What's new

Leather Stropping System by Hand American

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Scotto,
I snagged one of those belt strops off of ebay a few weeks ago. Nicely made piece but rather short. The stropping surface is around 8" long. My little travel strop is the same length and I would not want to use it for anything except travel.
Most of mine are 10" long which I find is a good balance between usable and plain unweildy <g>.
Also the leather on mine can be replaced if needed and I will do that at cost for anyone.

BTW, thanks for the nice welcome guys.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I ended up purchasing one of your 4-sided numbers for my first strop, and am looking forward to using it!

Scotto said:
Thanks Tony. I ended up purchasing one of your 4-sided numbers for my first strop, and am looking forward to using it!
Scotto,
I think you made a wise decision since It's hard to choose between the two systems. Having Tony around makes it much easier. He's made it very clear that he stands behind his products and is very accessible to answer your questions.

I would recommend you consider a wider strop for daily use in the not too distant future. I find 3" to be a nice width.

Tony,
I think it's outstanding that you are willing to replace the leather at cost. As new users and even experienced users accidentally nick or gouge their strop, what an assurance to know that you are protecting their investment. Very nice! :thumbup1:

With top notch products like Tony's and Hand American's available, why would one take a chance on other products that are much more expensive and don't offer the exceptional support.

I just have to say that the Hand American sharpening system is dynamite! I use mine all the time. Where it would help the new guy is that there is no flex like in a hanging strop that can roll edges if you are not careful. It can actually teach you the dynamics of the procedure too.
Keith is great to deal with also. You need hones and strops for convenience, but this system is the cat's meow.
If you decide on the strop route, Tony will do you right. Get both...

One thing that has not been mentioned here is that in all cases the razor has to end up with angled striations (scratch pattern) on the bevel. So, if you use Tonys paddle strops the X pattern is forced, which is good. If you use the Handamerican flatbed system you have to remember to angle the blade when using it.
Both ways will work just fine.

Hope this helps,:smile:

I have had mine for about 2 weeks. I love it.

I addition to the red latigo for final stropping, I bought three separate plain leather pieces for use with 1.0-.50- and .25 diamond paste. I found that the paste absorbed into the leather and stayed on better after sanding the top finish off.

I just finished up a Wade Butcher meat cleaver razor. If you ever get on of those sharp enough to shave with you havve spent some time on it.

This system is great.

If you have not checked the site out lately, He is adding strops and now has honing film to complement the bench hone system I mention here. This I have to try as well.

I have a 4-sided and 3" red latigo hanging strop from Tony - both of which are amazing.

I'm looking for a wider strop for abrasive pastes and am considering both Tony's 2-sided bench strop and the Handamerican system. The one advantage to the HA system is that you can have multiple (as in more than 2) surfaces for not much more money - I think its like $7 or so per surface (leather mounted to a magnet), which is something to consider if you like to switch things around.

I haven't used a paddle or bench strop for daily stropping, and really enjoy the feel of a hanging strop - in this regard, the strop I have from Tony is terrific and is longer than any bench strop out there, which means I have to make fewer trips than I would on a bench strop. Also, I get better results with the linen/leather combo, which you can't get with a bench or paddle strop.

Scotto - while the loom strops look great, in addition to being short, they have a tendency to cup, which is a problem.

Its great to see a review of the HA system.

What kind of leather did you order for it?
Thanks!
Steve

HandAmerican.com lists this as a “Leather Flatbed Hone” where as I believe a more accurate description is a Flatbed Stropping System. It is a very simple and well thought out design.

Construction consists of the base made out of solid surfacing material, four non-skid rubber feet. If you have access to ss scraps, a table saw, and a router table, you could easily build this yourself. That being said, at $35 this is a real deal compared to other strops available.

It arrived quickly in a well packaged box that included: A 3”x15” base, a strip of conditioned bark tanned leather, a strip of natural leather, and a bottle of .5 micron chromium oxide liquid.

The system works as follows: A large magnet is adhered to the top surface of the base. A magnet is also adhered to each of the strips of leather. When you want to use a particular leather, just lay it on the base and you're good to go. The leather will not move. The conditioned leather is used daily for stropping (polishing) the edge. The natural leather is used with the honing compound to restore the sharpness of the edge every week or so. Additional leather can be purchased and used with the numerous diamond pastes available creating more of a honing result.

To date I have been very pleased with this system and feel it is excellent for all straight razor users - especially new ones. I have yet to find a downside to this approach. By starting out with a flat stropping surface, beginners don’t need to worry about other variables like proper tension of the strop, is the strop cupped, etc. Instead they can focus 100% on improving their stropping form.

Throw in the versatility it offers and the fact that it’s half the price of most the recommended hanging strops and I think it’s a winner all around.

Bottom
HandAmerican05.jpg

This is the entire system minus the razor. Leather on base is prepped for stropping with the honing compound.
HandAmerican03.jpg

Side Profile
HandAmerican04.jpg

Conditioned bark tanned leather mounted on base ready for daily stropping
HandAmerican01.jpg

Side view of leather strip. Notice thin magnet adhered to it's bottom and the top of the base.
HandAmerican02.jpg

Interesting. I'm all set to try out str8 razor shaving except for a strop, and this thread gives me another option. Glad to see it rise from slumber and reappear. :biggrin:

The only disadvantage to the HA strop that I can see is that it occupies space on the countertop and is not portable. My strop hangs from the doorknob in the bathroom and takes up no space.

Top Bottom