What's new

Learning new stuff.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've been shooting rifles now since Ike was President but it was mostly plinking or carry when hiking or the very occasional target shooting. Iron sights were the norm and I did have a couple scopes on some 22s but it's been a half century since I bought a rifle scope. The different guns ran from some 8mm Mausers and 30-30 levers to an SKS as well as several 22LR.

proxy.php

proxy.php

As I think I mentioned around here I did buy a new scope to try out on the 10/22 to see if I could turn it into something useful and enjoyable.; and boy is it an eye opener.

proxy.php

I've never found that there was much difference between personal firearms made recently and those made even a century or more ago. There are a few new materials that are different but necessarily any better than what has been available for near forever. In fact so many "new improved" things on modern guns seem to be simply a short attention span and ignorance of what came before. Lots of folk tout striker fired as something new even though it was very popular well over 100 years ago.

There have been some real advances in the overall safety but even there it's more the general ubiquitous presence across many or most makes rather than anything new.

But the new scope was really surprising. The ease of use, flexibility but most of all forgiving nature is truly amazing. Granted I am comparing it to some basic pretty cheap scopes I got over a half century ago but they also worked well for for over a half century. The difference is so great I simply can't imagine going back. Instead of the human modifying his behavior depending on distance or light the new scopes seem to have provided easy adjustment capabilities to make the scope meet the uses needs at the time rather than the shooter changing to meet the limits of the tool.

When it comes to revolvers, semi-automatic pistols, rifles themselves I cannot see any major significant differences between those I've owned and been shooting for a half century or more and new ones made recently or in the last decade or three.

Firearms new, firearms old, all jess fine with me.

But scopes I definitely need to put the past away and leap into the current state of the art.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Agree of course - but many of my favorites cannot have improved optics (classic revolvers, P08, etc.) and I have found my "computer glasses" give a very much improved sight picture with iron sights. Might could try.

AA

No doubt scopes have gotten better over the past few years. However, some of the oldies are still pretty darn good. I have a 70 year old Unertl that is as clear as most anything you can buy today. I also have 40+ year old Redfield 3200 24x and a 30+ year old Bausch and Lomb Elite 4200 36x that are very clear. All 3 of those are used on .22 benchrest rifles.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The variety of new reticle types is what is the most amazing to me. I doubt I will ever buy a plain duplex reticle again, though I have a few and they work just fine.

I think the cost of real quality optics has come down. Older scopes, unless they were really high quality are no comparison with newer. I agree.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Newer optics are definitely amazing and as I slide down rabbit hole some of the options available are astonding. Brands that make me tingle and shudder all at the same time! Nightforce, S&B, Tangent Theta, ZCO are all astounding. Reticle options are mind boggling as are the adjustment ranges. March offers a scope with 400!!! MOA of vertical (and only $6000.00. I'll take two!) Having said that I had a Tasco 36x World Class Plus that kicked much butt and I wish it was still in my possession! Next piece of glass will probably a Nightforce ATAC-R F1 7x35 or a S&B PMII 5x45 but I'm gonna need more rifle first! Note: UBER magnification is not where it's at (it is nice though. Looking at a 6 point at 200 yards at 30x is well, almost not fair)... Uber clarity and repeatable dials are but that is just MHO.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
"UBER" magnification is useful for reading mirage for long distance target work. A bit overkill on a hunting rig. A buddy of mine insists on hunting with high power optics on his rifles, wants to be able to make those 500 yd. shots that he's never taken. To each his own I suppose. I've not done that much hunting, but if I'm stalking in hilly country, I want a sleeker package as opposed to a sniper rig for taking game, not that there is anything wrong with that if that's your thing. I did successfully take a 215 yd. standing offhand shot with a budget 3-9x40 on a small buck one the last day and last hour of legal hunting.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
"UBER" magnification is useful for reading mirage for long distance target work. A bit overkill on a hunting rig. A buddy of mine insists on hunting with high power optics on his rifles, wants to be able to make those 500 yd. shots that he's never taken. To each his own I suppose. I've not done that much hunting, but if I'm stalking in hilly country, I want a sleeker package as opposed to a sniper rig for taking game, not that there is anything wrong with that if that's your thing. I did successfully take a 215 yd. standing offhand shot with a budget 3-9x40 on a small buck one the last day and last hour of legal hunting.

I'm ok with higher magnification glass in a tree stand. But it should be the only tree for miles. ;)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I use UBER magnification at 50 yards. I use 36x. Many of the guys I compete against use 40x, 45x or 46x.
.22LR benchrest? I shot some 50 and 100 yd matches with 18x on my 10/22 target gun. If I were to shoot those with any regularity, I'd up the magnification quite a bit.

Newer optics are definitely amazing and as I slide down rabbit hole some of the options available are astonding. Brands that make me tingle and shudder all at the same time! Nightforce, S&B, Tangent Theta, ZCO are all astounding. Reticle options are mind boggling as are the adjustment ranges. March offers a scope with 400!!! MOA of vertical (and only $6000.00. I'll take two!) Having said that I had a Tasco 36x World Class Plus that kicked much butt and I wish it was still in my possession! Next piece of glass will probably a Nightforce ATAC-R F1 7x35 or a S&B PMII 5x45 but I'm gonna need more rifle first! Note: UBER magnification is not where it's at (it is nice though. Looking at a 6 point at 200 yards at 30x is well, almost not fair)... Uber clarity and repeatable dials are but that is just MHO.
Agree with that about newer optics. I have/had an old Redfield 4-12 with adjustable objective and it had got to the point with my old eyes, I just could not focus either the image or the crosshairs. This scope was purchased back in 1970, so I replaced it with a Leupold, 6x18 I think, it's out in the safe now. One of the VX3, again I think, models with a dial adjustable focus and the difference in 50 years of optics technology is simply amazing. Everything is crisp, clear, and bright.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It's funny how often I look at stuff I've been looking at for ages and suddenly gain a new perspective.

A recent such case happened when I went to get one of my 22s out of the display cabinet to take to the range. There was nothing new there but my understanding of the difference in general length of 22lr rifles over time immediately changed.

proxy.php

The cabinet was designed quite awhile ago but notice where the upper support is placed. The wood rifles are all older more experienced ones made at least a half century ago. The second rifle from the right was a carbine sized one from the early 1960s while the other wood stocks are what was considered normal field length. Note how they all fit against the standard of the display cabinet. The scary black rifle on the far right is my Rossi RB22 and it fits comfortably under the upper support and the third from the right is my 10/22 Takedown that just barely peeks over the support rail.

Before I sold them my Mauser's and 30-30 carbines reached even higher and an old Browning Sweet Sixteen was even longer than the rifles.

I've always been aware of the length differences and even remarked on it when I bought the newest arrivals but it was only when looking at the rifles in the display cabinet that it really struck me just how far out of what was the norm we have come. They just don't look like they should be in that cabinet and that it was made for grown up rifles not children.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I agree whole heatedly but if you said "I got this here 40x scope and you can see a flea on a dogs butt at 200 yards! But, it's a little dark and isn't really clear edge to edge and the reticle is kind of clunky"and then showed me a 20x that was bright, sharp, had no aberration, and had a hair thin reticle guess which I would choose? Happily, modern optics dictate that I don't have I don't have to give up one for the other as long as my wallet can stand it! :lol1: This one really peaks my interest and harkens back to the old days! In a good way!!!
genesis1803.jpg

It's funny how often I look at stuff I've been looking at for ages and suddenly gain a new perspective.

A recent such case happened when I went to get one of my 22s out of the display cabinet to take to the range. There was nothing new there but my understanding of the difference in general length of 22lr rifles over time immediately changed.

proxy.php

The cabinet was designed quite awhile ago but notice where the upper support is placed. The wood rifles are all older more experienced ones made at least a half century ago. The second rifle from the right was a carbine sized one from the early 1960s while the other wood stocks are what was considered normal field length. Note how they all fit against the standard of the display cabinet. The scary black rifle on the far right is my Rossi RB22 and it fits comfortably under the upper support and the third from the right is my 10/22 Takedown that just barely peeks over the support rail.

Before I sold them my Mauser's and 30-30 carbines reached even higher and an old Browning Sweet Sixteen was even longer than the rifles.

I've always been aware of the length differences and even remarked on it when I bought the newest arrivals but it was only when looking at the rifles in the display cabinet that it really struck me just how far out of what was the norm we have come. They just don't look like they should be in that cabinet and that it was made for grown up rifles not children.
I've had similar observations looking inside my safe. I noted that after moving out my 7mm RM, all the remaining rifles in my safe had barrel lengths of 16-21", these range from .22lr to 9mm Luger, to .223, .308 Win, and 375 Ruger. Conversely, the only shotgun I currently own is an old break action side by side that with its long barrel(s) has to be taken down in order to fit in the safe beneath the two upper shelves where the pistols are stored.

I've come to prefer the handiness of the shorter barrels for carrying around in the woods vs. the minimal extra velocity of a longer, more cumbersome barrel. Having cartridges that don't really need the longer barrels to achieve most of their velocity potential helps there though, I don't imagine I'd own a rifle chambered in any belted magnum cartridge with less than a 24" barrel, and more likely a 26".

Did you ever shoot a candy match? The club I shot at would finish up with a candy match where lifesavers were taped to the target. You had to shoot through the hole in a lifesaver without breaking the lifesaver candy. The target with the most intact lifesavers, with hole shot through won.
Dang, that sounds tough, not much room for error with a .22lr bullet passing through the center of a Lifesaver.....perhaps this is the real reason for the creation of the .17 HMR? 😁

Top Bottom