What's new

Lead wedges...

Just picked up a vintage Sheffield razor with what seems to be a lead wedge. Anyway I have dismantled it and given it a good clean and re-pinned it all ready to hone up.

Not sure about this lead wedge though. What's that all about? I believe quite a few of the vintage razors had lead wedges. It seems to ruin the 'feel' of the blade to my mind. When the razor is in the hand, the weight at the end of the scales seems to attempt to pull the blade into a steeper angle, if that makes sense. I may junk it in favor of something lighter.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Before you junk it, check where the razor's balance point is when opened 180°. Most balance within about 5mm (⅜") from the pivot pin.

If yours balances within the normal range, I doubt that the lead wedge is affecting your shaving movements, unless you shave at a very high speed. It could all just be in your mind.

Legion

Staff member
Since a lot of the older razors with the lead wedge have a heavier grind, I would have thought the lead would help to balance it.

Anyway, a wedge is pretty small. I doubt I would notice much difference.

Yeah it's probably just me! I'll hone the thing up and see if it takes a decent edge. If it does, I'll try a shave or two with it 'as is' in an effort to keep its originality.

As with all my things antique (like oil lamps, furniture and motorcycles) I prefer originality. Rather have the original paint with patina than over restored and re-finished. So, if it feels good with a shave, the lead can stay!

Just picked up a vintage Sheffield razor with what seems to be a lead wedge. Anyway I have dismantled it and given it a good clean and re-pinned it all ready to hone up.

Not sure about this lead wedge though. What's that all about? I believe quite a few of the vintage razors had lead wedges. It seems to ruin the 'feel' of the blade to my mind. When the razor is in the hand, the weight at the end of the scales seems to attempt to pull the blade into a steeper angle, if that makes sense. I may junk it in favor of something lighter.

I always thought the wedges were pewter.
They don't indent easily.

Top Bottom