What's new

Leather Slippers anyone?

Do you have a Bass shoe outlet anywhere nearby or any shoe company that is similar. I was considering a pair of Weejuns for light duty indoor/outdoor wear but ended up buying a pair of "Bass Conway" since they were inexpensive and more comfortable, with a leather upper and lining, rubber sole, and thin insole. They work well for the occasional trip outside to empty the garbage or pick up the mail; where you are mostly walking around barefoot or with socks inside the house. But I suspect this "Conway" model is no longer sold.

LL Bean Men's Leather Double-Sole Slippers, Leather-Lined

They also have a shearling lined option, but if you're trying to avoid stench retention, the leather is better. The only downside is that you'll need to wear socks with your slippers. They are kind of tight for about a month, but once you break them in, you won't go without them at home. I love mine.

I saw these and should have bought them instead of the rubber soled, flannel lined model originally. My only concern was the old floorboards destroying the leather sole on them, hence why I don't just wear socks indoors anymore. I may just buy these when they're on sale or the lb Evans scuff model that another member suggested. Thanks for all the great ideas!

I had these LL Bean slippers for 25 years. I received them the night before we got married.

proxy.php

When it was time to replace them, my wife of 25 years, at the time, bought me these:

proxy.php

Double leather sole and I expect they will outlive me. I think I'll keep the wife for another 25 years or so.

My only concern was the old floorboards destroying the leather sole on them

Full disclosure: after 2 years of wearing them almost constantly, I did in fact wear a hole through the sole of one of them. My tight-wad solution was to buy a piece of leather and an awl and sew a new patch of leather on the bottom of each slipper. Ugly, but chic in a rustic Grisly Adam's sort of way. Plus they are so comfortable when broken in, and I'm sure I'll get another 2-4 years out of them this way. Then I'll buy a new pair.

Full disclosure: after 2 years of wearing them almost constantly, I did in fact wear a hole through the sole of one of them. My tight-wad solution was to buy a piece of leather and an awl and sew a new patch of leather on the bottom of each slipper. Ugly, but chic in a rustic Grisly Adam's sort of way. Plus they are so comfortable when broken in, and I'm sure I'll get another 2-4 years out of them this way. Then I'll buy a new pair.

I call that a creative solution, not tight-wad.

My tight-wad solution was to buy a piece of leather and an awl and sew a new patch of leather on the bottom of each slipper.

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." Good on ya, my depression era farming grandmother would have approved. She darned even my cheap socks when they got holes in them as a kid.

I bought a pair of townview leather moccassins that I use as slippers because they have a soft sole. They're handmade, quality leather, and they come in around $110. Well under your max price. They lasted me for 4 years now. I wear them all the time when I'm at home and no problems with foot odor. I have both the unlined and lined version. The lined version with deerskin is warmer so I wear it in the winter. They're definitely a step up from llbean.

I have a pair of Uggs leather slippers. They are fantastic. I've worn them for about three years now, and they are wearing beautifully.

After years of sheepskin lined moose hides I made the switch to Steger Mukluks Mocs - these are awesome! Technically they are not slippers but are able to be worn outdoors year round. They have a gum rubber type sole which seems to be created by dipping the Mocs into the liquified sole material. Tough product - their products outfit Arctic Explorers (eg: Will Steger, thus the name). High quality moose hide, interchangeable insoles to fit your preference (sheepskin, formed orthotic insoles, super feet insoles, etc.) - 4 colors to pick from (mine are black, my little Mrs. has brown). What more could you want? I love mine. Best of luck choosing.

http://shop.mukluks.com/Scout-Chestnut-Moccasins

Last edited:
I'm a fan of these double-sole handmade moccasins from Town View Leather in Maine. I've had a pair for three years now and they're worth every penny. Super comfortable, durable, and the Town View folks -- a husband and wife team -- are great. http://www.townviewleather.com/

proxy.php

I am never without leather slippers. Mine are always the moccasin, fleece-lined style. I keep an old pair in my travel bag and my current knock around the house slippers are from Cabelas. They are elk skin and lined with a sock-like material. $40-$50 I think.

I saw these and should have bought them instead of the rubber soled, flannel lined model originally. My only concern was the old floorboards destroying the leather sole on them, hence why I don't just wear socks indoors anymore. I may just buy these when they're on sale or the lb Evans scuff model that another member suggested. Thanks for all the great ideas!

I'll put in another vote for the LL Bean leather-lined. Old hardwood floors here, too. Mine are holding up just fine. How long they last will depend on how many miles you put on 'em. They are pretty comfortable once broken in you'll find, even without the shearling lining.

Here's another recommendation for Town View moccasins.
The beauty and craftsmanship on these is above and beyond anything else out there.

$Deerskin_Lined_Double_Sole_Honey_1600x1200__43287_1405462218_1280_1280.jpg

These came out to $118.95 with priority mail shipping - well within your budget.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I was looking at these Town View moccasins many years ago but never pulled the trigger. Instead, I bought a pair of the LL Bean flannel-lined slipper with a rubber sole as opposed to a leather sole. The owners of Town View Leather, Galen and Gayanne Wintle have been producing these quality moccasins for years and years from the basement of their home in Maine.

I believe their son, Mark Wintle, started Wassookeag Moccassins some years ago but I read that he passed away suddenly in 2017 but it appears the business continues to thrive.

I think I am going to order a pair of the Town View moccasins with the deer-skin lining before they decide to close up their basement and this piece of handmade Americana is no longer available.

... and the LL Beans need to be replaced anyway. :biggrin:
58BD037D-EFBA-46E6-B6B2-02B7043E2D38.jpeg

D08119A9-4FE0-41EF-BFDD-DEC78FEC5BB8.jpeg

C76E4B43-E412-40E7-BF4E-292BFD12AAB7.jpeg

88B00C9F-CED0-41CE-8C2D-BAF95C25B78E.jpeg

91386D67-1D35-4408-BAA2-CC34A1C37511.jpeg

B6B280C2-6D4D-49AE-B122-952838193767.jpeg

Top Bottom