What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

With all the little groups we have on this forum like the BOTC and the AOM, I thought it would be fun to have a little group dedicated to those of us who prefer mild razors. You don't need a skin grafter to get a close shave, and I'm living proof. I have a heavy coarse beard and a mild razor with a sharp blade does the trick for me. My favored razors are the Tech and my Progress set low. If you want to join, just post a pic of your favorite mild razors and you can put LEMS in your signature if you wish.

There's not a stipulation that you must only shave with mild razors, just that you appreciate and enjoy the shave you get from mild razors. If you want to join, just post a pic of your favorite mild razors, and you can put LEMS in your signature if you wish. You won't get a secret decoder ring or anything like that. This is just for fun. If you want to join then great. If not, that's fine too. Here's my pic showing my mild razors.

$P1020439.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea.

I have a strong preference for mild razors. My beard is moderately to highly dense and quite coarse. My weapon of choice is the Gillette Tech mainly.

With more aggressive razors I get along as well(I get great shaves with my Gillette New), but I like the peace of mind that if I slip up I will not cut myself deep at least. Also am I able to shave faster with a mild razor.

I do not have a camera near me right now, will post a picture later if that is alright.

Clockwise from 12 o'clock: Gem Junior Bar, Gem Damaskeene, Flare Tip Rocket, Feather AS-D1, Pre-War Tech, HD Rocket, LD Rocket, Travel Tech (BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe handle), EJ 89 (Sabi T2 handle). Not Pictured: Stahly live blade and late 40's Aristocrat.

$2013-02-14 10.21.01.jpg

Last edited:
If you haven't had the chance yet, a pyscho may be right up your alley. I vary too much between razors to commit but I've never used anything as mild.

I have a 1950s Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip that's so darn mild it's very close to being listed on the B/S/T.

I know that YMMV, but for me there's "mild" [EJ DE89], "milder" [Ball End Tech] and "is anything happening?" [Blue Tip].

I have a 1950s Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip that's so darn mild it's very close to being listed on the B/S/T.

I know that YMMV, but for me there's "mild" [EJ DE89], "milder" [Ball End Tech] and "is anything happening?" [Blue Tip].

Funny Comment

Foyle, great idea. i, originally, thought i needed the most aggressive razors out there and accumulated mostly open-combs, but soon realized that they were not for me and now i mainly use my Weber DLCs and my Progress (modern/vintage)! i am getting the best shaves that i have ever gotten! i will post pics, later.

Prefer mild over aggressive....

Titan/ M1
Fatboy G1 - I suppose that an adjustable can also qualify as mild.

Great idea

I suppose that I'm more of a mid-range aggressive shavers. The Merkur 34 HD is probably my favorite razor.

Although I love the build quality of Edwin Jagger razors, my 89 Barley just doesn't cut it for me unless I shim it. Yet there's something about Gillette Tech's that work for me and oddly a beat up Gillette Knack. The Knack puzzles me as it's a super speed head on a cheap, plastic handle. Whereas flair tip SuperSpeeds didn't cut - go figure.

I PIF'ed my Tech to a newb awhile ago, I need to reaquire.

I'm in! My entire stable consists of nothing but mild shavers. With all the talk of R41's, Fatips, and Slants, we need more appreciation for razors that don't have the ability to remove a layer of skin with each pass.

Sign me in! Since the age of 17 that I grow a blacker, heavier and faster growing beard than any of my older teachers. I have bought a few razors and and give away the ones I didn't liked. In the end I kept only my Ikon OSS and the other 2 base plates.

90% of the times this is my weapon of choice, and my dream is to own a Feather TAS-DS, I'm a love fool for that base stand.
$IMG_1543.jpg
A mild shaver with a shallow blade angle and the sharpest blade available is the most comfortable thing I can put on my beard and skin.

$100_6536.jpg

I am enjoying the milder razor more and more. I get a Much closer BBS, on my upper lip, from these milder razors. Plus, I am shaving everyday and I can easily do this with these.

Oh, two Super Speeds, Tech, Old Type and EJ 89.

I started with mild razors. Like many here, I came to believe that I needed increasingly more aggressive razors to get the ultimate shave. I eventually found that I could get a BBS shave with just about any razor. I came back to mild razors, getting the BBS shave with no irritation. It does require better technique with mild razors, because the effective blade gap is smaller. However, with experience, I no longer have any trouble with this aspect of shaving. I still reach for the aggressive razors from time to time, but most days, I choose one of these;

$image.jpg

Mike

$P1040803.jpg​I use Feathers, Bolzanos and Crystals in my Crat Yup I'm in, Sharp blade , less aggressive shaver = dfs. The Aristocrat is so nice to use under the nose, the neck, ahhhhhhhhhhhh.:thumbup1:

I'm in! My entire stable consists of nothing but mild shavers. With all the talk of R41's, Fatips, and Slants, we need more appreciation for razors that don't have the ability to remove a layer of skin with each pass.

I regularly use a Tech and don't find that it removes any more or less skin than my slant as I always take my time when shaving, regardless of the razor + blade combo.

I'm in. I shave with a '58 TV Special and recently tried a Derby blade with an Arko shave stick:thumbup1:. Mildest shave ever!

Last edited:
Top Bottom