What's new

Learning to shave ATG, need help

Hey all,

I have been de shaving for a good few months. I have been getting continual improvements. I'm very happy with my wtg and xtg passes, and have been mostly ignoring ATG. I have started trying to attempt ATG again lately to see if I can now get a closer shave without irritation.

I can now go under my adams apple ATG without issue. I think the reason is my hair isn't very course there. When I try anywhere else, I feel like the blade constantly catches in multiple hairs, and it's a rough process. I currently just power through it, and it does get there without too much irritation. But it's not a pleasant experience. Is there any tricks to reducing the roughness of ATG in particular, or is my experience kind of normal?

For info, in using razorock GC 84 OC, Gillette platinum, yaqi brush, range of creams.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Are you using short strokes? In problem areas that's a big key. Especially when your feeling the razor catch. If you try to power through those ques you'll get irritation every time. Stretch the skin, use short strokes and no pressure.

ATG is not always necessary. You could do multiple diagonal passes.

That said, I think it's a combination of several factors. Mostly a very slick lather, a very sharp blade and, for me, a shallow angle between blade and skin, with short, quick strokes. Also, make sure the skin is taut, stretching it if needed. You may want to practice with a milder razor if you have one.

"Catching" to me sounds like your angle is too steep, so that you are scraping the hair away rather than slicing it.

Are you using short strokes? In problem areas that's a big key. Especially when your feeling the razor catch. If you try to power through those ques you'll get irritation every time. Stretch the skin, use short strokes and no pressure.

Long strokes actually, because I feel like I need momentum to get through! I haven't had success with stretching skin , but will give it a shot ATG and see how I like it. I'll try short strokes too. Thanks

ATG is not always necessary. You could do multiple diagonal passes.

That said, I think it's a combination of several factors. Mostly a very slick lather, a very sharp blade and, for me, a shallow angle between blade and skin, with short, quick strokes. Also, make sure the skin is taut, stretching it if needed. You may want to practice with a milder razor if you have one.

"Catching" to me sounds like your angle is too steep, so that you are scraping the hair away rather than slicing it.

Thanks for the reply. I don't overly feel like I need ATG, as my shave is very good without. It's just knowing it I could do ATG, I'd get that little bit closer.

As well as shorter strokes, and stretching skin, I'll make sure I'm riding the cap. Although I do also get this exact experience with yaqi doc as well.

Long strokes actually, because I feel like I need momentum to get through! I haven't had success with stretching skin , but will give it a shot ATG and see how I like it. I'll try short strokes too. Thanks
Maybe try blade buffing WTG and see if you even need ATG.

I am lucky and my skin can take a heck of a scraping if I mess up, but for the most close and comfortable shaves I do ATG but with a shallow angle riding the top cap of the razor. I also do about 5-6 short strokes on a section I am doing and then two longer strokes to clean anything left.

Also, what is your prep like @persistent analyst ?

...As well as shorter strokes, and stretching skin, I'll make sure I'm riding the cap. Although I do also get this exact experience with yaqi doc as well.
I think practice will help a lot. Everyone says "no pressure" but in actual fact, you do need some pressure when going ATG and riding the cap. I don't want to encourage anyone to get razor burn, though!

The trick is to finely control the pressure. When you get it right, the skin will rise to meet the blade and the whiskers will get sliced off close without scraping the skin. Short strokes will help here.

Start on your cheeks, very forgiving area. Should use a good sharp blade (makes the difference) and well hydrated lather....that frosting like soap is NOT good if you are struggling. Good prep. And finally if it causes much irritation, skip it and do 2 xtg one in each direction.....might be enough. Most people with weepers/cuts it's because they overshave....

Maybe try blade buffing WTG and see if you even need ATG.

I am lucky and my skin can take a heck of a scraping if I mess up, but for the most close and comfortable shaves I do ATG but with a shallow angle riding the top cap of the razor. I also do about 5-6 short strokes on a section I am doing and then two longer strokes to clean anything left.

Also, what is your prep like @persistent analyst ?

Blade buffing wtg won't catch anything after ive made it to atg. Short strokes is the consistent message I seem to be getting. Thanks.

Prep is wash face and then let lather sit for a few minutes before relathering. That's the best approach I can find for the limited time I have in the morning for preparation.

I think practice will help a lot. Everyone says "no pressure" but in actual fact, you do need some pressure when going ATG and riding the cap. I don't want to encourage anyone to get razor burn, though!

The trick is to finely control the pressure. When you get it right, the skin will rise to meet the blade and the whiskers will get sliced off close without scraping the skin. Short strokes will help here.

That sounds like a good strategy to try. Thanks.

Start on your cheeks, very forgiving area. Should use a good sharp blade (makes the difference) and well hydrated lather....that frosting like soap is NOT good if you are struggling. Good prep. And finally if it causes much irritation, skip it and do 2 xtg one in each direction.....might be enough. Most people with weepers/cuts it's because they overshave....

Thanks. I have been starting there. I can do it without too much irritation on my cheeks (although I wouldn't want to do it regularly), but it's certainly not pleasant. I'd like to figure ATG out, but as you say if I can't get it to work, I'll probably stick with my current wtg, xtg, xtg. Although my second xtg is almost redundant lately - so may just settle on two passes.

I go slower, and I would say I use medium strokes ... one stroke for sure from lip to nose. I tend to naturally speed up when I use shorter strokes, and that can be a little risky when going ATG.

Using the Karve SS D plate is working wonders for me. Blade is held tight and rigid. I don’t have as easy a time with other milder razors in my collection. Unlikely what others are saying, I ride the bar more. I find I get more nicks when riding the cap.

However, for context, I also don’t have the thickest growth.

Actually, if you have a Rockwell 6S, try that. You can see if there is a plate that better suits your ATG technique.

Some great suggestions above!

To reiterate: ATG is NOT required.

A few suggestions that may help:
#1. Map your beard to understand what ATG direction really is, especially in the problem areas.
#2. NO (or very minimal) pressure, especially going ATG.
#3. Watch your razor angle.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want! :a14: :a14:

Blade buffing wtg won't catch anything after ive made it to atg. Short strokes is the consistent message I seem to be getting. Thanks.

Prep is wash face and then let lather sit for a few minutes before relathering. That's the best approach I can find for the limited time I have in the morning for preparation.
You could always buff XTG or ATG. I did ATG buffing today, but I am hypermiling a blade right now and so it only got me to DFS right now. It really is the short strokes that seem to help me and skin stretching a bit either my contorting my face or pulling with my free hand. My skin seems to be able to take a lot before I get irritation. So, I guess experiment at your own risk of irritation. Also, maybe a super wet lather might help to get more slickness?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have a lot of things to try. It could take a while to work through all the ideas, as I'm recovering from the last ATG attempt, and probably only want to try ATG a couple of times a week to minimise irritation.

Stick with it you’ll learn it, it’s a muscle memory thing it just needs practice. Day by day it’ll get closer and smoother. A wet lather is important and stretching and persistence.

I’ve been DE shaving for 3 months now and I have the same ATG neck issues. My cheeks can handle anything. My neck is sensitive even XTG if the angle and pressure isn’t right. I found my Fatboy on a mild setting with sharp Gillette Platinum blade is better. Less aggression requires better practice of a tighter angle. Skin stretching has improved closeness miraculously. I add water to my lather until it’s shiny and goopy like pudding - way slicker performance than whip cream.

ATG on the neck may be a long ways out for that perfect BBS. A diagonal pass or two has worked well enough for now

I had similar ATG issues as persistent analyst that still feels like yesterday (in reality, several+ months). Assuming you have slick lather dialed in, it seems like you and Altonius are having an angle issue. You really need a shallow angle (riding the cap). Start with the handle perpendicular to your face and gradually move the handle closer to your face. The razor will not cut the first couple strokes, but then you will feel or hear the blade start slicing hairs -- that is your angle. The angle of your neck changes dramatically, so you need short strokes to reset to the proper angle.

With that said, you do not need ATG passes and/or need to go ATG on all areas of your face to get BBS shaves. For example, I only go WTG/XTG/XTG on my mustache and chin. I have been shaving 6 days a week lately and only going ATG on my neck on Sundays or Saturdays if I even need to. For the rest of the week, I get close enough with 1.5 WTG passes on my neck after 24 hours of rest.

Top Bottom