What's new

Leaf Twig vs Thorn

Hi all, just a quick question on what I might prefer between these two. After years using electric I went back to my old Gillette Fusion handle with Skinguard cartridges and have been relatively fine with it. I use the single edge on the back of the blade for my upper lip and to generally finish things off. I tend to prefer how that feels (seems closer and faster).

I was trying a DE but the head is way too big to do under my nose, and I can't see very well to safely get close to my lips. I've been looking at these Leaf SE's today and wonder which of the Twig or Thorn would be nearest the experience with that single trimmer blade on the back of the Gillette carts. Anyone able to make a comparison on that?

It's been close to 10 years since I used a cartridge razor but I remember the single trimmer blade on the back. I don't own a Twig or Thorn but I have used my wife's Twig a few times and it is fantastic under the nose. I would suggest the Twig over the Thorn unless you have extremely coarse whiskers and dense beard growth.

I'm curious about which DE razor you used unsuccessfully. There are many DE razors with slim maneuverable heads.

The DE I have is the Van Der Hagen adjustable, Van Der Hagen Twist Adjustable Safety Razor - https://www.riteaid.com/shop/van-der-hagen-twist-adjustable-safety-razor. (I had intended to get the non-adjustable one, but grabbed the wrong box.) My main issue with it, aside from the size, is finding a setting that actually shaves my beard, unless I'm using it only for a second pass. If I go more than ~1.5 days, it doesn't seem to remove very much. I've been dialing up the aggressiveness to find out which non-adjustable would be useful, and was looking at Henson for that. I'm also hoping to pick up a non-adjustable from a relative, probably an old Gillette with the butterfly top.

The ability to see what I'm doing is another obstacle that I've been deferring until I can get most of face and neck shaved with a wet razor (even the cartridge). Especially around my mouth, where hair is growing right at the lip edge and corners; getting those spots with a blade and not nicking or scraping the skin was always a problem that I handled with some kind of screened electric.

The DE I have is the Van Der Hagen adjustable, Van Der Hagen Twist Adjustable Safety Razor - https://www.riteaid.com/shop/van-der-hagen-twist-adjustable-safety-razor. (I had intended to get the non-adjustable one, but grabbed the wrong box.) My main issue with it, aside from the size, is finding a setting that actually shaves my beard, unless I'm using it only for a second pass. If I go more than ~1.5 days, it doesn't seem to remove very much. I've been dialing up the aggressiveness to find out which non-adjustable would be useful, and was looking at Henson for that. I'm also hoping to pick up a non-adjustable from a relative, probably an old Gillette with the butterfly top.

The ability to see what I'm doing is another obstacle that I've been deferring until I can get most of face and neck shaved with a wet razor (even the cartridge). Especially around my mouth, where hair is growing right at the lip edge and corners; getting those spots with a blade and not nicking or scraping the skin was always a problem that I handled with some kind of screened electric.

I think you will enjoy the Twig.

The Twig is my favorite set up and I highly recommend it for the reasons you cite. It is very maneuverable and easy to use under the nose. I've tried about 12 DE's and SE's and this one works the best for me. The RazoRock Game Changer and Schick injectors also work well under the nose. I have not tried a Thorn, but with a sharp blade the Twig does a great job. Very easy transition from a cartridge also.

After reading the reviews I bought the Thorn , big mistake. One shave and I hated it.Very aggressive (to me).
So I found a Twig on Ebay and bought it and I love it. The Twig can take down a four days growth with no effort,very gentle too.
The Thorn is going back .

Top Bottom