What's new

Leather Duffle Bags...

I'm looking for a lifetime grade leather duffle.

I need it to be large enough for at least a long weekend's worth of clothes (I tend to pack light so I can fit a week in most "weekend" bags).

I also need it to feature buckles/straps. Zippers break all the time, I don't want to have to replace them.

Is Saddleback my best bet? I don't mind spending the money, I'm turning 22 in 11 days so, assuming I live to the "average" age of 82, I'm looking at 60 years of use.

Saddlebacks will last that long and be good bags. Their hundred-year guarantee will actually ensure that you won't pay for another bag, if you don't want to. Not sure if I'd be a fan of their looks or weight personally, but if you are then it's a solid investment.

Ralph Lauren:

Attachments

• $rl1.jpg
    $rl1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 306
  • $rl2.jpg
    $rl2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 307
Saddleback is the product you are looking for. You won't be able to touch anything of the same quality at that price.

Chris

Ordered it last night. Good thing I got a job last week.

Once the duffle is all paid for, I might see about getting a satchel or the travel case.

Bought a friend the travel case.

Me, i stick with canvas or nylon. I've traveled the world many times, and the weight becomes an issue.

That said the Saddleback Waterbag is an excellent design for those going 'all leather" and Filsons for everything else.

I would really love to have a bag like that, but I just can't see myself using it for anything other than a weekend trip in my own car when I didn't have to carry it very far. If we lived in an age (and I was part of a class!) where we'd have our bag with us on the train or it would be well-cared for on a ship, I'd be in. If I was traveling to places where I didn't have to lug it myself, the old fashioned shape of a bag like that would be charming. It just seems heavy, impractical and susceptible to damage by the elements. If you're actually going to travel to rough places, I'd opt for Maxpedition over Saddleback. For conventional travel (commercial air and the like), I think you'd get around better with a well-reviewed suitcase with wheels and a pull handle. Is there anybody here who has traveled extensively with a bag like that and can give us an idea of how it held up?

While not with a leather one, i've traveled all over Europe and the Middle East. The primary factor against leather is the weight, and it can't really be repaired. Also, unless it's VERY high grade (Saddleback) it's not weatherproof.

I don't expect a bag to be, while nylon is 'resistant' it's no dive bag. I've always waterproofed all my gear with ziplocs and things, whether it was in a ruck in the field or in civilian luggage traveling, just because things happen.

A good leather bag can hold up many years, but be aware of what can happen to one before you buy. Even Indiana Jones used canvas (A Brit gas mask bag)....

In Victorian times, when dang near everything was made out of leather, popular travel gear was the 'carpetbag", usually a leather bottom with canvas/upholstered/fabric for the majority of the body. They call this "a clue".

I have a holdall from Chapman bags in the UK - Sturdy, waterproof canvas but lightweight and great looking - everyone from colleagues to taxi drivers have complemented it. I have no doubt the saddle-back stuff is good but I don't care for the weight or style much.

have used a full thickness bullhide duffle I bought from orvis 30 years ago,has been all over the world,will last my lifetime +++++++++.

+1 for Chapman. Beautiful, solid bags, waterproof (usually a layer of rubber sandwiched between two layers of canvas), great customer service. I agree with devorenm about Saddleback

I have to agree with the negatives about Saddleback. I cancelled my order and I'm currently looking into cheaper, lighter, but equally reliable canvas options.

Quality waxed canvas bags (something from Filson, for example), are bags that should last a lifetime as well.

Cheers!

While I do like Saddleback (having bought the travel case for a friend) for carrying large items, I'd recommend looking into a Filson. Their canvas bags will easily last you 30-40 years of hard use if the bag design fits your needs.

There are several other canvas makers that build solid stuff as well, but Filson's been in business since the Yukon gold rush, they know what they're doing.

I'd never check a leather bag with any airline. As Mike said, if we lived in an age when travel was more civilized, leather luggage would be a nice addition. So until I ride the Orient Express from Paris to Istanbul, my Filson duffle bag will more than suffice.

I will soon be the proud owner of a Filson Medium Duffle Bag and a Saddleback Leather Small Travel Case.

The travel case will see some use hiking through the mountains around here, I can clip my water bottle to it and pack a lunch inside as well as using it for travel.

Nice Dp! You will absolutely love your saddleback bag. I have several from their line and have loved them since the day I got them. Even my shaving kit is one of their bags. It will serve you will.

I have the Saddleback duffle and I think it is great for travelling. I used it on a trip to the Alps and if you switch the straps around, you could wear it as a backpack. No offense to anyone for their preferences but being 6'3 and athletic, I didnt find it at all heavy while carrying all over Heathrow, Nice, Monte Carlo, The Alps.

Top Bottom