What's new

Leather SR pouch

I have been looking for a leather pouch to keep my razors in but haven’t found one. Has anyone seen these for sale or know where I might find one.

I have one of these:

It's very nice, and I've been pleased with it. It also comes with a nice drawstring canvas bag (like a Crown Royal bag made of canvas) to keep it and other shaving supplies in.
That looks nice but I’m looking for something to hold multiple SR’s

Isn't leather, or at least some leathers and the chemicals used to treat them bad for steel and razors?

I might consider using a cloth pouch. I got this one with the intention of storing a few watches or a few razors. I have not used it for straights, but a Gold Dollar fits nicely.

I haven’t herd that some leather was bad for steel. Has anyone had issues with this?

I’ve got a leather 7 day roll that I’d travel with, laying the razors out on the case at my destination.

I also have a single leather sleeve that while empty and sitting in an open dresser drawer it grew fuzzy with some mold, in my warm, humid environment.

I wouldn’t store razors in leather long term. Keep mine in silicone impregnated cotton (gun) sleeves

I have always heard not to store firearms in leather for long periods because it will attract moisture. Thats why the silicone gun sleeves are sold.whether it is true or just marketing, I dont know for sure.

I have always heard not to store firearms in leather for long periods because it will attract moisture. Thats why the silicone gun sleeves are sold.whether it is true or just marketing, I dont know for sure.
Both...I am a leather worker I tell all my custom leather customers not to "store" any metal item in the leather for "extended" periods of time for example holsters if they are not lined or gummed (mine are both at their request) some finishes on firearms are let's just say subpar, knives as well but not so much... Straight razors I wouldn't worry about short term as long as it was stored short term and put away dry... As comparison look at vintage SR boxes they are cardboard they deteriorate because of moisture waxed leather (flesh side) would be a good alternative in my opinion. As said before many ways to skin a cat...

Could not find one for my needs, so I had one made.
189EEF23-8AFA-4C28-A717-69E4B5D851DC.jpeg

I haven’t herd that some leather was bad for steel. Has anyone had issues with this?
I have read (I do not have first hand experience) that chrome or chemical tanned leather will cause steel to rust, but that vegetable tanned leather is relatively safe.

I have read (I do not have first hand experience) that chrome or chemical tanned leather will cause steel to rust, but that vegetable tanned leather is relatively safe.
That is correct. Chrome tanned leather is really bad for metal. It will destroy it.
I have had great luck using pencil cases.
Sizes vary
26B659AE-9DC5-4183-8FB1-B31D3D979EFE.jpeg
71728D5D-0084-4357-849C-A17140BCB681.jpeg

Hello, this is something that I have wondered about since i started using straight razors almost exclusively about 3 years ago. I have read many times that the chromium salts used during the tanning process can be corrosive to metals.

I also read somewhere that this is not so true nowdays, assuming the leather is being tanned by a reputable US tannery.

Personnaly for straight razor rollups prefer the soft and supple feel of a chrome tan leather over a veg tanned leather.

I have also been making my own roll ups using Tasman (Acadia leather), and Horween's CXL for years. I always strop and air dry my razors after use and then slide them into there case. I have had no problems with rust of any kind.

So IMO arguing chrome tan leather will ruin your razors is like try to argue you can get a better shave with a cartridge razor.

That's just my experience

Attachments

• 15705188641157724640766283185911.jpg
    15705188641157724640766283185911.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Top Bottom