What's new

Learning Method Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe,

Glad to see things are working out and you are aware of why this methodololgy works and that the products are high quality and high value. As for the the mess, well there are people that use a bowl just not myself. I also think when it comes to learning that is yet another variable that does not need to enter into the equation.

Your question on forms is a good one and leads me to the next major point. Method Shaving is really designed for beginners or people who are just not getting it right. It puts on the emphasis on the right places and removes as many variables as possible. You on the other hand are a very experienced shaver, and to go back and work through the forms is ridiculous for you. Different story when you have no clue and you face is bloody, irritated and just plain hurts. That is when you put the emphasis on learning to cut and not on grain, etc.

As for the barber stuff, it is not to be tossed aside but there is a huge difference and you mentioned it. Barbers were being to taught to shave others, and to do so in a manner that would allow them the maximum amount of patrons to to be shaved in a day. We are teaching people to shave themselves in a manner that will eliminate irritation, ingrowns, blood, etc.

I have had a number of barber shaves, some good, many bad and two great ones. The one thing that is consistent is how much beard they shave in any one pass, and the associated irritation with almost all of my shave, save one or two.

So in conclusion, spread the word.... We are not a bunch of wild eyes lunatics hocking assinine products and teaching people to do only what we say.

Thanks for the response.

The only thing that caught my eye was your comment about barber shaves. My understanding is that they were taught to give a comfortable shave despite the one pass tendency. I have had quite a few in my time and I can think of only one where ther was any irritation. That barber was pretty young. The old timers are real pros.

I notice you mentioned you use the Merkur slant. What blades do you use? That razor became one of my favorites and the absolutely best shaver, after I started using Feather platinum blades. They totally transform that razor. It goes from being harsh to incredibly smooth, and the sharpness is unbelieveable. I like to use it for clean up and sometimes my last pass, even when I use a str8. Of course I can't imagine you recommending it to your students because that combination can do al ot of damage in unskilled hands.

methodshaving.com said:
Joe,

Glad to see things are working out and you are aware of why this methodololgy works and that the products are high quality and high value. As for the the mess, well there are people that use a bowl just not myself. I also think when it comes to learning that is yet another variable that does not need to enter into the equation.

Your question on forms is a good one and leads me to the next major point. Method Shaving is really designed for beginners or people who are just not getting it right. It puts on the emphasis on the right places and removes as many variables as possible. You on the other hand are a very experienced shaver, and to go back and work through the forms is ridiculous for you. Different story when you have no clue and you face is bloody, irritated and just plain hurts. That is when you put the emphasis on learning to cut and not on grain, etc.

As for the barber stuff, it is not to be tossed aside but there is a huge difference and you mentioned it. Barbers were being to taught to shave others, and to do so in a manner that would allow them the maximum amount of patrons to to be shaved in a day. We are teaching people to shave themselves in a manner that will eliminate irritation, ingrowns, blood, etc.

I have had a number of barber shaves, some good, many bad and two great ones. The one thing that is consistent is how much beard they shave in any one pass, and the associated irritation with almost all of my shave, save one or two.

So in conclusion, spread the word.... We are not a bunch of wild eyes lunatics hocking assinine products and teaching people to do only what we say.

Joe Lerch said:
Adam and Brett:

After doing the method shaving stuff for almost a week now, I'd like to offer some observations.

I like the cube, but using it is a royal mess. It requires more work than cream, but I have no problem loading up the brush (an SMF brush, eventually I'll also try my BK8) and keeping it charged and refreshed. But it drips all over the place and adds to the mess. I've never had such a mess and never taken so long to clean up. There has to be a way to do this with a bowl. Mixing in a little of my regular creams thickened up the mix a bit.

The hydrolast paste is very slick when you apply it directly to the face (what I was doing), but it doesn't have a noticeable effect when you mix it with the cube.

I have been cutting three of my own forms for many years. They're not so different from the RMWS forms. Mine are down, across and up. What difference would it make if I angled the across down and the up forward? What is so special about the RMWS forms that I should change? Why would they make a difference? If there is a theory behind those forms, please tell us about it.

I have also been using a reduction approach for a long time. By the time I get to the third pass, I'm down to the skin and working with a fine stubble. That's when I have to start worrying about irritation. I have extremely sensitive skin. I have always avoided shaving oil because I believe that it makes the whiskers slippery and difficult to cut. What I learned from the RMWS is that when I get to the third pass that's no longer true. Your discussion about low velocity for the last pass led me to apply shaving oil at that point. The result was incredible. I have never shaved so close so easily and totally free of irritation. If I learned nothing more from method shaving, this would make my little venture worthwhile. I get around in the forums and I intend to spread the word.

The aftershave balm was also a great addition that I intend to keep. I have never found one that had such a profound effect on my skin.

Joe,

I have found many of the same results as you have.

The Cube is a big mess, and clean up is a PITA - but man the results are simply outstanding. I did try mixing the whole mess in a bowl, but for some reason I get better results when mixing directly on my face - I have some sort of block against mixing it in my hand, so I have not tried this.

I also use the same "forms" as you do, and tried the RMWS forms, but got better results using my original progression of reduction - so this is what I use. I think the RMWS provide a guidance or framework for someone starting to shave. I have found that since I have started shaving with a DE I know my face - my forms are set up around this knowledge.

I use my Feather str8 for the reduction and either my Merkur HD, Progress or Slant w/Feather blades for the balance of the clean up. So far the Feather str8/Progress combo seems to work best for me.

The Cutting Balm is outstanding, and sets up an excellent basis for the final S/N pass and the T&C.

Also agree with you on the A/S balm. My shaves have never been closer, nor has my skin looked better.

One question - does one apply the Hydrolast Paste prior to each reduction pass when cutting form 1? - I just apply the first time and don't use it again.

I've also tried experimenting with splitting up the "front-end" products i.e the Cube, Hydrolast Paste from the "back end" products i.e Cutting Balm, A/S Cream and Hydrosol.

I subbed some English cream for the "front end" and kept the "back end" and vice versa - subbed the "back end" for some PSO & Coral Skin Food - got a very good shave in both instances - but not nearly as good as when using the complete system.

Joe,
Good question about the theory behind the forms. I always thought the forms need to be examined on a deeper level. I plan to write an article about this sometime in the next few months. It will include information from my own notes as well as from conversations with Charles and some of the other experienced Method Shavers out there.

Blue,
When you say you only apply HydroLast once I assume that means you lay the mix on your terrain, cut Form 1, and then cut everything else with naked strokes (no additional mix)? You can do that, it just greatly reduces your margin for error and makes velocity management difficult to impossible. Some MS guys say no naked strokes of any kind until the finish/blade buff/touch&cut stage. I will use them sparingly when cutting Form 3. At any rate, it is definitely good practice to reapply mix before each pass. Especially early in the shave.

All,
Using the right brush goes a long way towards reducing the mess. My SMF brush with the Cube/HydroLast combo is much messier than with either the ShaveMaster or my Simpsons. For reasons mentioned in another post (In the Beginning...) the SMF brush (and those of similar construction) throw mix when used in MS fasion. Experience also helps. I used to lose a lot of mix no matter what brush I used. Now I consider it a matter of pride. One of the ways I rate a shave is how well I controlled my mix.

... it is definitely good practice to reapply mix before each pass. Especially early in the shave.

Thanks Brett - I'll try that - I see the rationale, although I can't imagine the shaves getting any better :smile:

SMF brush just did not cut it for me. I know Bernd is a wonderful fellow but I like my lightballs to light a room, not a brush. Barbers do not know wet but they could learn a thing or two from Enchante's A/S cream.

Max

Don't be such a wiseass! You'd do well to learn something from guys like Bernd. As for barbers, centuries of their accomplishments have been borrowed my method shaving. CR deserves a lot of credit for what he's, but it certainly doesn't warrant your arrogance.

madmax said:
SMF brush just did not cut it for me. I know Bernd is a wonderful fellow but I like my lightballs to light a room, not a brush. Barbers do not know wet but they could learn a thing or two from Enchante's A/S cream.

Max

Joe,

I don't think Max was bing a wiseass, just stating his opinion, and doing so with a bit of levity. Personally, I love the SMF brush, but I find it very different from my Saville Row 241, which I also love. I enjoy shaving with both, but they are very different. If Max does not like it, no harm, no foul.

Randy

I didn't say anything about the brush. I wouldn't criticize his opinin about the brush.

rtaylor61 said:
Joe,

I don't think Max was bing a wiseass, just stating his opinion, and doing so with a bit of levity. Personally, I love the SMF brush, but I find it very different from my Saville Row 241, which I also love. I enjoy shaving with both, but they are very different. If Max does not like it, no harm, no foul.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom