What's new

Leaf Twig first shave- disappointing

I got into wet shaving in an attempt to deal with ingrown hairs. It didn’t work, but I did discover that a safety razor was a billion times more comfortable to use than a disposable, so I never went back. My experience has only included a Feather popular and a handful of vintage Superspeeds. I picked my favorite Superspeed, and have used it for years since.

Lately the ingrowns have gotten even worse, which prompted me to try something different. I’d like to stick with safety razor shaving if at all possible, but it seemed like I needed to try something drastically different than the traditional butterfly heads I’ve been using so far. I got interested in the Twig and the Henson.

I ordered the Twig first, and it arrived today. It looks nice, and the handle has a nice heft. No issues with the finish or the mechanism. I really like the small size of the head, and was looking forward to my first shave.

Unfortunately it was a let down. The first pass cut so far from the skin that it still looked like day-old growth. I realized I was going to have to work quite a bit to get a mediocre shave, but as I manipulated the razor it kept slipping in my hand. The rinse water was dripping down the handle, causing the ultra slick, heavy, tapered handle to slip in my hand. Squeezing it only accelerated the slippage due to the taper. Since all of the machining is vertical, there’s nothing to grip to prevent it from moving that way. Putting a finger under the base of the handle was an awkward workaround.

I tried a second pass with similar results, and cleaned up with a Superspeed so I didn’t have to do half a dozen passes.

I’ll try a couple of different blades, but I’m pretty sure this one is getting sent back.

The handle is its biggest flaw, without a doubt.

Regarding the shave, I have seen people using it with the incorrect angle, pressing the large flat area on the very top against the skin.

It's supposed to be used with the safety bar and the smaller flat area, right above the blade, against the skin. Those should be the only two parts that are in contact with the skin. I.e a neutral angle.

So, I have a Twig and two weeks under my belt and I really like it. It sounds like an angle issue. I think Leaf recommends 35 degrees. It should come to you eventually.

Are you using the Leaf blade that came with it? You might want to try one of your favorite blades in it to see if it works better. Once you get the angle right, you won't necessarily feel the blade but you'll know it's cutting the whiskers.

As far as the handle, rub a little alum block on your fingertips - problem solved.

Good luck!

Shave #2 with an Astra platinum went much better than #1. One spot on my neck that takes three across the grain passes in different directions with a Superspeed was cleaned up in two same direction passes with the Twig. I was able to use a little more pressure without slippage since I was drying my fingers and he handle after every rinse, but I was drying my fingers and the handle after every rinse- which was a PITA.

Thanks for the alum block suggestion- I’ll give it a try. I’m still baffled that a company would settle on such an inherently flawed design, but I guess form over function is pretty common these days.

So, I have a Twig and two weeks under my belt and I really like it. It sounds like an angle issue. I think Leaf recommends 35 degrees. It should come to you eventually.

Are you using the Leaf blade that came with it? You might want to try one of your favorite blades in it to see if it works better. Once you get the angle right, you won't necessarily feel the blade but you'll know it's cutting the whiskers.

As far as the handle, rub a little alum block on your fingertips - problem solved.

Good luck!
Two important points in this post!
- 35 degree angle (approximately, of course) between handle and face. Riding the cap is a mistake.
- I’m sure the Leaf blades work for some folks but not for me.

The handle can be slippery, but if you hold the razor so that the bottom of the handle sits in the middle of the palm of your hand, it’s not a problem. In fact, the bottom heavy balance makes it stable that way. Also, it helps to let the water drain out of the hole in the handle before starting to shave.

I just picked up a Gently used leaf twig for 25 bucks...i didn't like the idea of shaving with the twig...I like the traditional 3 peice razor..However, i gave it a go..and I got one of the best BBS shaves of my life..damn, the thing is as ugly as sin..However, the angle is almost impossible not to find, and The head fits in anywhere and it shaves unbelievably well for me. I just hope I don't like it that much and can use my other razors in the future. I avoided buying the twig because I knew I would like it.. Very conflicted..:blink:

It's got to be a difference in technique, but I have the opposite experience. I have found the Twig to be the best razor I've owned. It shaves my face as smooth as a babies butt and no nicks, cuts, or weeps. I've used multiple different blades in it and all cut equally well. I can't say enough good things about it. I like the handle ergonomics too, but it probably depends on how you hold the razor. You know what they say, one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

I also bought the Twig. I'm always seaching for that perfect razor. I've gone through at least two dozen razors so far. Mostly DEs (vintage and new) but a few injectors. My latest best was the Maxwell June. My only complaint was with certain thicker lathers and a longer beard it clogged up between the blades. Conflicted between the Twig and the Thorn I finally decided I would go with the less aggressive choice. It worked out well for me. Like the previous comment; no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. Best shave that I've ever had. Now I think I'll quit searching for that perfect razor.

I got into wet shaving in an attempt to deal with ingrown hairs. It didn’t work, but I did discover that a safety razor was a billion times more comfortable to use than a disposable, so I never went back. My experience has only included a Feather popular and a handful of vintage Superspeeds. I picked my favorite Superspeed, and have used it for years since.

Lately the ingrowns have gotten even worse, which prompted me to try something different. I’d like to stick with safety razor shaving if at all possible, but it seemed like I needed to try something drastically different than the traditional butterfly heads I’ve been using so far. I got interested in the Twig and the Henson.

I ordered the Twig first, and it arrived today. It looks nice, and the handle has a nice heft. No issues with the finish or the mechanism. I really like the small size of the head, and was looking forward to my first shave.

Unfortunately it was a let down. The first pass cut so far from the skin that it still looked like day-old growth. I realized I was going to have to work quite a bit to get a mediocre shave, but as I manipulated the razor it kept slipping in my hand. The rinse water was dripping down the handle, causing the ultra slick, heavy, tapered handle to slip in my hand. Squeezing it only accelerated the slippage due to the taper. Since all of the machining is vertical, there’s nothing to grip to prevent it from moving that way. Putting a finger under the base of the handle was an awkward workaround.

I tried a second pass with similar results, and cleaned up with a Superspeed so I didn’t have to do half a dozen passes.

I’ll try a couple of different blades, but I’m pretty sure this one is getting sent back.

Have you tried slant razors yet? Slant razors have worked the best for me at eliminating ingrown hairs and irritation. The slants that work best for me are the Merkur 37c and IKON X3. These two slants give me exceptionally smooth BBS shaves. I do prefer the IKON X3, the Merkur 37c is slightly less efficient for me.

Two important points in this post!
- 35 degree angle (approximately, of course) between handle and face. Riding the cap is a mistake.
- I’m sure the Leaf blades work for some folks but not for me.

The handle can be slippery, but if you hold the razor so that the bottom of the handle sits in the middle of the palm of your hand, it’s not a problem. In fact, the bottom heavy balance makes it stable that way. Also, it helps to let the water drain out of the hole in the handle before starting to shave.
I made these comments about my Thorn. I recently converted my Thorn to a Twig by switching baseplates. The switching takes care, but I got it done with help from the EXCELLENT Leaf customer service folks.

My comments about angle and handling apply equally to the Thorn and the Twig. But there's real difference in performance. For me, the Twig shaves more smoothly and intuitively without losing efficiency. (My beard is light-to-medium, and I prefer mild razors.) Also, the Leaf blade, which was inefficient and prone-to-skip in my Thorn, came to life in my Twig. I got six excellent shaves and four more good ones from one blade.

Reactions: tm3
Top Bottom