What's new

Led Zeppelin

Am a fan, they dominate my play list. Have no idea if it is true or not but I understand they were studio musicians first and The Who was acquainted with them. They decided to form their own band and tour but had not come up with a name yet. When Keith Moon heard they were going to try touring as a band he supposedly said, "Well, they will go over like a lead balloon." And that was how they chose their name. To stick it in Keith's ear. If it is true I love it - the, "We'll show him" attitude.
Page and Jones had known each other as session musicians. Plant and Bonham had come out of the band Band of Joy and were recruited when Page looked to form a new group after the Yardbirds' demise.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
LOL! Stolen blues.
The blues world is built on song theft.
Remember hearing Kashmir for the first time in the middle of the night on Q107 just after they began broadcasting. Wasn't a hardcore follower at the time, but the entire song had me listening intently right through if only to hear where it would all end up.
Oddly, I had the same reaction when I first heard Donna Summer's I Feel Love around the same time (most definitely not on Q107...likely on the automated Top 40 station out of Buffalo, Rock 102).
Both songs had/have a strange propulsive almost hypnotic quality that demands you ride them all the way through.
Good grief, Led Zep and Donna Summer in the same post.
If it is on the radio, I will never turn it off. If it comes in just as I pull in my driveway, I will back out and drive a bit. The only other song I do that for is Layla by Derek and tge Dominos (Clapton, Allman)

Have you seen "It Might Get Loud" with Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge? Not strictly Zeppelin, obviously, but if you're a fan of that type of rock, I'd recommend a viewing.

I remember the very day I first heard Led Zeppelin.
It was final exams week in high school, and once you wrote the exam there wasn't much to do until the bus came to take us home. One of the cool teachers signed out a portable record player and let students play records on it in one of the classrooms, to kill time. I was climbing the stairs up to the third floor and heard this strange music echoing down the hallway. I located the source and asked "What IS that?".
It was "Good Times Bad Times", off the first album. Between that and the high contrast B&W album art, they got a fan for life.

Re "Black Dog"
That could be because that song has multiple guitar tracks layered on top of one another.
... And doesn't he play some of it (the last minute or so) through a Leslie rotary speaker?

Have you seen "It Might Get Loud" with Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge? Not strictly Zeppelin, obviously, but if you're a fan of that type of rock, I'd recommend a viewing.
Yup.
My favourite bit is Jimmy playing Link Wray's "The Rumble" on a scratchy old record (at 32:10). He's grinning like a junior high kid who's sharing the new coolest thing he's ever heard with his friends.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Jimmyyyyyyyyyyy. Imagine, having never picked up a mandolin before, and this is what you could bring out of it. Amazing.

Jimmyyyyyyyyyyy. Imagine, having never picked up a mandolin before, and this is what you could bring out of it. Amazing.

I dunno. He's noted for using oddball guitar tunings, so a mandolin shouldn't have been too difficult for him.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I dunno. He's noted for using oddball guitar tunings, so a mandolin shouldn't have been too difficult for him.

Apparently not difficult at all, for him. I cant play any instruments so its an amazing feat to me. To pick up any unfamiliar instrument and do....that, amazes me.

In the same way Mariachi El Bronx can play fantastic Mariachi music such as their song Love Sick, but their other band is a hard core LA punk band, The Bronx. Amazes me.

Let's be honest, John Paul Jones is criminally underrated. He's no George Harrison, but In Through the Out Door is a decent album. Fool in the Rain is as listenable as any Zep tune.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Let's be honest, John Paul Jones is criminally underrated. He's no George Harrison, but In Through the Out Door is a decent album. Fool in the Rain is as listenable as any Zep tune.

One of my favorite Zeppelin tunes. I could sing all the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven by the time I was four or five, but I remember hearing Fool in the Rain on the radio when I was in middle school. It took me a year to finally figure out what the song was. I was at a neighbor's house, and his brother had bunch of Zeppelin albums. I started playing through them one by one and finally found Fool in the Rain near the end of his stack. It's one of those songs where people start to hear it and think what is this?! and then end of loving it by the end.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm Gonna Crawl is the most soulful song on the album.

Excellent bass and keyboards

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The first Zeppelin tune I listen to when starting in on their albums. The neighbors dont seem to mind this one. So far only Tool and A Perfect Circle has chased them off their porch across the street haha.

Top Bottom