What's new

Leap Year Sabbatical

Those who are participating in other Sabbaticals or restraints, please be careful.

You may restock before the Leap Year Restraint starts and before the 2020s Restraint starts as well as during the first week of the restraints. I'm going to change that to the first two weeks to match the annual 2020 Sabbatical.

You may buy as much as you want before the restraints start. Buy to replace starts after the resupply periods.

Those who successfully complete the 2019 Sabbatical may only restock during the from Jan 1, 2020 - Jan 14, 2020.

Those participating in the GRUMEs need to be careful. The best option is not resupplying in December or January.

Depending on when a person runs out of things, the rules of the annual sabbatical may mean violating a strict buy to replace philosophy. That's approved. Just don't buy 10 soaps during the resupply period. :p

I'm going to finalize the rules this weekend and start another thread. Suggestions are welcome.

I finally decided on my strategy. To keep things simple, I'm going to do the 2020s 10-year restraint using the "desert island" strategy. I'll start with a total of 27 pucks of Williams, 242 Astra SP blades, and five bottles of Mennen Skin Bracer. It's overkill, but it will only cost about $42 for new supplies.

The Leap Year Restraint and all the annual restraints will be embedded in the 2020s restraint. I'll need to be careful about buying shaving items not on the restraint list for the 2020s and leap year restraints. This year, I'll be buying some shaving towels. I'll buy those during the resupply period for the annual sabbatical.

I'll resupply on Jan 1 so I can do the January GRUME. Those who did not complete the 2019 Annual Sabbatical and who plan to do the 2020 Annual Sabbatical must buy their supplies before Jan 1.

I'll be doing some other challenges:​
  1. Cal Ripkin WMS Challenge - 2,632 shaves in a row with WMS. I'm 211 days into this challenge
  2. Cal Ripkin Astra SP challenge - same as above. Starts Jan 1, 2020.
  3. Cal Ripkin Van Der Hagen Razor Challenge - same as above. 8 shaves complete.
  4. Cal Ripkin Cremo Short Hair Brush Challenge - same as above.
  5. 120 something consecutive GRUME's.
  6. 11 consecutive annual sabbaticals counting 2019.
  7. 2 leap year restraints
  8. One blade for the month of February x 10
  9. Fixed Four for March Madness x 10 - I'll be fixed four for the 10 years, so this will be embedded.

I have updated my Wiki page; Den inventory as of 12/14/2019
I have to date 184 various DE blades on hand along with 200 blades for my Shavette's. That should cover me for blades. 4 years is 16 quarters, I average one soap or cream per quarter and have 19 on hand, plenty to get me through. I have the ingredients to mix-up the Bootleggers after shave I like, so that plus the other inventory I have should get me to the end. Here's shot of my den. It will be interesting to watch it dwindle as time passes.
IMG_2188.JPG

I have to date 184 various DE blades on hand along with 200 blades for my Shavette's. That should cover me for blades. 4 years is 16 quarters, I average one soap or cream per quarter and have 19 on hand, plenty to get me through. I have the ingredients to mix-up the Bootleggers after shave I like, so that plus the other inventory I have should get me to the end. Here's shot of my den. It will be interesting to watch it dwindle as time passes.
View attachment 1043600

That's quite a collection!

If you are ready to start on Jan 1, you may as well sign up for the 2020s restraint, too. It's buy when needed for when you want to resupply.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'll be doing some other challenges:​
  1. Cal Ripkin WMS Challenge - 2,632 shaves in a row with WMS. I'm 211 days into this challenge
  2. Cal Ripkin Astra SP challenge - same as above. Starts Jan 1, 2020.
  3. Cal Ripkin Van Der Hagen Razor Challenge - same as above. 8 shaves complete.
  4. Cal Ripkin Cremo Short Hair Brush Challenge - same as above.
  5. 120 something consecutive GRUME's.
  6. 11 consecutive annual sabbaticals counting 2019.
  7. 2 leap year restraints
  8. One blade for the month of February x 10
  9. Fixed Four for March Madness x 10 - I'll be fixed four for the 10 years, so this will be embedded.

That's a lot of Cal Ripkin. Were you a big fan of his or baseball in general, or just his amazing streak? I like the idea of finding a long series of something and making a shave related challenge out of it.

That's a lot of Cal Ripkin. Were you a big fan of his or baseball in general, or just his amazing streak? I like the idea of finding a long series of something and making a shave related challenge out of it.

I happened to watch the first game he missed on TV. I was a fan of baseball. I started going to Shea Stadium in 1965, the year it opened. My mother would let me go to NYC with friends even though I was only 12 years old. I went to many games in 1969, the year they won the series.

I was born in 1953, so I grew up when many of the Yankee and Mets greats played. I once got Casey Stengel's autograph.

I'm a big fan of endurance rather than speed. I used to be a long-distance bicycle rider. Once I entered a race that was 540 miles long in three days. Unfortunately, I had to drop out after 165 miles on the first day. I rode across Oklahoma a couple of times. Over 550 miles in a week. I was a marathoner and ran in two marathons. When I rode a motorcycle, I rode over 100,000 safe miles in four years. I twice earned the Iron Butt award for riding over 1,000 miles in a day. For a couple of years, I had more miles on a 2007 Burgman 650 than anyone.

I also like big projects. Starting in Nov 2012, I published over 50 books on Amazon in two years. I'm usually in the top 1% of Amazon authors. It's not a big deal financially.

It's only natural for me that I turn shaving activities into endurance activities.

I happened to watch the first game he missed on TV. I was a fan of baseball. I started going to Shea Stadium in 1965, the year it opened. My mother would let me go to NYC with friends even though I was only 12 years old. I went to many games in 1969, the year they won the series.

I was born in 1953, so I grew up when many of the Yankee and Mets greats played. I once got Casey Stengel's autograph.

I'm a big fan of endurance rather than speed. I used to be a long-distance bicycle rider. Once I entered a race that was 540 miles long in three days. Unfortunately, I had to drop out after 165 miles on the first day. I rode across Oklahoma a couple of times. Over 550 miles in a week. I was a marathoner and ran in two marathons. When I rode a motorcycle, I rode over 100,000 safe miles in four years. I twice earned the Iron Butt award for riding over 1,000 miles in a day. For a couple of years, I had more miles on a 2007 Burgman 650 than anyone.

I also like big projects. Starting in Nov 2012, I published over 50 books on Amazon in two years. I'm usually in the top 1% of Amazon authors. It's not a big deal financially.

It's only natural for me that I turn shaving activities into endurance activities.
That's nothing, I once ate 3 hot dogs & 2 bottles of
YOO-HOO at Yankee Stadium in 1952 when I was 10 years old, beat that.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

That's nothing, I once ate 3 hot dogs & 2 bottles of
YOO-HOO at Yankee Stadium in 1952 when I was 10 years old, beat that.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

I went to the John Glenn ticker-tape parade in 1962 when I was eight.

Those were the days, weren't they?

@GaryTha sign me up for 2020 restraint. I’ve pretty much already started (excepting if i get a shaving related xmas gift since i don’t know how that’ll go this year.) Either way i’m ready to start jan 1st.

Leap Year Restraint
1. GaryTha
2. Chandu
3. Pepin
4. byDoms
5. Ruva
6. Jamesearthdrum
7. MacDuff
8. RTM
9. martym
10. deafficianado
11. Sotiris_A
12. Brian C.
13. JeffJ

2020s Restraint
1. GaryTha
2. byDoms
3. martym
4. Ruva
5. Chandu
6. deafficianado
7. RTM
8. Sotiris_A
9. Brian C.
10. JeffJ
11. MacDuff

View attachment 1043600
Wow that looks awesome! One day soon when we ditch condo living for a house, i’d like to have something like that. Not enough space currently. Glad to see everyone is geared up for this!

Top Bottom