What's new

Learning the piano- am I crazy?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Casio calls it Scaled Hammer-Action. It was my understanding that while that is good, the graded weight is closer, hence the better feel (and higher cost).
That being said, I think my Allegro's action is probably closer to the Casio than the Yamaha. I used the justification that if I liked it I could get the more expensive one later. Early on, the switch probably won't be too noticeable.

My wife's boss thought my wife who doesn't read music or play an instrument, and even though there was someone qualified on staff, was a good candidate to teach instrumental music to the grade seven and eights at her school so that's what she's doing this year.

Meanwhile her useless boss is off on indefinite leave because she can't handle the job. My wife and her students seem to be having a blast learning together helping each other out, she may be exhausted but she always gets the last laugh.

dave

Agreed Owen fantastic news!

I'm debating between two pianos now myself.

A Casio CDP230 with bench and stand for $200.

Or

A Yamaha P115 with no bench and stand for $420.

I really prefer the action and sound of the Yamaha hands down over the Casio, but I can't decide if it's worth the double price for a new player that may find that I don't enjoy it as much as I think I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the Yam at that price sold, but I know of another that's brand new at $470 that is negotiable. Also found a Yamaha DGX650 for $350, no stand, pedal, or bench. I haven't really been looking at something with that many voices, though I could see where it would be fun. It does look to be comparable to the P115 for most aspects aside from polyphony.

That being said, I think my Allegro's action is probably closer to the Casio than the Yamaha. I used the justification that if I liked it I could get the more expensive one later. Early on, the switch probably won't be too noticeable.

I was looking at Williams piano's as well! I found that I really could tell a significant difference in the action and to me it was much preferred on the Yam. (Please don't take that as anything negative)

Well the Yam at that price sold, but I know of another that's brand new at $470 that is negotiable. Also found a Yamaha DGX650 for $350, no stand, pedal, or bench. I haven't really been looking at something with that many voices, though I could see where it would be fun. It does look to be comparable to the P115 for most aspects aside from polyphony.

Well, DGX-650 sold too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
@oc_in_fw found a sweet little site for practicing note recognition and a bit of music theory. Will also allow for note to keyboard recognition.

musictheory.net - Exercises
Very cool- thanks a lot. I need to crack down, because I need to justify to my wife why I want to a Córdoba classical guitar next year. I remember a lot of chords, but I need to strengthen music reading and finger picking.

Top Bottom