What's new

Leather Scents

I received a decant of Creed's Royal English Leather earlier this week. While I enjoy it, the sweetness almost overtakes the leather.

Anyone care to list their favourite leather scents?

This is my White Whale...

I can't seem to find a good leathery scent. I have tried Trumpers SL (too soapy), T&H (too weird), and others. I can't seem to find a good one.

If you like things in that vein, John Varvatos is very nice. Has some exotic ingredients and a leathery thing going on.

Trumper's Spanish Leather is fantastic...one of my favorites. I also love Penhaligon's Opus 1870, although I'm not sure it is a "leather" scent. Seems very woody and leathery to me...

Jeff

I think I am one of the few that is not overly enamoured with Trumper's Spanish Leather. I much prefer Truefitt's version. For me, the leather note explodes from it. I have read speculation that they reformulated it a little while back. However, I received my sample only about six months ago and I love it. If this is the reformulation I have no problem with it!

I also really like Creed's Cuir de Russie. This one certainly would not be for everyone as it is a pretty big turn from most of what is available on the market but, for me, it just has that something.

T&H Spanish leather is nice
Knize Ten is leather / Tobacco combo that's great
Tabac has some leather in it, but not primarily.
Aromatic Cypre from Pecksniffs is also leathery / sweet

My favorite of them is the Knize, but I think that scent isnt one that's loved by everyone, even people who like leather.

The thing I like about leather scents is that they smell, clean I guess. I don't think Penhaligons 1870 smells a bit like leather however. I love that scent, but all I really smell from it is the cedar. It smells like living in an heirloom cedar chest .

Soon some T&H Spanish Leather will be mine, mine, and ALL MINE. Blah hah ha ha hah!

Damn you Austin, look what you've started.

I recently bought a new bottle of T&H Spanish Leather. I really love this cologne. Such a great clean, leathery scent.

acoldspoon said:
Soon some T&H Spanish Leather will be mine, mine, and ALL MINE. Blah hah ha ha hah!

Damn you Austin, look what you've started.

Sorry to be the evil enabler. :biggrin:

Scotto said:
John Varvatos is very nice. Has some exotic ingredients and a leathery thing going on.
No kidding ... some crazy ingredients! I've been meaning to give this one a try.

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur. I just got a sample at Neiman's the other day. It's quite unusual/unique, if you are interested in unique scents. I'm still undecided on it. I need to wear it to find out though. I've never worn a leather scent so its a little different for me.

T&H Spanish Leather is one of my favorite scents period. I can't wear it on a hot day, but last night was cool out so I was able to put it on. Great lasting power. My wife remarked the morning after that a smelled great when I woke up. While very few scents last on me, I've had very good luck with the T&H Spanish Leather and West Indian Limes in this regard. They are both becoming favorites of mine. SL for cool days and WIL for warm ones.

DZING! is one of my favorite scents from L'Artisan. I really have to buy some, as I've only got one sample left. As a very musky scent, I can't wear it for work. But for a night out it is uniquely attractive. Not only do I like the way it smells, but my wife really likes it on me. She is, thank G-d, a big musk fan. I guess it would make sense that we'd like DZING!. We take comfort in our close relationship working with animals, so it would natural that we'd like something reminiscent of a circus.

Another great leather scent is Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia. It is supposed to be reminiscent of an old racing car, and in some ways it is. To this end, it does have a "bracing" gasoline/acetone like top note. This was off putting at first. But the dry down is very pleasing. Once again, not really a scent for work, but interesting for a night out. I like my large sample quite a bit.

All in all, while I like the more unique leathers, T&H wins out.

Caron Tabac Blond.

Leather is super rich and dominates all other scents in this fragrance. Caron markets this for women, but I would not want to meet the woman in a dark alley who wears this. Luca Turin, who was chronicled in The Emporer of Scent by Chandler Burr, said something like the woman who wore this was not the girl you would bring home to mother.

Notes: Leather, vanilla, tobacco, carnation and others

Wear it out on a night on the town in your Maserati -- DON'T wear it to work!

Best leather scent I have ever found, although Knize Ten and Cuir de Russie are close second and third!

Tom

vontech said:
Caron Tabac Blond.

Leather is super rich and dominates all other scents in this fragrance. Caron markets this for women, but I would not want to meet the woman in a dark alley who wears this. Luca Turin, who was chronicled in The Emporer of Scent by Chandler Burr, said something like the woman who wore this was not the girl you would bring home to mother.

Notes: Leather, vanilla, tobacco, carnation and others

Wear it out on a night on the town in your Maserati -- DON'T wear it to work!

Best leather scent I have ever found, although Knize Ten and Cuir de Russie are close second and third!

Tom

Tom,

Where did you pick this up?

Randy

Randy, Tabac Blond is hard to find. I can't remember the vendor that sells it. I think they were in either Italy or France. It may have been offered at Neiman Marcus at one time or another.

Austin said:
Randy, Tabac Blond is hard to find. I can't remember the vendor that sells it. I think they were in either Italy or France. It may have been offered at Neiman Marcus at one time or another.

Andrew,

I've read a lot about it on Basenotes...tried to find it on ebay...it sounds so...decadent!

Randy

Top Bottom