What's new

Leather Stropping System by Hand American

HandAmerican.com lists this as a “Leather Flatbed Hone” where as I believe a more accurate description is a Flatbed Stropping System. It is a very simple and well thought out design.

Construction consists of the base made out of solid surfacing material, four non-skid rubber feet. If you have access to ss scraps, a table saw, and a router table, you could easily build this yourself. That being said, at $35 this is a real deal compared to other strops available.

It arrived quickly in a well packaged box that included: A 3”x15” base, a strip of conditioned bark tanned leather, a strip of natural leather, and a bottle of .5 micron chromium oxide liquid.

The system works as follows: A large magnet is adhered to the top surface of the base. A magnet is also adhered to each of the strips of leather. When you want to use a particular leather, just lay it on the base and you're good to go. The leather will not move. The conditioned leather is used daily for stropping (polishing) the edge. The natural leather is used with the honing compound to restore the sharpness of the edge every week or so. Additional leather can be purchased and used with the numerous diamond pastes available creating more of a honing result.

To date I have been very pleased with this system and feel it is excellent for all straight razor users - especially new ones. I have yet to find a downside to this approach. By starting out with a flat stropping surface, beginners don’t need to worry about other variables like proper tension of the strop, is the strop cupped, etc. Instead they can focus 100% on improving their stropping form.

Throw in the versatility it offers and the fact that it’s half the price of most the recommended hanging strops and I think it’s a winner all around.

Bottom
HandAmerican05.jpg

This is the entire system minus the razor. Leather on base is prepped for stropping with the honing compound.
HandAmerican03.jpg

Side Profile
HandAmerican04.jpg

Conditioned bark tanned leather mounted on base ready for daily stropping
HandAmerican01.jpg

Side view of leather strip. Notice thin magnet adhered to it's bottom and the top of the base.
HandAmerican02.jpg

Rik,

Very nice review. I'll have to check in to this, although I have already purchased a 4K/8K and will have it next week.

Randy

Thanks Randy!
You'll still need the norton if you don't have a good quality wet stone for honing. But you should only have to hone four times a year give or take. The HandAmerican.com system addresses the daily need to strop your str8t prior to shaving and to return the edge as close as possible to a hair splitting state every week or so.

I use King water stones (4k, 8k, & 12k) only because that's what I use for my chisels and planes. Currently I'm working on about ten different cheap razors in various stages to educate myself to recognize what state of sharpness a razor is in.

I hope to pick up a stereo microscope to aid with this in the next couple of weeks. A lot of guys use the radio shack microscope with much success. I just can't see through the thing. I had the same issue with a swarovski spotting scope and had to return it for one of their high power nocs. I have a hard time only using one eye. I shoot all my guns and bows, scope or no scope, with both eyes open using my dominant eye. Didn't mean to go off on such a tangent. Have a good one!

Rik,

I plan to pick up the microscope as well. I have a few shave ready razors, and want to examine them before I use them so that once I am honing, I will know what to look for.

Randy

The handamerican products are top quality. I have an older model of the "Scary Sharp" system, and it uses a Corian base to hold the leather bases in place. I have made some extra bases that fit in the base from 1/4" plexiglass, and glued some leather to them to use different pastes. Their green paste is good stuff, too! I have made hanging strops from thier stropping leather, too. HA will cut the leather to any size you want, making the strops any width you want.

Greetings Laz!
Does HA sell their leather by the total sq ft such as an 18”x8” piece equals 1 sq ft or do they limit it to 12" x 12" increments? I’d like to do the same as you have done, need greater than 12”, but want minimal waste. With the proper tools, the expansion of this system is endless!

Laz in Tampa said:
HA will cut the leather to any size you want, making the strops any width you want.

They sell it in 12"x12" increments. But it wouldn't hurt to ask them, either. The HA staff is very friendly and helpful, and you never know until you ask!

Greetings,
An additional benefit for those new to using a straight razor is the ability to inexpensively replace the strop. As you learn to strop your razor invariably you will nick the strop. Most nicks can be easily repaired but require work to repair. This would be very frustrating if you've invested a great deal of money into an expensive strop.

Well, it's kind of like figgerin' out whether to buy a Ford or a Chevy. Both do the same job, but both have pros and cons.

The HA system lays flat on a tabletop. The stropping surface is wider on the HA system. But if you use the X-pattern, it is almost a moot point.

Tony Miller's is a hand-held system, and all the strops and pastes you need are always right there with a twist of your wrist. It's more portable than the HA system.
The only downside I can see for a four sided strop is that if you do nick your strop (when you are beginning, it is when, not if....) the leather is easier to replace.

But if (and when) you do nick your strop, cut away the flap you made, and use some fine sandpaper to smooth down any raised areas. Any spots *under* the surface of the strop will not affect your edge at all.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The new Hand American system looks nice. I may have to add one of these to my arsenal as well.

I can see advantages to both narrow and wide systems just as Laz pointed out. Narrow may work better on curved edge razors while that wide surface would come closest to matching that of a Norton 4/8K hone.

From my experinece there is no "right" tool for everyone. I have owned Japanese stones, a Norton, a dozen or so Barber Hones and a dozen pasted strops both antique and of my own making and have the best luck with pasted strops, followed by Barber hones. I for some reason just can't get the hone/stone method down with good results.

In the hands of a skilled person all the tools have a place.

Tony

Welcome, Tony! Thanks for chiming in. I am slowly exploring the str8 waters, deciding if I want to jump in. :a54:

Hey Tony!

For anyone interested in a quality hanging strop or paddle strop, Tony is the man to see! His quality is top notch and his customer service is A+! :thumbup1: And...he didn't pay me to say any of this! :001_tt2:

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Hey Tony!

For anyone interested in a quality hanging strop or paddle strop, Tony is the man to see! His quality is top notch and his customer service is A+! :thumbup1: And...he didn't pay me to say any of this! :001_tt2:

Randy

I've been hearing the same about Tony from everyone else. :smile:

Welcome to B&B Tony!

Tony Miller said:
I can se advantages to both narow and wode systems just as Laz pointed out. Naoorw may work better on curved edge razors while that wide surface would come closest to matching that of a Norton 4/8K hone.
Good point. I hadn't thought about the curved blades.

From my experinece there is no "right" tool for everyone. ...In the hands of a skilled person all the tools have a place.
Very well said. I look forward to your future postings.

Have a good one.

Scotto said:
Rik,

Would you recommend this over one of Tony Miller's paddle or 4-sided strops for a beginner?
Greetings Scotto,

Both Laz and Tony make some excellent points. I'm glad I went with the HA as my first strop because of the nicking issue. Even though it can be repaired, I like the fact I was able to replace the leather once I got over the initial learning curve - which can beat the snot out of a strop. That initial surface has been reassigned as a pasted surface. I also really like the width, but I admit very few of my razors have a curved edge.

The idea of having multiple honing surfaces available in one portable unit is very appealing. As Laz pointed out I would not want to haul the HA around while traveling. Tony's four paddled strop will be my next strop purchase.

You will find that both Tony and Keith are very knowledgeable and will make sure you are well taken care of.

Laz in Tampa said:
You mean you haven't fallen in love with the old Sheffield razors yet??????
So far I haven't been bidding/sniping high enough. That will change. :biggrin:

Top Bottom