What's new

Leather Scales on a John Watts Frameback

I decided that I should try my hand at restoring and shaving with a frameback and was lucky enough to find a John Watts frameback and got it plus shipping for $28.00Cdn. It showed up yesterday in excellent shape but I first assumed that the scales were rubber and badly aged. With a second look, I realized that they are thick stiff leather. I usually give my razors a good soak and scrubbing, but in this case, I'll avoid any water and stick to leather conditioners.

As always, any advice on the age of this razor will be appreciate
John Watts.jpg
d.

I decided that I should try my hand at restoring and shaving with a frameback and was lucky enough to find a John Watts frameback and got it plus shipping for $28.00Cdn. It showed up yesterday in excellent shape but I first assumed that the scales were rubber and badly aged. With a second look, I realized that they are thick stiff leather. I usually give my razors a good soak and scrubbing, but in this case, I'll avoid any water and stick to leather conditioners.

As always, any advice on the age of this razor will be appreciateView attachment 939912 d.
That will be fun to restore!! Great find!!

I might be wrong but I suspect that it might not be leather but very old micarta. I've had two razors from the 1880's that had scales made of half dissolved micarta.

I might be wrong but I suspect that it might not be leather but very old micarta. I've had two razors from the 1880's that had scales made of half dissolved micarta.

+ 1
I will go with Arne on this one I have 2 with the same scales......

They are now cleaned up and the material is looking like it may be manufactured but has good flex and rough inner edges. I've also now read up a bit on Micarta. I have to admit, that scales like these that are durable and flexible seem to make a lot more sense than something brittle. Thanks for the input.

They are now cleaned up and the material is looking like it may be manufactured but has good flex and rough inner edges. I've also now read up a bit on Micarta. I have to admit, that scales like these that are durable and flexible seem to make a lot more sense than something brittle. Thanks for the input.

Yes but they soak up water and they go very soft, I have 2 razors here with the same scales the idea was good when they first came out. But micarta has improved 100 fold since those days......

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have this razor, too, and think the scales are some type of rubber (not that I'm sure about what the scales are made of, but that's what it feels like and looks like to me; very unusual scales!).

JohnWatts.Sheffield.Frameback.640.6-18-19.JPG

This is a photo of the razor as I received it. It has been cleaned up and looks even better now.

My scales are in very good shape as is the razor. I've been trying to get the blade to center, but so far no joy on that. I've not finished trying. The blade is very difficult so far to hone to a level of sharpness acceptable to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim, Mine is cleaned up as well now and I've also had a challenge getting it to the sharpness that I strive for. With an 4,000, 8,000 then 12,000 stone and then 30,000 Chromium Oxide on a linen strop and then leather strop, at best it's an OK shave. I've bought into the understanding that the scales are an early Micarta but also have a challenge straightening them. I have an idea of soaking them and then bracing them while they dry, but haven't tried it yet.

Jim, Mine is cleaned up as well now and I've also had a challenge getting it to the sharpness that I strive for. With an 4,000, 8,000 then 12,000 stone and then 30,000 Chromium Oxide on a linen strop and then leather strop, at best it's an OK shave. I've bought into the understanding that the scales are an early Micarta but also have a challenge straightening them. I have an idea of soaking them and then bracing them while they dry, but haven't tried it yet.

Hi Sir!!!

You are correct they are both an early Micarta and I would advise against soaking them, as they will just suck the water into them and make matters worse as I found out the hard way now I have very soft scales.
So it leave's me with a choice to rescale in the same time period in a black horn as being the better and cheaper option or a donner razor.....

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I wonder if it's possible to get it acceptably sharp? Of course, it's always possible that both of us failed to get a good bevel, but I find that highly unlikely.

Top Bottom