What's new

Leaving Badge Bristels Up?

For me, brush stands are space savers. I store two brushes in the same shelf space of one without. One hangs down, the other points up resting on handle of the hanging brush.

After shaving, gently shake excess water from your brush. Then, gently strop it a few times on a towel. Then, let it stand to dry in an open area. Brush stands are fine if you like them, but they're not necessary.

No idea on the science behind drying a brush up versus down but I use a stand for the aesthetic factor if nothing else. They look great on a bathroom countertop and the brush hairs stay nice and uniformly tight when drying downward. I’ve noticed drying certain brushes standing on the handles upright the hairs can tend to flop to the sides giving the brush a slightly splayed look when dry. Purely a personal thing though.

I'm going to be setting a knot deeper into a handle and that will create a place for water to pool if the brush is fiber up. It may make a difference it this case.

I put my stand way months ago and now I just give the used brush several good shakes and squeezing the water out.
The only stand I have is too small for the handles of my synthetic APShaveCo brush and even my small Semogue boar. So the badger hangs on the stand, but the other two get toweled off and sit on their flat little rumps on the counter. When I come home, I often give the brush of the day a good drying with the towel.

Doesn't really matter which way. I always say that most brushes have a stand build in - they have their bottom to stand on.
Just make sure that a brush is completely dried before you put it into a cabinet or any enclosed area.

... and the knot has been thoroughly rinsed through in warm clean water post shave to remove ALL soap or cream residue, particularly in very dense shaving brushes.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
... and the knot has been thoroughly rinsed through in warm clean water post shave to remove ALL soap or cream residue, particularly in very dense shaving brushes.
Absolutely!! I have seen quite a few shedders in my careers as a brush maker, just one again this week I put a new knot in.
Most shedders I fix have excessive amounts of soap/cream inside, and some really give off a soap dust.

Absolutely!! I have seen quite a few shedders in my careers as a brush maker, just one again this week I put a new knot in.
Most shedders I fix have excessive amounts of soap/cream inside, and some really give off a soap dust.

Absolutely! I gave one of my brushes to my oldest son about four years ago. When he visited us visiting us he had the brush with him. Many of the hairs had fallen out. I examined the brush and saw that some soap and cream residue could be seen by the knot of the brush. We soaked the brush up to the knot and then I soaked it in a mixture of vinegar and water. He could not believe how much gunk came out of the brush. I gave him my old H.I.S. synthetic brush with instructions on cleaning it under running water after every use.

Water does not evaporate up. It evaporates out. No matter, it still makes no difference whether you hang your brush or stand it up.

This, drying science teaches that carpets which are wet will dry by the process of capillary action, no matter which direction the bristles are pointed. I learned this during my tenure as a salesman for a water restoration and carpet cleaning company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Clean excess soap well.
  2. Squeeze out (without pulling down) excess water lightly.
  3. Gently Flick the brush by supporting the knot with your fingers at the base.
  4. Lightly towel Strop to fluff out the knot, not to dry it.
  5. Look if the middle of the knot has hair clumps and foam (happens with soap residue). Clumps from soap will persist through towel stropping, gel tips and clumps from water will not.
  6. Smell the brush knot, there should be ZERO scent from the soap. Yes, even with Tabac.
  7. Leave it to Dry in any orientation as long as it's in open space. If your bathroom is particularity humid, dry it elsewhere in your home. Dense badger knots need 48h minimum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom