What's new

Learning, having fun, coming full circle

Well gents, I will admit, I have had fun throughout these last three to four years of using safety razors. From my venerable Parker 99r to now my Schick Injector type I, I have been on an incredible journey. However, there comes a time when a man needs to prioritize what is important. Right now, I can say that, classic as these instruments are, they just seem not for me.

I do not say these things lightly. I managed to knock off my bucket list, classic shaving, to my enjoyment. Talking with the friendly folks on this website, and watching the enthusiasm that some of the wet-shaving community has for this hobby, is fun (I am even subscribed to Ken Surfs). I just have to say that I got into this purely to save money on the blades, not for some hobby, as blasphemous as that sounds. I get too many nicks and cuts trying to use these razors to get my hair cut close to the skin, and I just cannot devote the time to taking the care to having to play a dexterity balancing act to getting the results I want and need.

It is with a heavy burden that I must announce that I will be retiring my injector to a ceremonial role soon and exploring either a new cartridge system or even more blasphemous, electric shavers. I appreciate the skills and advice I have learned over the past few years. Thank you.

Whatever works for you is just fine!

Techniques you mastered with ‘traditional’ shaving will help with whatever tools you chose.

Just a thought, have you inspected your injector to make sure there are no defects with it? In my experience, the older Schicks are more aggressive, and the newer ones milder, and using a newer model, it seems pretty hard to nick myself.
Blades can make a difference also, Personna is the worst for me, Chinese Schicks are better but the Schick Proline are too for me.

At least you gave it a try. Now you can make an informed decision on the best method for you.

thanks for giving us a try!
best wishes going forward!
and, of course, you'd be welcome back anytime!!

kiss.jpg

You don't have to go anywhere, we've got a strong following for carts and Electrics in the "modern shaving systems" section. Great group with experience and collections of devices just like the "traditional" shavers. Anything you mentioned still gives you the ability to use brush and cream/soap. There are vintage, rare, high end, and imported cartridge razors to try... It's not over for you my friend, your attention while just change course.

Traditional shaving is not for everyone, in fact I have noticed as I go about my day that many gents have given up shaving altogether. In any event, good luck in all your endeavors.

Update: So it seems maybe I might reconsider my original thought. I tried a differing method of blade direction and I get pretty darn close to BBS and I'm not leaking like a blood pack. So I'm going to give this decision process another week.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Update: So it seems maybe I might reconsider my original thought. I tried a differing method of blade direction and I get pretty darn close to BBS and I'm not leaking like a blood pack. So I'm going to give this decision process another week.
You might also want to try using a very steep shaving angle. Check in with the Steep Angle Shavers Alliance, I just started shaving ATG with an unbelievably steep angel and get a BBS with almost ZERO irritation.

I’ve always been a cart fan so my transition to DE was based solely on getting a (slightly) closer shave, enjoying the process and saving some $. What i’ve realized is that when “traditional” shaving goes well it’s near perfect. When it goes poorly, well, it tends to go VERY poorly. It sounds as if you’ve given it more than the ol’ college try and i don’t think you should lament returning to carts at all. There are so many out there now it may be just as fun to try different ones in a quest to find the best cart you can. I say embrace it, sample all the modern offerings and enjoy!

I’ve always been a cart fan so my transition to DE was based solely on getting a (slightly) closer shave, enjoying the process and saving some $. What i’ve realized is that when “traditional” shaving goes well it’s near perfect. When it goes poorly, well, it tends to go VERY poorly. It sounds as if you’ve given it more than the ol’ college try and i don’t think you should lament returning to carts at all. There are so many out there now it may be just as fun to try different ones in a quest to find the best cart you can. I say embrace it, sample all the modern offerings and enjoy!
I'm still giving this whole process some thought. I made the OP in a bit of an angry haste and have since really sat down and looked at what was wrong. I don't lament going back to carts. In a way, I already have gone back to carts, just with injectors as opposed to straight carts.

I found that I always got nicked when I shaved upwards on my neck and always in the same place, which was right in front of neck where it either is stupid tough for just about any blade to cut at that angle (90 degrees upward) or I am just not able to see effectively enough to tilt the razor just enough to not cut myself. I initially thought that using a Parker 99r was the problem because it is said to be aggressive. I do attribute some of the problems I had with the 99r to that razor itself as well as shaving upward. I had nicks in places where I used that razor that I eliminated by switching to my injector.

I think its a bit of tough hair and bad angle, as its always straight in front of my face on my neck and chin, where I have those problems. If I shave upwards at a 45 degree angle in these areas, I don't get those problems. I always do fairly good prep, let the soap soak into the stubble, then using good kit. So the last problem must be me. And after two shave sessions of essentially no leakage by NOT shaving 90 degrees upward, I've gotten great shaves.

I'll keep doing these actions and see where things go.

You might also want to try using a very steep shaving angle. Check in with the Steep Angle Shavers Alliance, I just started shaving ATG with an unbelievably steep angel and get a BBS with almost ZERO irritation.
Hmm, I'd have to check that out. Seems like I might be part of that crowd. I've always watched other YT shavers shave upwards at 90 degrees, so I did the same thing. Then I learned about feeling the way the hair grows, thanks to the fine folks of this site, which helped lead me to my initial conclusion that I was shaving at wrong angles. After learning this, if my experiment goes well, I may have slight regrets about getting rid of my Parker 99r. However, only slightly. I never liked that razor, but I didn't want to shill out hundreds of dollars for new razors because I don't think you can return a safety razor after its been used. I'd have to go with a Weishi super speed clone though if I were to try to go back.

I'm still giving this whole process some thought. I made the OP in a bit of an angry haste and have since really sat down and looked at what was wrong. I don't lament going back to carts. In a way, I already have gone back to carts, just with injectors as opposed to straight carts.

I found that I always got nicked when I shaved upwards on my neck and always in the same place, which was right in front of neck where it either is stupid tough for just about any blade to cut at that angle (90 degrees upward) or I am just not able to see effectively enough to tilt the razor just enough to not cut myself. I initially thought that using a Parker 99r was the problem because it is said to be aggressive. I do attribute some of the problems I had with the 99r to that razor itself as well as shaving upward. I had nicks in places where I used that razor that I eliminated by switching to my injector.

I think its a bit of tough hair and bad angle, as its always straight in front of my face on my neck and chin, where I have those problems. If I shave upwards at a 45 degree angle in these areas, I don't get those problems. I always do fairly good prep, let the soap soak into the stubble, then using good kit. So the last problem must be me. And after two shave sessions of essentially no leakage by NOT shaving 90 degrees upward, I've gotten great shaves.

I'll keep doing these actions and see where things go.

I have a couple hairs on my face that give me the exact same problem. Really sets my blood boiling when i feel that ONE hair catch against the razor and wait for the weeper to appear.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have a couple hairs on my face that give me the exact same problem. Really sets my blood boiling when i feel that ONE hair catch against the razor and wait for the weeper to appear.
I have NEVER been able to shave ATG on my neck without major irritation, until I tried going STEEP angle ATG on the 1st pass on my neck last month. I find that way the blade catches the hair and lifts it, before it can get pushed back and cause a weeper. Almost 4 weeks straight shaving ATG 1st pass without irritation.........

Well gents, I will admit, I have had fun throughout these last three to four years of using safety razors. From my venerable Parker 99r to now my Schick Injector type I, I have been on an incredible journey. However, there comes a time when a man needs to prioritize what is important. Right now, I can say that, classic as these instruments are, they just seem not for me.

I do not say these things lightly. I managed to knock off my bucket list, classic shaving, to my enjoyment. Talking with the friendly folks on this website, and watching the enthusiasm that some of the wet-shaving community has for this hobby, is fun (I am even subscribed to Ken Surfs). I just have to say that I got into this purely to save money on the blades, not for some hobby, as blasphemous as that sounds. I get too many nicks and cuts trying to use these razors to get my hair cut close to the skin, and I just cannot devote the time to taking the care to having to play a dexterity balancing act to getting the results I want and need.

It is with a heavy burden that I must announce that I will be retiring my injector to a ceremonial role soon and exploring either a new cartridge system or even more blasphemous, electric shavers. I appreciate the skills and advice I have learned over the past few years. Thank you.

Electrics are what I use when I'm short on time and need a shave. I get a shave as close as a blade from either my Braun Series-7, or Series-9 shavers. This little 1955 (A-4) Red tip is still my favorite.
214.jpg

Top Bottom