What's new

Learning about Pipe Tobacco

If you like Mac Baren, you have to smoke their classic and famous Mixture Scottish Blend of course. I think, Virginia No. 1 is also a must try, even if you don't like it in the end (it's much more a Danish pure Virginia in contrast to the English Virginias, quite sweet, light, grassy with a nice casing - still a non aromatic though).

Thanks. I had Scottish on the list, will add Va #1.

I know the feeling. My shaving sabbatical led to a fountain pen AD from The Nib. After I loaded up on pens and ink and such, I turned my attention to pipes and tobacco here in the Brown Leaf. Beware though, the members that hang out here in the BL are expert enablers. :001_smile

LOL... I bought a fountain pen late last year under the influence of The Nib. I don't write that much but it is on my desk and I tend to use for writing notes to myself and math derivations, etc.

I also kind of failed on my shaving purchases sabbatical this year. Tony Miller put out a special edition strop and I just had to get one. I am still patiently working through my soap supply - it should get me through the rest of the year. I haven't bought a new soap in many months now.

I'm going to work patiently though this list of recommendations, maybe limit my tin purchases to two per order. I already have nine tins. Realistically, this amount should last me the rest of the year, I think. But hey - part of this is about experiencing and learning about new stuff, which is what makes this all so fun.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
LOL... I bought a fountain pen late last year under the influence of The Nib. I don't write that much but it is on my desk and I tend to use for writing notes to myself and math derivations, etc.

I also kind of failed on my shaving purchases sabbatical this year. Tony Miller put out a special edition strop and I just had to get one. I am still patiently working through my soap supply - it should get me through the rest of the year. I haven't bought a new soap in many months now.

I'm going to work patiently though this list of recommendations, maybe limit my tin purchases to two per order. I already have nine tins. Realistically, this amount should last me the rest of the year, I think. But hey - part of this is about experiencing and learning about new stuff, which is what makes this all so fun.

Which TM special edition strop do you speak of?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

That's part of the issue with tobacco. Many blends will improve with age if stored correctly. Virginia blend will benefit the most. The sharpness will mellow out and the tobacco will become sweeter due to the natural sugars in it. Perique usually becomes less peppery and will either sweeten or become more tangy. Latakia mellows and becomes more or a rounded flavor. Straight burley blends and aromatics benefit the least from age, but depending on the blend and age can change somewhat.

The idea is to stock up now, and in two, three years time, you'll start to have a solid cellar of delicious tobacco. Buying aged tins is also an option, but generally, you'll be buying the tins at an appreciated value.

With my previous comments being said, samples are the way to go. Once you get an idea of what you like, then it becomes easier to know what to stock up on.

That's part of the issue with tobacco. Many blends will improve with age if stored correctly. Virginia blend will benefit the most. The sharpness will mellow out and the tobacco will become sweeter due to the natural sugars in it. Perique usually becomes less peppery and will either sweeten or become more tangy. Latakia mellows and becomes more or a rounded flavor. Straight burley blends and aromatics benefit the least from age, but depending on the blend and age can change somewhat.

The idea is to stock up now, and in two, three years time, you'll start to have a solid cellar of delicious tobacco. Buying aged tins is also an option, but generally, you'll be buying the tins at an appreciated value.

With my previous comments being said, samples are the way to go. Once you get an idea of what you like, then it becomes easier to know what to stock up on.

Okay. Good thing that I decided I needed a new pipe yesterday and threw into my order 1 oz samples of at least half the stuff discussed thus far! I also happen to be a former canner, so I have plenty of canning jars available.

Based on your advice I might have to compress and move up the testing schedule, lol...

Update #1

A few weeks back I ordered 1 oz each of all of the Peter Stokkebye and Newminster flakes/slices. I also ordered the Sutliff. I've been slowly smoking my way through all of these as well as my existing collection.

I have learned a lot. The pure Va's really helped me understand not only Va itself, but it allowed me to better pick up on what Perique and Dark-Fired Kentucky tastes like. The Cavendish in the bullseye flake really helped me to understand what simple Cavendish tastes like. So smoking all of these different tobaccos has helped calibrate my taste buds.

That said, recognizing that bulk tobaccos probably have a lot of variation of age as well as moisture content, the samples I like the most are the PS bullseye and the Newminster Superior Navy Flake. While the Va's tasted very light and lacking at first, I came to quickly appreciate their light flavor being a former non tobacco user. The Superior Navy Flake is just chock full of very nice flavors and aromas like honey and baking bread. The bullseye is a little more laid back relative to the Escudo, and I like the contrasting flavor when you hit the Cavendish. It's like taking a little rest stop from the spicier Perique.

I'm still also appreciating the subtleties of the Dark Twist / Superior Round Slices, MB Navy Flake, Escudo, MB Vanilla Cream, and the Lane 1Q. The more I smoke them, the more I like them. Each seems to have its place in my rotation. So far I'm liking a flavorful tobacco in the morning, and then an aromatic in the afternoon. I really like the aromatics late in the day when my taste buds are worn out from too much Perique or Dark-Fired. My taste buds get worn out quickly.

Yesterday I placed another tobacco order. I got the other Lanes, the Cult, as well as some other MB bulks (Scottish, Symphony, and Va #1), HH Pure Va, and a GL Pease Union Square. I get those Thursday... Can't wait.

BIG +1 ON CULT BLOOD RED MOON!

Fantastic tobacco even though im not a fan of Cherry this is a more natural cherry and does not taste like artificial candy. Was a bit dissapointed by some of the other pipe tobaccos that get rave reviews but this stuff is legit IMO and the tin art is a added bonus.

Another good one is Ashton Smooth Sailing- picked this up at a local tobaccoist and was my 1st real pipe tobacco that didnt come from "Wild Bill's" it is mild sweet, burns even without relights and NO tounge bite despite how fast you puff.

BIG +1 ON CULT BLOOD RED MOON!

Fantastic tobacco even though im not a fan of Cherry this is a more natural cherry and does not taste like artificial candy. Was a bit dissapointed by some of the other pipe tobaccos that get rave reviews but this stuff is legit IMO and the tin art is a added bonus.

Another good one is Ashton Smooth Sailing- picked this up at a local tobaccoist and was my 1st real pipe tobacco that didnt come from "Wild Bill's" it is mild sweet, burns even without relights and NO tounge bite despite how fast you puff.

Thanks for the recommendations... I did try the Cult and I found it to start with a nice, bright, mouth-watering cherry flavor but it didn't last that long. I may give it another go, though. Like my taste in shaving soaps, I can try stuff and initially get turned off with a bad impression. Then months/years later I can come back to it and it is awesome. So I try to never write stuff off totally.

It is interesting how one can come full circle. For the last several months I've been on a Va kick. I love McB Va#1 and for that matter Capstan yellow (which to me is like an expensive version of Va #1 and in flake form). I branched over into burleys with perhaps the best I've tried being the HH burley flake. I also like ODF but I got a tin of it and it isn't as strong as the sample that was gifted to me, so it is almost closer to the HH burley flake and very mild. But to be honest, I'm getting a little bored. So I find myself trying out some aromatics again. I got a blackberry-type of aromatic from my new local tobacconist (I just moved). He also recommended a tin of Briar Fox, which is pretty smooth and somewhat more interesting than just Va or burley. The Ashton Smooth Sailing sounds good... I wrote it down on my shopping list.

Thanks for the recommendations... I did try the Cult and I found it to start with a nice, bright, mouth-watering cherry flavor but it didn't last that long. I may give it another go, though. Like my taste in shaving soaps, I can try stuff and initially get turned off with a bad impression. Then months/years later I can come back to it and it is awesome. So I try to never write stuff off totally.

It is interesting how one can come full circle. For the last several months I've been on a Va kick. I love McB Va#1 and for that matter Capstan yellow (which to me is like an expensive version of Va #1 and in flake form). I branched over into burleys with perhaps the best I've tried being the HH burley flake. I also like ODF but I got a tin of it and it isn't as strong as the sample that was gifted to me, so it is almost closer to the HH burley flake and very mild. But to be honest, I'm getting a little bored. So I find myself trying out some aromatics again. I got a blackberry-type of aromatic from my new local tobacconist (I just moved). He also recommended a tin of Briar Fox, which is pretty smooth and somewhat more interesting than just Va or burley. The Ashton Smooth Sailing sounds good... I wrote it down on my shopping list.

I agree, shave soaps can be a lot like tobacco in that initial impressions can play a huge roll so it is best to revisit a product a while later and see if your initial impression was correct.

Keep hearing a lot about VA/pers but am not sure if I have tried one yet or not, just placed another order from tobaccopipes and although I mostly smoke aromatics, did throw in some 10 to Midnight and Dunhill as well to try and branch out a bit. Have a tin of Samuel Gowith 1782 Flake but it smells strange and am not completely sold on the flavor although the NIC hit is the strongest one yet.

I'm a little late to the party here, but I have some suggestions going off your OP.

Actually I am going to Recommend Captain Black Black Sea. This is an English blend aromatic and actually uses good tobacco. It smokes great and has good flavor and room note.

These recommendations are not aromatics really at all, but they all have nice fruit notes in both smell and flavor.
SPC Mississippi River
SPC Plum Pudding
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

and just because I personally love it, 10 Russians, but that is a Latakia heavy blend.

Top Bottom