still rate the shave a 8.5. Very close and smooth apart from the nick.

Lefonque

553857EE-5554-4E88-B39C-BD6121907D3E.jpeg

PreProraso white pre shave, Italy 🇮🇹
Soap
A&E Vanille de Tabac, USA 🇺🇸
Brush
Yaqi Artic Sky, China 🇨🇳
Razor
Wolfman WR2 , Canada 🇨🇦
Blade
GSB, Russia 🇷🇺
Aftershave
Proraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 Proraso Balm, Italy 🇮🇹
Fragrance
Penhaligon’s Halfeti Leather, UK 🇬🇧
Rating
8.5/10. Face and Dome. No nicks, weepers, etc

Lefonque

Today the shave was really good. Took time and was able to get some great relaxation for this mid Easter shave. Easter was the busiest time of year for me prior to my retirement.

As a retired person I can feel a little lost. So much of how I see myself was related to my occupation. I was responsible for a lot of things and a lot of people. I attended many meetings, sat on a number of boards plus having the freedom to set the working agenda. Some of the things worked other stuff did not. I met with politicians, Prime Minister and Premier. I rubbed shoulders with the great and good.

It all ended very abruptly.

It was sobering to realise that things continued on without my input. It was interesting to realise my hubris and ridiculous self importance. What at times I thought was important was not. Priorities were not in reality priorities and that which should of the upmost importance was relegated to be pure incidental. As I shaved I realised that life has changed irrevocably.
Until the next shave.
Today learning is that the world still turns.

That's some wisdom right there. I'm sure many are grateful for your service, even though you're quite right about the transitoriness of it all. "What is your life? It is even a vapour". Shaving is a good way to reflect on life, isn't it?

Lefonque

That's some wisdom right there. I'm sure many are grateful for your service, even though you're quite right about the transitoriness of it all. "What is your life? It is even a vapour". Shaving is a good way to reflect on life, isn't it?
Shaving is a great time to reflect. There are some great metaphors in a shave that can apply to life. This starts with the mirror that I stare into when I begin a shave. Onward from there.
Happy Shaves!

Lefonque

A new brush...

I received a new brush from Billy Goat Brushworks. In my wildest dreams I didn’t think that I would get excited about a brush. Not only is it a thing of beauty it is a wonderful tool that helps me facilitate a really good shave.

This has caused me to direct my thoughts to the issue of craftsmanship and the overused term artisan. In the world of wet shaving we are fortunate enough to have some true artisans who’s skill and passion provide us with our needs. As I heard the story behind the passion that my brushmaker exhibits I though there is often a great story that drives that desire to produce something that extends beyond the ordinary to another level. I am happy to support a true artisan makers who go over and beyond to bring us not only a tool that does the job but gets us excited about something as simple as a razor, soap or in my case a brush.
69CFB242-F59B-4D37-808C-958C42497915.jpeg

7EE50090-5239-4877-8FF1-7D6889D14CEC.jpeg

6476C21B-0B4A-40EF-BB35-137D32ECC468.jpeg

Happy Shaves

Lefonque

F3AE25BD-862C-4897-A6B0-139C56B04C62.jpeg

F7CD3451-B2D1-4C1E-AE5E-858A75E07439.jpeg

I have been reflecting on my last two shaves. There was an incredible difference between the two shave. The first shave was absolutely bog average. The second was truly fantastic.
What a difference a day makes or so the song 🎵 goes. I have used the respective razors a on many occasions and I have many decades of experience under my belt. I know that my technique is sound. So why the difference?

I think the main difference between the two shaves was my state of mind.
The one ingredient of the shave that I think is often neglect is what is on the other end of the shaving handle. Not the sharp end but the other end.. in some case it could be called the dull end. What do we bring to a shave? Our mood and temperament is part of each shave.
Perhaps in a zen way we are the shave.

Lefonque

In Melbourne we are in lockdown number 4 and the biggest question in my mind is to shave or not to shave? The only people that are effected is my wife, my daughter and me.

it is similar to the saying"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? If I don’t shave and nobody sees it etc. just a thought.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
In Melbourne we are in lockdown number 4 and the biggest question in my mind is to shave or not to shave? The only people that are effected is my wife, my daughter and me.

it is similar to the saying"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? If I don’t shave and nobody sees it etc. just a thought.
I shave for me

Top Bottom