What's new

Leather Scents

What ever happened to English Leather aftershave/Cologne. Is it still available. I used it a couple of decades ago.

"All my men use English Leather" as the TV ad used to say:tongue:

I picked up a mini of English Leather at an after-Christmas sale.

Being used to these high-end leathers, it smelled pretty nasty to me.

I just received my package of Trumper samples, including the Spanish Leather cologne. What can I say? I'll be heading to the store and buy me a bottle. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. It's an incredible, warm, very sophisticated scent which absolutely doesn't fit the fresh, almost lemony profile I'm used to. Love it.

J

Jarmo P

Am I the only one here who uses GranValor Tabac EdT?
It has leather in it as well as some pepper and other spicies.

Jarmo

I just discovered T&H Spanish Leather. These days I have so few opportunities to wear cologne that I find it hard to justify buying an entire bottle that I will have for the rest of my life. Is anyone selling decants?

Thought that I'd wake up this old thread. I read through this when I first joined and I've been trying out leathers ever since. Right now, I have Knize Ten and Trumper's Spanish Leather in my rotation. Very different fragrances, but both are good in the winter. The Knize is by far my favorite.

I also have some decants of Tabac Blond, Creed's REL and Cuir de Russie that I like.

Finally, I have a soft spot for Dana's English Leather. I remember the MEM version from when I was a kid and I think that it's still pretty nice--especially the aftershave.

What's a brief Nid analysis of the Cuir de Russie? I might have tried that one years ago in a brief in store test but don't remember it that well, Intense top notes as I recall. How would you contrast it with REL?

Antaeus or Bel Ami. I get the "leathery" notes when I wear these, but overapplication is very, VERY, easy.

What's a brief Nid analysis of the Cuir de Russie? I might have tried that one years ago in a brief in store test but don't remember it that well, Intense top notes as I recall. How would you contrast it with REL?

I've been nursing it--let me break it out tomorrow and give it a try. I'll report back tomorrow night.

OK--here's my first take on Creed's Cuir de Russie.

I came to Cuir de Russie with heavy expectations. The name itself evokes images of a lone mounted Cossack, racing through a snow-filled birch forest. I expected a wild, primeval scent. I couldn't have been more surprised. If this evokes the Cossack, it is the young Tolstoy writing at his desk in his quarters, watching his men through a frosted window. Or perhaps it is the same young man in a St. Petersburg salon, recounting his experiences to his sophisticated friends.

The first scent that i get is leather, but not the leather of well cared for harnesses. It reminds me of a leather coat that my wife has, glove leather so light and soft that it could be made of matte silk. Only the faintest hint of leather, refined and subdued. Something else too--like a whiff of vodka. A cold alcoholic feeling--almost a scent without scent. The promised wild fragrance of smoke and birch tar never arrives.

The austere feeling fades as I wear it and I get another note--perhaps juniper berry? The leather warms and develops, like a distant whiff of the same leather at the heart of REL. Still, it remains a remote fragrance. I like it, but it isn't me.

Last edited:
Not nearly the same price point as others already mentioned, but I'm a big fan of the C&E Sienna line. Wonderfully deep and sweet leather scent, and I find the entire line from soap to EdT to be matched well and worth the cost.

Nice write up. Looks like REL more of a standout. I sort of remember a heavier birch tar kind of note, but didn't really give a test wear.

Last edited:
I guess that I got dressed this morning at about 6:30 or so. Now, six hours later, I'm reminded of a much fainter version of Knize Ten's drydown. There's definitely a sandalwood note in there.

Top Bottom