What's new

Learning the Ropes

Hey, I have been poking around here a little this afternoon and decided to post. I am pretty new to Cigars. Really, I have no idea what ones I like. I have been randomly buying a few at a liquor store that has a walk-in humidor. But, I am ready to get serious.

I am looking to get an inexpensive humidor, for one thing. Nothing big or fancy. Richgem suggested a Cigar Jar. Looks like a good idea although I do like the look of a wooden one. Haven't decided yet.

I have a nice Zippo I have used for a few years for cigarettes but am not sure if I need to invest in something better adapted to cigars. Only reason I question this is I just smoked one outside (Which will be my norm.) and had a little trouble with the wind. But, I do love my Zippo. In case anyone cares, the picture below looks like my zippo.

proxy.php

I also need to start keeping track of what I am smoking and what I do and don't like about them.

Slightly off track, I have decided I want a cigarette case also. I will probably be scanning the local antique stores for one this summer.

Anyhow, that is where I stand. I welcome any advice. And yes, I have been reading the stickied tutorials. I have already learned some things I was doing wrong. So, looking forward to learning more and may use this thread to update as I go.

On the lighter topic: I've got a PB-207 torch and a regular Zippo. I use them both fairly equally. Best advice on the Zippo is to let it burn for a few seconds to get the majority of the naptha aroma out.

+1 on the Cigar Jar or a Tupperdor

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you want to pick up a torch, you can get a Ronson Jetlite at Walmart for ~$3 or better yet pick up 4-5 of them, mine always grow legs and walk off. also check out the Gentlemen's Essential articles on cigars, the author is a blowhard, but maybe it can help you get started.

Gentlemen's Essentials - Cigars

Cool links - thanks! Cigar & Pipe smoking has been something that interested me for a while but I have had a hard time finding good information from first hand experiences in order to improve my experience.

Hopefully that gentleman's essentials site can help me see what too look for as far as cigars go.

I am glad I found this forum :thumbup:

Cool links - thanks! Cigar & Pipe smoking has been something that interested me for a while but I have had a hard time finding good information from first hand experiences in order to improve my experience.

Hopefully that gentleman's essentials site can help me see what too look for as far as cigars go.

I am glad I found this forum :thumbup:

Yes, B&B is good for introducing, aiding, and encouraging all sorts of new vices. :thumbup:

New thought. Is there any reason I can't find a neat wooden box of some sort and add the cedar planks and humidifier? I realize it needs to seal to a degree.

You might want to add a pipe or two to the rotation, I am finding that along with cigars is a really great way to enjoy fine tobacco.

Vices are my thing :thumbup:

Yes, B&B is good for introducing, aiding, and encouraging all sorts of new Hobbies, Experiences, Gentlemanly Pursuits. :thumbup:

New thought. Is there any reason I can't find a neat wooden box of some sort and add the cedar planks and humidifier? I realize it needs to seal to a degree.
FIFY:001_tt2:

If your confident in your woodworking skills you sure can. But the seal needs to be pretty good. If not, you not only run your humidifier dry more often but you can end up with uneven humidification. Also if you're repurposing an box you need to be sure it does not have any odd odors or a finish that could taint your cigars.

You might want to add a pipe or two to the rotation, I am finding that along with cigars is a really great way to enjoy fine tobacco.

Vices are my thing :thumbup:

Oh, yes! I forgot to mention I had planned on that also. I know nothing about pipes either but I look forward to trying.

FIFY:001_tt2:

If your confident in your woodworking skills you sure can. But the seal needs to be pretty good. If not, you not only run your humidifier dry more often but you can end up with uneven humidification. Also if you're repurposing an box you need to be sure it does not have any odd odors or a finish that could taint your cigars.

Ah, that is a good point.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
As a start, while you are deciding if you like cigars, get a Tupperware container as a humidor. It will be more airtight than almost any humidor you can get at any price. Then stop by your friendly neighborhood cigar store and get a $10 crystal bead stick humidifier, about the same size as a corona cigar. Start out in the mild to medium range of cigars. Your friendly proprietor should be able to help you there, but here are a few suggestions to start.

Mild:
Macanudo-very mild, often considered a 'starter' cigar. Not my personal favorite, but a good cigar.
Don Diego- also mild, but, IMO, a much better cigar. My favorite mild smoke; I'm usually a Full/strong smoker, but this is an excellent smoke.

Medium:
Romeo and Julieta tubo- excellent, solid medium smoke.
R&J Reserva Real-a bit better than the tubo, one of my medium go tos
Fuente Heminway- any one in the line, but the Short Story is a good start. Very good, one of my favorites
Ashton-more expensive, but good. Not one of my regular picks, but excellent.

After you've had a few dozen good smokes under your belt, and decide that you want to keep on smoking, the advice given above is excellent.

See user The Count of Merkur Cristo post on humidors and conditioning and purchasing. One of the better tutorials I've read on the subject. You can also check my comments on the same subject.

As a start, while you are deciding if you like cigars, get a Tupperware container as a humidor. It will be more airtight than almost any humidor you can get at any price. Then stop by your friendly neighborhood cigar store and get a $10 crystal bead stick humidifier, about the same size as a corona cigar.

+1 Best advice you can get while starting out. When I started smoking I went out and bought a cheaper humidor and to this day I have never been able to get it to keep its humidity, which is why I use a large tupperware container from the container store. If you must have a humidor save and get a nice one once you know cigars are for you. For humidification I prefer heartfelt beads which are just a brand of crystal bead humidifier. I use a digital hygrometer as I have found analog ones aren't very accurate, since switching to beads and tupperware I find it pointless as my humidity is always spot on.

As for cigars to try I would try a sampler online (cigarsinternational.com) has some of the best prices anywhere. There are also several deal of the day type sites such as cigarmonster.com and joecigar.com which have pretty good deals.

For mild I like the Oliva Connecticut reserve
For medium/full flavor cigars I like - Anything by don pepin & Alec Bradley Select cabinet reserve
For budget you can't beat pirates gold by rolando st reyes.

captp

Just in case you don't think this can be addictive (in the AD, not nicotine sense) allow met to relate a sad story to you. I started out, maybe 13 years ago, getting a couple of this cigar and a couple of that. Got a little, plastic travel humidor to keep them in. Rented a locker in my local smoke shop. Rented a 2nd locker in my local smoke shop. Bought a cheap, but good humidor online. Bought a nicer, larger humidor at my local. Bought another, nicer, larger humidor at my local. Moved up to full boxes of cigars. Bought a nice lighter at my local (repeat above for lighters). Bought a cool ashtray (repeat above). Repeat on humidors about 15 times (not AD, needed more space for all the cigars I bought). A year and a half ago I said, "ENOUGH, STOP IT ALREADY, THIS IS GETTING SILLY" so I bought a 10 cubic foot end table humidor and moved all my cigars into it. Now thinking about another of the same humidor.

Today, with 80+ Zippos, 30+ butane lighters, 20 or so cutters, ashtrays out the wazoo, a small cigar store indian, a marble slab weighing 30+ lbs from an old tobacco shop with Cigars inscribed on the front and enough cigars to last an army of smokers several lifetimes. I still deny I have any kind of AD, continue to buy neato lighters and ashtrays and smoke a couple of cigars a day. I couldn't be happier. Unless I get that 2nd humidor. And fill it up.

Not that this could ever happen to you. Just saying.:tongue_sm

captp

+1 I use a digital hygrometer as I have found analog ones aren't very accurate, since switching to beads and tupperware I find it pointless as my humidity is always spot on.

As for cigars to try I would try a sampler online (cigarsinternational.com) has some of the best prices anywhere. There are also several deal of the day type sites such as cigarmonster.com and joecigar.com which have pretty good deals.

For mild I like the Oliva Connecticut reserve
For medium/full flavor cigars I like - Anything by don pepin & Alec Bradley Select cabinet reserve
For budget you can't beat pirates gold by rolando st reyes.

You've never tried the Cigar Perfect analog hygrometer. It is dead on accurate, assuming of course that the digital hygro on my Cigar Oasis XL+ humidifier is accurate. They sit less than 6" apart and agree perfectly.

Agree on the online sites for good prices, but I always buy at my local; they give me pretty close to and sometimes better deals than I can get online, but that's due to my "special" relationship with them (I'm their best customer, and I 'semi-work' there)

Oliva is spot on, but I liked the Bradley when my shop carried them.

As a start, while you are deciding if you like cigars....

As much as I love to jump in with both feet into everything I do, it seems, this seems to be good advice I believe I will listen too. Thanks!

+1 Best advice you can get while starting out....

Thank you too. I really do appreciate the confirmation and cigar recommendations.

Just in case you don't think this can be addictive...

And this is what I'm afraid of. :lol:

So, starting with Tupperware it seems. :thumbup1:

Hey Blake,

Aside from which cigar and what "gear", I wanted to suggest you take a read through this thread and give some thought to what to drink along with your cigar. You've probably already figured out that cigars dry out your mouth, so you'll need to drink something to keep from drying up. But your drink can also add considerably to your enjoyment of your cigar. You need to find the drink or drinks that work best for you.

Popular choices include, among others, scotch, port wine and coffee. I love latte's anyway, and especially love them with cigars. Late in the evening I enjoy a glass of port to sip with a cigar. I don't really care for scotch or cognac (another popular choice), but that's just me. Strangely, during the day, I like a bottle of sweetened ice tea with a cigar. It's the only time I drink that. I do not like beer with cigars, but some do. The main point is, you need to find what you enjoy most to compliment the cigar. YMMV. :thumbup1:

The best cheap option would be the tupperware route outfitted with a thick cedar plank on the bottom, and you could probably line the container also, with some planks. I don't know what the best glue to use would be, but my guess would be hot-glue, since it's not really a glue but just melted plastic. To make it look nice, hide it from view :thumbup:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have a nice Zippo I have used for a few years for cigarettes but am not sure if I need to invest in something better adapted to cigars. Only reason I question this is I just smoked one outside (Which will be my norm.) and had a little trouble with the wind. But, I do love my Zippo. In case anyone cares, the picture below looks like my zippo.

proxy.php
Blake:
I light cigars with my FlipTop (Zippo copy), Lighter with the Z-Plus Butane Torch Flame Insert (I got both off of Ebay), which is engraved on the back;

"To Smoke is Human...To Smoke Cigars is Divine". Unknown

NOTE: I never (and you don't want to either), use the petrol insert in my lighter because I don't want the petrol to impart odours and unpleasant gases (i.e., a chemical taste which could absorb into the cigar), to the cigar and mar the pleasure of my cigar-smoking experience...which was why I got the Z-Plus insert (butane Refillable, no odor and no mess...no problem).

Christopher
proxy.php
"A cigar is as good as [the] memories that you have when you smoked it". Raul Julia

Attached Images - My FlipTop (Zippo copy), Lighter and Z-Plus Butane Torch Flame Insert.

Attachments

• $lighter.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 95
  • $zippo.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 96

captp

Blake:
I light cigars with my FlipTop (Zippo copy), Lighter with the Z-Plus Butane Torch Flame Insert (I got both off of Ebay), which is engraved on the back;

NOTE: I never (and you don't want to either), use the petrol insert in my lighter because I don't want the petrol to impart odours and unpleasant gases (i.e., a chemical taste which could absorb into the cigar), to the cigar and mar the pleasure of my cigar-smoking experience...which was why I got the Z-Plus insert (butane Refillable, no odor and no mess...no problem).

Attached Images - My FlipTop (Zippo copy), Lighter and Z-Plus Butane Torch Flame Insert.

ABOMINATION:tongue_sm If the powers that be wanted Zippos to be flamed by butane, they would have invented them that way back in the '30s

But they do work, and after giving the above warning to prospective buyers of the Zippo Blue or the inserts, I will go on to tell them that the Blue and inserts are very good lighters and proceed to sell them one if they insist:001_smile

Blake:

"To Smoke is Human...To Smoke Cigars is Divine". Unknown

Christopher
proxy.php
"A cigar is as good as [the] memories that you have when you smoked it". Raul Julia

I had no idea there was such a thing. :huh:

Top Bottom