What's new

Leather for homemade strop

Forgive the noob-ness of this question, but I have been offered a piece of thick leather to use as a strop, but it's been cut off an old bit of furniture or bag or something and is white (i.e. coated in something) on the smooth side. Is this even remotely suitable for cutting down into a strop?

Cheers,

Chris

I am noob in straight but have made few of my own strops. Questions are is that leather thick enough (3mm+)? Is it for hanging strop or paddle? If it is thick enough then you can sand that white finish off. If it is not I would not bother. Go to beltmakers or saddlers workshop and for few quid you can have nice thick latigo. Last time (Easter) I got a nice piece 500x70x5mm for £5 in a beltmakers shop in Penzance (Cornwall).

Is it definitely ok to remove the nap of the leather? Wouldn't that make it like suede or nubuck?
I read in an old barber's manual that the nap should be removed with a pumice stone, but I'm reluctant to do it until I have some concrete evidence.
All the strops I see for sale nowadays have the nap intact.

Forgive the noob-ness of this question, but I have been offered a piece of thick leather to use as a strop, but it's been cut off an old bit of furniture or bag or something and is white (i.e. coated in something) on the smooth side. Is this even remotely suitable for cutting down into a strop?

Cheers,

Chris

Hey Chris,

I was thinking about making my own strop as well. You might want to check out Tandy Leather factory

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Belts/4523-190.aspx?feature=Product_6

I have heard they even may let you use their tools... I am not trying to say that you can't do this yourself, but why not take advantage of getting a beginner's strop from Tony Miller. I am planning on getting one either this week and I really like everything I have heard about them! Try reading the description of Tony Miller's philosophy on his webpage. This description convinced me to abandon my do-it-yourself strop idea.

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/main.sc;jsessionid=C973DF88D29DCBD00BB64D08D4D5112C.qscstrfrnt03

Top Bottom