What's new

Leaf vs Oneblade experiment (especially blade life)

I hadn't tried either the Leaf or the Oneblade (Genesis), so I got both to test drive. So far, both seem promising. I really like the Leaf for its inexpensive and sustainability sides. I like that one can use whatever SE or DE blade they like.

The Oneblade seems good too, but I'm only two shaves in. If I only get 1-2 shaves per blade and the blades are proprietary, that is a big negative. I don't really understand it, folks don't report such a short blade life with other single-edge blade razors (like Supply, GEM, Hawk, Oren, etc.). What are you all seeing for blade life in a Oneblade?

For me, 6 in a Hybrid.

I've heard you can use a de-spined Gem in it as well, but I haven't tried that.

I have never tried a OneBlade, but those Feather blades they require don't last very long for me in Valet razors; two good shaves. Can squeak in a third with palm stropping.

It's why I stopped using my Valet razor, and why I would never consider a OneBlade. As far as using de-spined GEM blades is concerned, my understanding is that with the first-generation razor you could do that, but once they found out that there was a way to by-pass their proprietary blade system they redesigned it to make sure it was nearly impossible to do.

I'm surprised and annoyed that Feather would produce a blade that one can only get a shave or two from, they are better than that. Then Oneblade (or market forces) making these about a buck a blade makes this more expensive than cartridge razors! I can easily get 10+ shaves from a $1.25 3-blade cartridge.

I'm just talking about the Feather blades, I'm not willing to do all the work to de-spine blades.

Approx 2 shaves with a feather fhs in my oneblade core if I am lucky and flip the blade 3.

Despined and clipped (different holes for the lockpins) gems last approx 10 shaves. But they shave rough the first shave.

I used the oneblade core this week. I got 3 shaves from the blade but the 3rd shave wasn't as nice.

I just received the leaf and plan to head Shave with it this week. The leaf stand and silicone grip are in my mailbox today.

I can probably push 5 shaves with the OneBlade - what a rip-off in terms of blades! The leaf, with Feather blades also, probably lasts for 20 shaves. I would also suggest Occam if you like the floating blade feature of the OneBlade ... although the AC blades for that razor are also expensive (comparable with those for the OneBlade -- but they last longer, probably 7-8 shaves).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I can get 10 great with a Gem blade in my One blade Core and I use this razor for the back of my neck after I trim my hair every 3 weeks. Beautiful mild razor and now I'm going to test a new hack on a Gem blades that "Subie shaves" on Youtube (Jan1 2022 video) I use a Gem modified blade in my Oneblade core now and his way you just only have to de-spline the back of 2 Gem blades and use the second as a wedge. He head shave with his Oneblade and he is full of energy that fellow, but I will test his procedure tomorrow. For the wedge blade I recommend a spent Gem blade if you have one. Once you master how good a Gem coated blade works it is kind of hard to beat & as for Oneblade razors they are awesome for quick shaving and good transitional razor from cartridge to SE shaving (Newbies)and irritation free mostly from my experiences.
De-splining a Gem blade is one of the most easiest things to do, like 5 seconds with a simple pair of pliers.

Core + Feather = 2 Shaves.

Yet to try GEM blades. If those show no better longevity, bye bye Core and OneBlade.

Try the GEM hack, extends the blade life 5x or more. The shave is a little rough on it’s first run unless you cork the blade. Subie Shaves hack is easy to do and can change your opinion of the OneBlade.

Nah, the OneBlade has already been returned. Not only did the official blade only give two shaves, it is wildly inconsistent between the two.

The Wiki entry: “Taking a DE blade and pulling the edges through a cork (for instance from a wine bottle). Some people find it help take the roughness out of sharper blades like those made by Feather.”

Top Bottom