What's new

Leather Belt Emergency Strop?

Hi Guys,

If away travelling and without a strop, I've heard of guys using newspapers and other items as emergency strops - It just occurred to me when putting on my leather belt that the back of the belt could possibly be used as a temporary strop, it's surface is very like my regular strop.

Would this be OK in the short term I wonder?

Hi Guys,

If away travelling and without a strop, I've heard of guys using newspapers and other items as emergency strops - It just occurred to me when putting on my leather belt that the back of the belt could possibly be used as a temporary strop, it's surface is very like my regular strop.

Would this be OK in the short term I wonder?
Sure, as long as it's not to cupped or has stiches, go for it.

Newspaper is my choice.
But there is a ton of options, cardboard, seat belt, denim cloth, actually any flat, not to hard surface will do in a pinch.

DONT DO THIS AT HOME:

Back in the days it wasn't unusual for people to strop on their palm.
It works because your skin is actually not-yet-dried leather...

Stropping on your thigh is another option that works BUT COULD OF COURSE BE VERY DANGEROUS.

END DISCLAMER

If anything will work, why is leather the major option for strops? Convention? Leather is nice, I enjoy owning it, but I'm still curious.

If anything will work, why is leather the major option for strops? Convention? Leather is nice, I enjoy owning it, but I'm still curious.

My $.02 I think it's cause back in the day things were done the right way not the fastest easiest most convenient least amount of skill possible over hyped over advertised mass produced way. :thumbdown
Things were done the right way: is this the best way, will it yield the best results, and last long enough to be worth my investment (usually at least a lifetime or 2). :thumbup: If the answers are yes next step apply your skills accordingly, usually passed down from master to apprentice.

Yes, it will work fine. In addition, you can strop using the heal of your hand; that's what I do on short trips (I bring my strop on longer ones).

Top Bottom