What's new

Least amount of packaging for blades?

if it all comes down to using less and being greener why not just find a way to resharpen and reuse???
or go with a straigt.

but then again that might not be a feesable option lol..

if it all comes down to using less and being greener why not just find a way to resharpen and reuse???
or go with a straigt.

but then again that might not be a feesable option lol..

When you sharpen a blade, any blade, you're basically filing a small amount of metal off it*. A DE blade is already paper thin and I think it comes down to diminishing returns if you try to sharpen one. As for the straight, I agree with you so I'm not going to argue. :biggrin:

*One of you knife guys is free to correct me here.

Unless they changed the packaging, the bulk Dorco 100 pack (10x10) comes in one large cardboard package that holds 10 plain cardboard packages, with each blade wrapped in plain paper wrappers.
Righty-O. I got these just the other day:

proxy.php

Each has ten packs of ten blades

proxy.php

All packaging is paper/cardboard

Between the blades themselves and the packaging, this is a 100% recyclable arrangement. It also helps that I love the shave from these blades so much, they've become my new standard.

And, the real killer: these 200 blades set me back $16 (exclusive of shipping). Given that I get at least a solid five shaves with each blade, my expense comes around to 8¢ a week, or somewhere under 2¢ a shave, not counting the other ingredients for a shave.

Edit: The Dorco ST-301s, near as I can tell, come in plastic ten-packs, even when bought in bulk, unlike the ST-300s.

(Somewhere, a Gillette suit, having just read this, is pouring himself a single-malt and pulling a revolver from a locked drawer...)

- Barrett

Last edited:
^^^ Recycling is good, but it's in third place behind Reduce and Reuse.
Under some circumstances that may not be the case; you have to define what you mean by "good" first. (And I'll be first to admit I hate plastic blade packages.) Regardless, it is a good idea to reduce packaging when possible, but keep in mind you are still using a disposable item. If packaging is your primary criteria when selecting a blade, perhaps you should consider a straight.

Last edited:
The Israeli Personna (also call IP or Crystal) and Red Pack Personna are different. letterk has wonderful post regarding these blades. This post also has a picture of the Israeli Personna's in the cardboard box of 100. I have seen the boxes of 100 for sale on eBay.

The Red IP's I got about a year ago, and they may be different now, came in a folding cardboard envelop sort of thing with 20 cardboard packs, each pack with 5 paper wrapped blades.

The Israeli Personnas that I get from Westcoastshaving come in packs like this,

proxy.php

And although they only ship 10 in a pack, I can easily fit over a year's worth of used blades back into those plastic containers. You'd be surprised how many blades fit into those things when they're not in their paper wrappers.

They also come in a carton of 100 in just the wrappers, without the plastic containers, which has to be the hands down winner for minimal packaging.

I tried one from a sampler pack, and got good shaves with it, but I had already stocked up on a blade that I like better, the Treet Durasharp Classic.

That blade comes in cardboard cartons of 10, and cardboard is much more readily recyclable or degradeable than plastic.

As for the used blades, I have a stack with two twist-ties strung through them. When the stack gets up to 50 or more, I'll twist down the ties snugly, run two more through the center slot and tie them for security, then toss it in the scrap metal bin at the county recycling center.

LOL. They are all independent actions towards a greater whole. Not to say some products can't utilize a combination of all three.

It's fine that you disagree, but at least try to show some respect.

I don't think they're independent actions either. Your primary goal, whether as a business or individual, should be to use as little as possible (reduce). If you can't make do without try to use something you already have (reuse). If you can't reuse a whole unit at least break the unit down into its components so it doesn't have to be created from scratch (recycle). There's a reason they list all three at the same time.

Here are the "Israeli Personnas". As has been mentioned, within this box of 100. each blade is simply wrapped in a paper wrapper. this, I believe, is the ultimate in minimal packaging and they are an excellent blade besides. You should be able to find them on Ebay.

Regards,
Tom

They also come in a carton of 100 in just the wrappers, without the plastic containers, which has to be the hands down winner for minimal packaging.
That's the other favorite blade of mine, which just happens to come in very efficient packaging. (Look, I really do go for shave quality first; I'm just really happy my two fave blades come in largely eco-friendly packaging. I'm seriously going to pitch the DE thing to my local food co-op as something they should look into!).

- Barrett

Slightly OT, but Tom Watson of King County Waste and the EcoConsumer columnist of the Seattle Times recommended to us AGAINST RECYCLING:
, rather throwing the filled up blade bank in the landfilll:

“ I believe that could pose a risk for the people who process recyclables on a sorting line (at plants like this - http://www.wmnorthwest.com/cascaderecycling/profile.html). What if the blades fall out of the can, or people don’t do it the way you suggest? Those blades are such a small amount of waste (and are more efficient by being double-sided) that the Safety razor is still a very green product…”

Just another perspective that I never considered.

Tom is also speaking at the Seattle Green Festival at 2pm Sat 2/28 on Consumption. Great guy!

Slightly OT, but Tom Watson of King County Waste and the EcoConsumer columnist of the Seattle Times recommended to us AGAINST RECYCLING:
, rather throwing the filled up blade bank in the landfilll:

“ I believe that could pose a risk for the people who process recyclables on a sorting line (at plants like this - http://www.wmnorthwest.com/cascaderecycling/profile.html). What if the blades fall out of the can, or people don’t do it the way you suggest? Those blades are such a small amount of waste (and are more efficient by being double-sided) that the Safety razor is still a very green product…”

Just another perspective that I never considered.

Tom is also speaking at the Seattle Green Festival at 2pm Sat 2/28 on Consumption. Great guy!

That is a very interesting perspective. I've been keeping mine in a tin for about six months and I think I can safely assume it'll be several years before it's full. Anyway, once the thing is full I'll crush it with some equipment at work effectively rendering it a solid mass. Another option is to solder or weld the can shut if/when it gets filled.

Decade old? So what, it is still applicable today. My Astras, Voskhods, Sharks and Bics don't come in plastic packaging.

Decade old? So what, it is still applicable today. My Astras, Voskhods, Sharks and Bics don't come in plastic packaging.
Well, while I don't know exactly how the blade supply looked like 10 years ago, the op clearly had some trouble finding blades that aren't packaged in plastic. I would argue that the issue is largely non-existent today, as there are dozens of different high quality blades packaged in just paper and cardboard. Point being that you don't have to choose between having good shave and being eco-friendly.

There's been a community talk lately about all the excess of packaging we generate with our h̶o̶a̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ buying of shaving gear. Tons of boxes, bubble wrap, product packaging, plastic bags, plastic tape etc. Thinking that this hobby is saving the environment by not using disposable razors is a fallacy.

There's also push back against soap makers to start offering refills for reusable containers instead of soaps in disposable plastic tubs. All this plastic garbage we generate ends in the landfills or exported to third world countries since it cannot be recycled (despite what the gov tells you).

B

Barney14

Why bother pissing about recycling a few razor blades, China is chucking out all sorts of nasties, the developed world will not or can't cut back and we don't have the right to tell the developing world not to strive for what we have.

Perhaps grow a beard, eat lentils and live in a solar powered yurt.

Well as long as you(or someone else) actually use's what you buy, it's not wasteful. And if you actually hoard stuff and still think it's ecological, well i can't help you there. However that's probably the small minority anyway.

In any case as hobbies goes, the most fervorous purchasing phase is often in the beginning, I don't expect most people continuing to buy 10 soaps a year after the first 10 years. And as hobbies goes, the impact on the environment is fairly mild, and if you want, it can be nonexistent.

Top Bottom