What's new

Learning to Love It

Or at least I hope so.

Today I decided to start a little project. After spending all of last week getting to know and love my r41 (previously my least favorite razor I own due to noob), I've taken on the task of getting to know my second least favorite.

The Merkur 12C.

I hate this razor for all of the opposite reasons that I very mistakenly hated the r41. Where originally I felt the r41 to be too aggressive, I find the 12c to be entirely too mild.

Having said that, I've decided to spend up to a month to figure this razor out. I say "up to" because if I manage to start getting good shaves consistently with it, I'll just move it into rotation.

Now then, a little background:
I've been wetshaving for a couple of years now, albeit not super consistently. I spent a few months on DEs and then moved to straights, eventually going through a brief "scruffy" phase where I would only trim my beard with trimmers. Now I'm back to DEs, quite happily.

My beard is coarse, my skin somewhat sensitive.

I shave in the evening and my usual prep consists of washing my face with hot water and various face-washes, followed by a few drops of C.O. Bigelow or Musgo Real pre-shave oil (tried shave secret and wasn't crazy about it, probably used too much).

For the course of the project I'll be sticking to TOBS Avocado cream (I'm a soap guy, but I'm sitting on all of these creams so I'm trying to use them up), but I'll be experimenting with various blades until I find one that outperforms the others in this particular razor.

So, without further ado, on with the project.

Day 1

Prep - Hot water and face wash, followed by 2 drops of C.O. Bigelow pre-shave oil
SC - Tobs Avocado
Brush - Semogue 2011 LE in Finest Badger #1
Razor - 12C
Blade - Polsilver

Result:
Being the first shave off the r41, I find it odd that I can hardly feel or hear any feedback. I continue on under the assumption that just because I can't hear the whiskers coming off, doesn't mean they aren't. Overall, not the closest shave, but very comfortable. No nicks, no razor burn. A little stubble left behind under the chin and on left cheek. Funnily, the two places that used to give me the hardest time (adam's apple and the bit under where my jaw curves) are totally smooth.

Conclusion: I think my angle is off from learning the r41. Maybe I need to be a little more parallel and less perpendicular to my face. Not totally familiar with Polsilvers but in this razor it might not be sharp enough. Will try it one more time and move on to another blade.

Day 2

Prep - Hot water and face wash, followed by 2 drops of shave secret shave oil
SC - TOBS Avocado
Brush - Semogue 830
Razor - 12C
Blade - Polsilver (2)

Result:
2nd shave of the project and 2nd shave on this blade. Still very little feedback from this razor, although I played with angle a bit and got a little more. Didn't seem to cut any closer though. Still not super close shave, but this time some razor burn and definitely some sting from the AS. No nicks, no weepers, face feels pretty smooth right now but I need a good 15-20 minutes to see how much stubble I actually left behind. I have a sneaking suspicion the same rough spots are going to be left behind.

Conclusion: I think my angle was a bit better, a little more parallel, so I was able to feel/hear more feedback. I was getting a little frustrated and I think I started applying a bit of pressure. Pretty sure this is why I ended up with some razor burn. Not sure I like the Polsilver in this razor. Tomorrow is a new day and a new shave and I think I'll swap out for a Feather or Med Prep. I'm leaning toward the feather because they normally tear my face up, but this razor feels so mild it might be just what I need.

Thanks, I REALLY want to love this razor, I just feel like I haven't found the right blade and or angle for it just yet. I've posted questions about it before and got the usual responses of "I get BBS ALLLLL THE TIIIIME with this razor." Unfortunately that doesn't help me much in my endeavors so I figure the best way to figure it out is just to stick with it.

Stay tuned for shave 3 tomorrow. :thumbup1:

Day 3 (shaved late due to new Star Wars MMO early release today!)

Prep - hot water and face wash. Forgot the pre-shave oil.
SC - TOBS Avocado
Brush - Merkur Barber Pole
Razor - 12c
Blade - Feather Hi-Stainless

Result:
Instantly more feedback than the Polsilver. I could actually feel this blade, although not nearly as roughly as in my 37c/38c/r41. Very comfy. No real rough spots to mention, unlike with the Polsilver. Hardly any irritation, just a bit toward the end. A few very small weepers. Feeling pretty good about angle today. Little bit of alcohol sting on the AS splash, but tolerable. (is it weird when I'm disappointed when it doesn't burn at all?)

Conclusion: I think I've just about got a handle on the angle with this razor. The negative pressure I use with the r41 is a no-go for this one, some VERY slight pressure seems almost necessary, especially where my beard seems to grow flat to my skin surface. The sharper blade made a HUGE difference. Having hardly any blade gap on this razor, I think a super sharp blade is crucial to its success. Gonna try it again tomorrow(today? lol 3:30AM) to see if I get a similar result and then move on to a med prep on Friday.

Day 4 (finally got around to shaving, stupid Star Wars)

Prep - hot shower, face wash, musgo real pre-shave oil
SC - Musgo Real (it's a musgo kinda day)
Brush - Semogue 2011 LE Finest #1
Razor - 12c
Blade - Personna Med Prep

Result:
I had quite a bit more beard today so there was definitely some good feed back, tactile and audible. Super comfy with the Med Prep. No weepers, very smooth, just a few strays under the chin. I decided to puff out my cheeks today to see if that would let me get under those irksome hairs that I couldn't seem to get before, it did. Felt REALLY good about angle today for everywhere except under the chin. No razor burn, no sting from the aftershave (musgo real splash!).

Conclusion: I remembered having a good shave with this razor before with a med prep but wasn't sure if it was the blade or I just had a good day. Now, I'm sure this blade is perfect for the 12c. I'm starting to think this razor might not be in my regular rotation, but a good "shave in a hurry" razor because it's nearly impossible to hurt myself with this thing. I also have a theory about the angle for under my chin, gonna test it out later. I don't know if I *love* this razor yet, but I'm starting to appreciate it more. I'm not giving up until I get BBS with this thing!

PS: I've decided I'm not really a fan of the TOBS avocado. =P Doesn't seem to have as much slickness as I like, or maybe it's the cushion; I have no idea. The Musgo Real performed SO much better today.

Ok I have to come clean. I totally gave up on this razor and gave it to my dad when he was over for Christmas. Hopefully he can make better use of it than I did :D

Top Bottom