What's new

Least expensive blade on the market?

I was just pondering grabbing some Astra SP, as they're 9.99 shipped for a hundred pack on Amazon right now (at least for Prime). I'm usually buying Feathers, so these are darn cheap! It got me wondering, what's the cheapest blade price out there on a per blade basis (any brand). 9.99 cents for the Astra's is the price to beat :). I've heard of some down in the 7 cent range, but don't recall what brand. If you happen to have a source, point that out too.

There are some blades at BestShave that are under 5 cents a blade if I recall correctly.

That being said, the amount of AS you're going to need to use to make up for a poor shave is going to be much greater than the price difference. Also, life is way too short to save 3-4 pennies on a blade. I think you'll find most of the "budget" blades are downright awful to use.

Oh yah, indeed. I don't have any interest in actually buying the cheapest blade..I was just curious how low it went. I shave pretty much every day with Feathers, so price doesn't really matter to me.

There are some blades at BestShave that are under 5 cents a blade if I recall correctly.

That being said, the amount of AS you're going to need to use to make up for a poor shave is going to be much greater than the price difference. Also, life is way too short to save 3-4 pennies on a blade. I think you'll find most of the "budget" blades are downright awful to use.

I vote for these. There smooth & sharp. 5¢ a blade.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Folks will go and spend $40 to $70 bucks on a new dbl. edge razor then hunt for the least expensive blade. This logic escapes me, but then YMMV?

I'm not planning on doing that..this is just an academic exercise :).

Folks will go and spend $40 to $70 bucks on a new dbl. edge razor then hunt for the least expensive blade. This logic escapes me, but then YMMV?

In 62 years of earning my own money and learning to get value for the dollar, the lowest price has almost never been a successful choice for me, whether it was cars, garden hoses, model plane engines (what I spent some of my very first newspaper delivery money on), or wrist watches.

Absent any other guides, the highest priced things often had a lot of "false value" tied up in name recognition, such as Cadillacs vs Buicks. No Caddy was ever really worth 25-30% more than an equivalent Buick! The very cheapest very often is the poorest quality, and an even worse value than the overpriced item.

Just a stray comment, something out of the bleachers, as it were.

From what I've learned on B&B and from my own experience, there's no clear-cut association between blade price and blade shave quality. For example, expensive Merkurs get lots of bad comments and expensive Feathers don't work for everyone (and I myself get only 2 shaves from them), while very inexpensive blades such as Derby's, Sharks, and Rapiras work well for many shavers. I myself have a blade rotation that includes relatively expensive Perma-sharp Supers and Gillette Yellows (though purchased in large quantities at just 17 cents or so each) as well as very cheap Derby's, which in fact work well for me. I could happily include very cheap Treet Durasharp Classics, Rapiras, and others as well.

Cheapest I've seen locally were Laser Super Stainless blades at ~$0,065 per blade (when buying 5 blade pack in supermarket). I may actually try them after I try Rapiras and Voskhods I've bought yesterday. Trying to find best locally available blades. Not having to order blades on internet would be ideal.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The cheapest DE blade I have ever seen were Huang Chow made in <drumroll> China. I think they worked out to around .03 per blade. Not the best DE blade I ever tried, that's for sure, but they do shave. Corking helps.

Laser is such a shame. A brand like that with a range of items from creams to carts should do well but I find even their top shelf offering to be sub.

In the end it is all personal preference. I do get bothered when I see the drum beaters harp on a brand either up or down on here. It's a hobby so I would suggest to try as many things as you can without breaking the bank. You never know what you'll find out for yourself.

I vote for these. There smooth & sharp. 5¢ a blade.
attachment.php
I would love to pick these up in bulk. I was PIF'd a couple of these and the shave was great. I'm still holding on to one of these because I don't want to use the last one. A link would be great, please post or PM the link, thanks.

I bought some locally made blades in Israel at 48ILS for 200 blades.
That works out at aboit 6.2 US cents per blade.
And they're pretty darn good, I sent 20 to the blade exchange thread if anyone wants to try them out.

Derby Blades are also extremely cheap. $13.22 shipped for 200 on Amazon. They are a bit more polarizing in their reviews than Astras but I find them to be pretty good blades

I don't think price has anything to do with the shave, unless we are talking about dirt cheap Chinese blades.

I don't care what blades cost, because they are so cheap. For me Dorco and Derby are great. And Chroma, which are fairly expensive, are my least favorite blade on the planet.

Top Bottom