What's new

Leather and an Afternoon.

I decided today that for my second of three days off I needed a project that would absorb the majority of the afternoon, and had a slight chance of producing something worth while (although most of the time it doesn't!). I then decided that the leather I bought a year ago on sale had to go. It was stuffed into a drawer and while adding other material last week, I broke the drawer which put the leather against the wall, and the dogs began eyeing it. :drool:

Here is what I came up with, thus far...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm thinking that I will add a handle to the top and rivet it on, and then for the strap, I may end up cutting it off completely and resewing it on to add some depth to it. A brass buckle will be added at a later date should I change my mind again and go for a totally different latching device. The inside will be lined with some kind of fabric but I haven't decided on that either, probably some kind of canvas (darn spur of the moment projects!). It needs another coat of dye, but I'm currently out since I dumped the jar into my hand towards the end of the first coat.

It won't win any prizes, and it sure isn't on par with the $200+ ones out there but I kind of like how it has turned out so far. What do you all think?

Wooah! Amazing for an afternoons work!

Im terms of keeping it closed.... What about putting a magnet at the end of the "tongue" and another one in the bottom of the case where it winds around to?

I have to think about how to keep it closed. My original idea was to use a buckle like that on a belt to add some brass to accent the darker color. Then I went to visit Tandy Leather today on my way home to see if I could get any ideas and found a couple little latches that interlock (kind of like those on the old wooden chests). I also saw the magnets there, and adding them would simple enough. I also am thinking of adding little pouches to the lining material in order to keep the smaller items from just being tossed inside. Who knows! That's the major problem with a lot of these project I just jump into. I have no idea where its going and only a slight idea on how it will look when its done. But, it does a great job of killing time! Thank you for the kind words.

Nah, keep it old school. Big brass buckle.

Im strongly leaning that way. I may cut the "tongue" off and then resew it on to just mix up the look a little.

Wow that seems pretty handy. Is there a slit to close it?

Not yet. Since it was a spur of the moment project that's as far as I got. I'll probably spend the next week or so trying to decide which way to take it next.

You are the creator so I am sure that you will make a good decision. Please show pics of the next afternoon :001_smile.

Al raz.

Not yet. Since it was a spur of the moment project that's as far as I got. I'll probably spend the next week or so trying to decide which way to take it next.

Top Bottom