What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

It's been awhile since anyone posted here but I am totally in. I have shaved with either a Merkur 15c or 11c as my daily driver for over 6 years. I love mild razors. It wasn't till I came back to the forum and my RAD came back that I thought I would need anything else. An ikon X3 is in the mail right now for me.
IMG-20181105-WA0042.jpg

I am definitely in. I much prefer my English Tech, Karve b and slim at setting 3.

I can't understand how shaving can be fun when you're constantly feeling the blade and worrying if you'll get a nick.

Even with an Astra I'm constantly on the edge when using my GC84.

I personally can’t explain it to myself, but I use Feather AC kamisori from time to time.
Living on the edge from time to time.

I personally can’t explain it to myself, but I use Feather AC kamisori from time to time.
Living on the edge from time to time.

I've got a few straights like a herder 49 but straight shaving is rather different lol.

DE shaving to me is like a nice friendly doubles tennis match while straight shaving like a 3hr slugfest singles match.

I love both but I don't want to spend that much effort or energy when I'm rushing to get to work lol.

I want to relax and have a nice easy DE shave on a weekday.

After trying all sorts of razor types (some quite aggressive) plus the Feather SS/DX shavettes, I've come to appreciate mild and efficient razors. Just makes shaving so much more relaxed! Sometimes I admit, I long for the shavettes but it's hardly the rule.

After trying all sorts of razor types (some quite aggressive) plus the Feather SS/DX shavettes, I've come to appreciate mild and efficient razors. Just makes shaving so much more relaxed! Sometimes I admit, I long for the shavettes but it's hardly the rule.
I totally agree.
Mild efficient and relaxed shave on the weekday moorings just before I head to work.
On top is the Oneblade. Doesn’t require to much technique.It requires a three pass shave.Very relaxed shaving.
Not far behind is the Occam razor. Mild but less effective so it requires a little more touchups. Never the less very relaxed shave.
Then followed by The Hawk and the Progress on it’s mildest setting. Mild but requires a little more attention. But they are obviously much more effective. I can do maybe with two passes and achieve the same.

I've been mostly gone for few years, but that's because I settled into a routine of Slim or Fatboy everyday at 3 with occasional touchups at 2. Sometimes a Tech or Krona for variety. I still try to work through the many products of early RAD but I really don't have anything else I like better than those two. I've wanted to try a Feather ASD2 but not excited about spending big money on something I have to load by unscrewing the cap. I much prefer butterfly TTO as I've had accidents even loading a Tech. Occasionally I'll use an injector but that's mostly it. When I tried a shavette again, I was too out of practice and nicked myself.

For me, the Rockwell 6S with plate 3, or even 4, is the king of mild. Otherwise, the Game Changer .68 and the Merkur 34C are more than capable backups.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
The mildest razors in my rotation are a Merkur 34c HD and and Edwin Jagger DE89. Both are perfect for a fast, mindless shave.

DSCF0015 - Edited (4).jpg

DSCF0009 - Edited (6).jpg

Been a while since I've visited this thread. My Feather DS2 is still my DE razor of choice. But, I've found straight razors to deliver an even milder, smoother shave. I have to admit it took a couple of hundred shaves to get to that point versus one shave for the DS2. :straight:

As a newb DE razor user, sometimes I wonder if there is a more milder razor than the Techs I use. I have a Wilkinson Sword Classic that I started on put on the shelf....I wonder......

You might consider looking at the Gillette Adjustables: Slim, Black Beauty, Super Adjustable, etc. My Fatboy can be gloriously mild by simply dialing it down. Based on my subjective assessment, my post-war Tech was roughly equivalent to Fatboy on 3 or 4.

A Tech is under consideration.
I’ve been following the Tech Clone thread. I’m more inclined to get a vintage Tech.

The Yingjili costs only a few bucks. I have some vintage Tech's but there's really little reason to buy one now days, there are so many decent clones out there.

The Yingjili costs only a few bucks. I have some vintage Tech's but there's really little reason to buy one now days, there are so many decent clones out there.

Okay. That means I could buy a different handle.
The tendons in my thumb is shot to hell. I need a fatter grippier handle.

Top Bottom