What's new

Learning with a shavette?

I should probably mention that apart changing from DE to Shavette I also changed the soap from Proraso Sensitive to Mitchell's Wool Fat (learning to achieve a good lather with it is a separate process, and admittedly I am not quite there yet) and the brush from top of the line Silver Tip Mühle to boar, which is not quite broken in yet and rather rough on the skin. All within the last two weeks, which has definitely contributed to skin irritation. Couple that with poor technique, as described above, and potentially less-than-perfect blade and you end up with a sore face like mine. I'm sure there are many out there who have had a very different experience. The Barbette by Böker is excellent in itself, so I have to conclude it's my lack of skill alone.

BTW what did you chose as your first blade? I am now near-decided for a 6/8 Spanish point Ralf Aust. Open to suggestions (from others too) unless it should be a separate post. Also I won't lie, I am anticipating a very different (better!) experience with a proper SR!
I bought an H. Diamond 1000 from a professional razor honer. It was a good and gentle experience.

…as it simply stopped in its tracks and without applying greater force I risked it going sideways…
You may be using too much of the blade at once. Even though it’s 10cm long (or whatever it is), try taking only 1-2cm wide strips of stubble off at a time.

@LJM - "I had to pull relatively hard for the (brand new) blade to go through my whiskers".

That is a big clue. When you have to pull like that, we call that "tugging". If the blade tugs, it is not sharp enough to shave. Especially as your whiskers are not thick. When I shave with a well maintained straight razor, the blade just wipes the hair away - like a car's windshield wiper.

Maybe you need a different (better) brand blade. When I shaved with a double edged safety razor, it took me a while to find the right blade. Some were terrible and caused great irritation while others were perfect for me.

Just following up on the above - preparation is very important. I wash my face (beard) with a good penetrating soap, even if I have just showered. Then I spend a few minutes with a hot towel on my face. It is a barber's type thick towel. I soak it with the hottest water from my tap and then I wring it out before applying to my face. This makes a difference.

Reactions: LJM
I am 3 shaves in with the AC SR and I have to say I am blown away. I still have some trouble spots, the point of my chin for example. Learning the best grip in which areas is still a learning process as well. I shave with some very aggressive DE razors and this method is blowing them away as far as efficiency is concerned.
Can you learn with a shavette? Emphatically yes! Here's why I say that.

Learning is a life long process. What I learned today will be refined tomorrow, unlearned and relearned tomorrow, or abandoned as not valid tomorrow. In the beginning of the learning process something has to trigger the passion. Does it matter what that trigger is?

The learning curve is riddled with mistakes and errors. The less damage done (in our case to face or wallet) promotes working through these errors to arrive on the side of efficiency.

My technique will suck for sometime. I will not be good at this until a little further down the path. Why make the path harder by introducing many variables that I can limit. If the beginning of the journey is smooth (no pun intended) then the chance that I will continue once I have more skill to navigate challenges, is far greater.

The further down any path we travel the more parts of the picture become clearer. My view is clearer to me and not just regurgitated information from a skilled traveler that might not apply to me. For example which do I want, a 4/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, or 8/8. Ol' Bob might be a master but his 8/8 might be the worst fit for my hand once I learn. I might not have even known there were different sizes has I not started somewhere.

I have learned that in the beginning of this journey that I do not want a kamisori style as I thought yesterday. My learning has grown to know to things: 1) a kamisori is meant to be used with one side facing the skin always, and 2) at this stage, I like to flip the blade to get the best feeling grip in certain areas. I never would have know this had I not had an idea (the beginning) and then did some reading (passion at the start of the travel). Maybe once I am more learned and skilled, this might be an option.

@ralph029, I'm glad you are finding your way. Later on down the road you might try a kamisori. You can easily shave with both sides, although you may need to adjust the angle. And it is not all that difficult to shave without flipping the blade. But I think what you are doing is best. Master what you are doing now, and then consider moving on.

@ralph029, I'm glad you are finding your way. Later on down the road you might try a kamisori. You can easily shave with both sides, although you may need to adjust the angle. And it is not all that difficult to shave without flipping the blade. But I think what you are doing is best. Master what you are doing now, and then consider moving on.
Happy Turkey Day sir!

Top Bottom