What's new

Learn me about hunting crossbows

Hi,

I have officially gotten old. And one of the perks is that I'm now old enough to use a crossbow instead of a vertical bow. Which is nice because the arthritis is starting to make drawing my trusty old Fred Bear 50lb Recurve difficult.

Trouble is, I don't have a clue in what to look for in a "beginner" hunting crossbow. I could spend a couple hundred bucks to a couple thousand. Somewhere in between there must be a sweet spot.

And what accessories are needed? Should I get a pull string cocker or is a crank type better? How do I choose the correct bolts? Do I need a scope? They seem pretty common. What's a good crossbow scope? Tons of questions and little information to found.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Congrats! Will be following this thread. I've considered getting one for home defense, lol.

Seriously, here in Michigan I believe just about anyone can hunt with them now. Due to age, my worsening birth defect, and foolish pride I never asked my doctor for a letter to give the DNR.
I have a friend that has hunted my property quite successfully with one. He says it's more like shooting a rifle, which he enjoys.

If you do a search for "crossbow" there's a few threads that pop up. I haven't checked how useful they are though. Good luck!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I considered one until I started checking prices. Wow!

Way back when, I had the old Wham-O pistol and rifle crossbows. Fun but not accurate enough for hunting and at that time they were illegal in Texas for deer.

Interested in the responses here.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've heard several people talk about a company called "Sportsman Outfitters" from Alabama and how they are great at answering questions both before and after the sale and that so far their advice has been spot on.

I hunted with an Excalibur that I payed around $1000.00 for 1 time. I hated crossbow hunting, they’re heavy,cumbersome,slow to reload and a real pain in a tree stand. On the plus’s side, a monkey can learn to shoot one in about 3 minutes, they’re scary accurate but they encourage slob hunting practices IE, shooting to far. All and all I gave mine to my nephew just to get him shooting something that isn’t electronic. I hate crossbows they are not archery, period.

Top Bottom