What's new

Leaky brick wall.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
We recently bought a house in Norco that was built in 1962 and found that there has been a water leakage problem from the next-door neighbor's habit of overwatering their yard that has gone on for decades. They leave their water running to the point where water and mud seeps through the wall and runs all over my driveway.
20220726_092846[1].jpg20220726_092818[2].jpg
You would think it would be a simple matter of asking them to not leave their water running all day long, but the renters that live there have been doing this for over 30 years, and seem oblivious to the problem. Hey, the water and mud isn't leaking all over their driveway, to them it is simply my problem. They actually seem to get perturbed when I politely ask them to turn their water off and stop damaging my property.

Repeatedly.

Millennials. Idiots. Morons. I could go on.

When I called out a contractor and they started breaking up the existing concrete, you could see that the previous owners had tried to alleviate the problem as there were 3 separate layers of concrete on top of each other.

The solution? Ripping out the entire driveway and sideyard concrete and installing a 10" curb with a 70' pool drain, then pouring a new driveway and sideyard.
20220917_171141[1].jpg

In addition I'm having a 10' x 10' pad poured for the wife's SheShed.
20220917_171419[1].jpg
And a new front porch.
20220917_171022[2].jpg20220917_171106[1].jpg
They start ripping out the driveway Monday.

~doug~

Last edited:
I would elevate whole area, add more earth, so tst at the end of project, their water and mud leaks to them, making it their problem

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am an evil person, but this is something I'd be SO tempted to do:

Did a hole big enough for a 55 gallon drum right where his water collects in yer driveway. Then get a super duper powerful sump pump and aim it at one of his windows, or a patio if that's an option.

If that didn't make him take heed I'd put feral cats in his mailbox.

If that didn't work I'd end up in prison, eventually.

My neighbors yard is about 12" higher than mine. They had a downspout that caused me to have a leaky basement during extremely wet weather. Water would seep in at one corner. Fortunately it trickled to a drain and was removed by the sump pump. A couple of years ago, I had to have a new sewer line ran down my side yard between my house and the neighborhoods. The ditch ranged from 5 and 9 feet deep. Instead of filling it back with dirt, I filled it with #57 stone to create a giant French drain. During this project, I talked to the neighbor and got her permission to dig a trench to the street and run her downspout away from the house. It added a few extra bucks to my bill, but got me a much drier basement.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I am an evil person, but this is something I'd be SO tempted to do:

Did a hole big enough for a 55 gallon drum right where his water collects in yer driveway. Then get a super duper powerful sump pump and aim it at one of his windows, or a patio if that's an option.

If that didn't make him take heed I'd put feral cats in his mailbox.

If that didn't work I'd end up in prison, eventually.
Ok, so now that I got all the driveway work finished and there is no longer a drainage problem, they are letting the elm tree that drops leaves and tree sap all over my driveway regrow. And considering the neighbor's wife had the audacity to complain to the construction workers about leaving some shovels and brooms on their crappy lawn while they were working, I have devised a plan.

She appears to me to be a very spiteful person, but what do I know. Maybe I'm just an annoying neighbor that doesn't like them letting their trash fall on my property.

I gonna buy a waste basket just for them, and when it is filled with leaves from their tree I will simply take it over with me, knock on their door and ask them where they want me to put them. With a smile on my face, ready to pour them out on their porch.

~doug~

Ok, so now that I got all the driveway work finished and there is no longer a drainage problem, they are letting the elm tree that drops leaves and tree sap all over my driveway regrow. And considering the neighbor's wife had the audacity to complain to the construction workers about leaving some shovels and brooms on their crappy lawn while they were working, I have devised a plan.

She appears to me to be a very spiteful person, but what do I know. Maybe I'm just an annoying neighbor that doesn't like them letting their trash fall on my property.

I gonna buy a waste basket just for them, and when it is filled with leaves from their tree I will simply take it over with me, knock on their door and ask them where they want me to put them. With a smile on my face, ready to pour them out on their porch.

~doug~
It's nice to know that I'm not the only person that thinks the way you are thinking.

Be careful with the leaf dumping on the porch. They could potentially press for trespassing, and dumping/ littering on their property. Just don't want you to face three hots and a cot.

You say these folks are renters. Have you ever spoken to the owner?
If the tree is overhanging the property line, you can have it cut back. Ultimately the owner of that house is responsible for that bill.

we have that problem our inside backyard walls are finished and painted and its always peeling off ! so so so annoying

was told it has to be sealed from the other side with the dirt and sealing is tough to do correct and a barrier also has to be used and proper drainage and NOBODY ever does it as its to expensive

Yes, you can cut what is on your side. However, the bill is probably on you. At least that is how the courts see it where I live.
I hear what you are saying, but in this case the tree is creating a mess, and the suffering homeowner cannot enjoy their property to the fullest. Thats the issue.

~doug~
lucky my neighbors are quite nice and we all get along :) he has even sent over his pool guy when his leaves blow into our pool before :)

neighbor across the street who is a buddy his neighbors behind him not so nice :) the joke about the problem trees in the neighbors yard is always nothing a bag of salt wont fix :)

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Be careful with the leaf dumping on the porch. They could potentially press for trespassing, and dumping/ littering on their property. Just don't want you to face three hots and a cot.

You say these folks are renters. Have you ever spoken to the owner?
If the tree is overhanging the property line, you can have it cut back. Ultimately the owner of that house is responsible for that bill.
Oh, the plan is to go there with my wife and kids in tow, camera on, knock on their door and ask them where they want me to dump the leaves. With a smile on my face. I will even ask them "What would ______ do", as they had one of his signs in their yard for about three months.

The 35 year old kid rents the house from his Dad. Lived there his entire life. When we first moved in, I asked if I could have the tree cut down at my expense, he called his Dad and gave me permission. His Dad said the tree had caused plumbing problems for them and didn't like the tree anyway. The next day I had a crew come out and cut the tree down and removed, at my expense, $1800.

A month later they had a guy come out and grind the tree stump and I thought all was good. Evidently the kid forgot to tell his wife the tree was coming down, so she went on a rampage overwatering daily as soon as he left for work, flooding my driveway for months, until I had enough and had a loud verbal confrontation with them about it.

She stood there and taped it on her cell phone as I called them immature and inconsiderate, while the kid told me there was nothing I could do about it. I dared her to post the video. Two days later as I was hosing off a load of dirt they had dumped on my driveway the kid came over, apologized and the overwatering stopped for a month, then began again.

So I stood out in the street one day videotaping our driveway being flooded until she came out, saw me and turned the water off. The overwatering stopped and the tree has begun to re-grow. Coincidence? I think not.

Husband P____y Whipped. For sure.

Old age and treachery will win out over youth and exuberance every time.

~doug~

I do like the bag of salt idea. <eg>

That is rough. Bummer.

Water always goes downhill. Our last house had a dry crawl space. Only one on the block, and no sump pump either. New neighbor moves in uphill. A couple of years on adds rather lengthy drain tiles away from his house. Cost me about 7k to dry and line the crawl space after that mess. If only he would have come spoken with me we could have trenched the yard with a run off.

Neighbors, what can you do? Current neighbor floods our screen porch with dirt and water every time he irrigates. We have given up using the porch.

FarmerTan

That is rough. Bummer.

Water always goes downhill. Our last house had a dry crawl space. Only one on the block, and no sump pump either. New neighbor moves in uphill. A couple of years on adds rather lengthy drain tiles away from his house. Cost me about 7k to dry and line the crawl space after that mess. If only he would have come spoken with me we could have trenched the yard with a run off.

Neighbors, what can you do? Current neighbor floods our screen porch with dirt and water every time he irrigates. We have given up using the porch.
That just sucks. I literally thank God for my incredible neighborhood.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Distributes well with a SuperSoaker.

View attachment 1545503
Great idea!!!!!!!!

A bottle of ammonia and spray bottle only cost me $5 and I can hit the tree from my doorway, Lol.
Exactly why I went to all the trouble of installing the wall drain. I should have known there was trouble when we moved in, as there were pallets and a serious amount of trash left just where all the water was seeping out of the wall.

I have a really hard time believing the neighbors didn't know it was going on.

I do believe they just don't care.
That just sucks. I literally thank God for my incredible neighborhood.
One crappy neighbor out of 40 really good neighbors ain't bad, I'm just one of the unlucky ones that get to live next door to the idiots. They don't wave at Darwin, the neighbor that lives on the other side either. Darwin does, wave at me.

I'm even more lucky with all the friends I have here too!!!

~doug~

Reactions: ctr

FarmerTan

Yes, Badger and Blade is a neighborhood unto itself, honestly. And a great one.

We have neighbors that have "adopted" elderly neighbors, invite each other to social gatherings, etc.

We have completely different views on politics, religion, etc....

But I swear, we even still help raise each other's kids, watch pets..... I hate the idea of ever moving!

Top Bottom