What's new

LEA Professional

Hi @malocchio, @Jayboz and @Frank Shaves, I just threw in a couple LEA 250g Professional tubes onto an incoming Connaught order to hit the free shipping minimum. Have a tube of the menthol 150g and it is great. Noticed that, unlike the 150g tubes that are metal, the 250g tubes are plastic. Users of the product in the metal tubes have noted a shelf life of up to 5 years.

Any guidance, from your experience with the product, on the shelf life of the large 250g LEA in the plastic tube as it is not as strong a barrier against air and moisture over time as is metal?

With some Cyril Salter that is part of the incoming order this is my first foray into creams as other than the above tube of LEA Menthol I've been 100% shaving soap until now where shelf life isn't much of an issue.
Just keep your creams in a cool place if possible. Heat, light and microbial contamination are the enemy.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I too am a fan of the LEA Professional creams -- I have both the Original and Mentholated in plastic tubes, and I've had them both for over 2 years and they're doing just fine. Honestly, I've been unlucky with metal tubes (in general) -- I guess I'm too abusive, but they seem likely to crack and leak on me over time. Enjoy the LEA -- it is a great product!

As others mentioned, i think youre fine. Ive had tubes where there is a little separation if they haven't been used in awhile. And tubs of TOBS that hardens slightly with age. As long as it smells ok, and no mold, ive never had any problems. For what its worth, there are guys who get 50-60 year old creams and love them. Theyre in metal, but i think plastic would last even longer.

Hi @malocchio, @Jayboz and @Frank Shaves, I just threw in a couple LEA 250g Professional tubes onto an incoming Connaught order to hit the free shipping minimum. Have a tube of the menthol 150g and it is great. Noticed that, unlike the 150g tubes that are metal, the 250g tubes are plastic. Users of the product in the metal tubes have noted a shelf life of up to 5 years.

Any guidance, from your experience with the product, on the shelf life of the large 250g LEA in the plastic tube as it is not as strong a barrier against air and moisture over time as is metal?

With some Cyril Salter that is part of the incoming order this is my first foray into creams as other than the above tube of LEA Menthol I've been 100% shaving soap until now where shelf life isn't much of an issue.
If I remember right, the plastic tube has a foil seal, which is far better than no seal. The all metal tubes are hermetically sealed , which is the best seal you can get .

Thank you everyone including @malocchio , @Jayboz , @Flintstone65, @NorthernSoul and @Frank Shaves. Shaved with my LEA Menthol today - great shave, link below. It definitely punches above its weight.

For my handful of LEA shaves to-date I've used a 100% face lathering technique versus my soap pucks where I build on the puck. Very easy and works really well with my synthetic brush. Key is to start with all excess water shaken out of the brush with a half dozen water additions to the brush that enable the lather to fully bloom. Also works well with my soaps as a superlathering agent that adds a bit of menthol cooling.

Looking forward to the incoming LEA professional and Cyril R. Salter creams. Will experiment, as I have with my soaps, though curious if you've found that the LEA works best as a wetter lather, as my soaps do, or as a somewhat dryer and richer lather?

Last edited:
Connaught order arrived today including a couple of 250g tubes of LEA professional. Shaved with it and the lather was excellent. Squeezed out a roughly 2 cm. strip of cream from the tube and spread it on my face. Used one of my synthetic brushes and in under a minute the LEA bloomed into plenty of rich and slick lather. Thirsty shaving cream, added water to my brush around 6-7 times. Perfect 10/10 2+ pass shave.

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations and advice regarding the LEA.

Quick update on my LEA Professional 250 tube of shaving cream. The product continues to work well. The only glitch is that the plastic red cap is fragile and easily damaged if overtightened. Mine broke apart today. Solution was to empty all the remaining cream (likely around 75-80% of the original quantity) into an airtight 12 oz plastic container similar to what I store/use my rotation soaps in.

Will treat it like my Cyril R. Salter creams that come in tubs going forward where a small expresso spoon is used to scoop out the desired amount of product.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Quick update on my LEA Professional 250 tube of shaving cream. The product continues to work well. The only glitch is that the plastic red cap is fragile and easily damaged if overtightened. Mine broke apart today. Solution was to empty all the remaining cream (likely around 75-80% of the original quantity) into an airtight 12 oz plastic container similar to what I store/use my rotation soaps in.

Will treat it like my Cyril R. Salter creams that come in tubs going forward where a small expresso spoon is used to scoop out the desired amount of product.
Glad it’s going strong. Bummer about the cap. Sounds like a good solution though.

Top Bottom