What's new

Le Coq Caged Head -- Letting 'er Rip!

Purchased this unique French razor a while back:
20190321_093605.jpg

When it first arrived, I tried it once (while on vacation, in a rush, with the only blade I had -- a Dorco 301) and then sent it on the road to Frank (@Dragonsbeard) so he could include it in his shave-off series. Even under those conditions, got a pretty good shave. Didn't blow my socks off but was clearly in the upper tier of aggressiveness. At that time I would have rated it an 8 on a 10 point scale. Found it a bit light and the handle short but looked forward to getting it back and giving it the time it deserved.

Anywho, due to a series of missteps and screw-ups, when it came home it didn't land on my doorstep but wound up in a drawer at my father-in-laws home at the other end of the continent. When I finally retrieved it, the little Le Coq came packaged with a razor I'd been wanting to try for a long time so it sat, unnoticed, acquiring layers of dust.

This morning I finally took it for a spin armed with an Astra under the cap. And since I'd found it light and short last time, replaced the native handle with an Ikon OSS:
20190321_093541.jpg
20190321_093544.jpg

For me, that handle was much better. Gave the razor real heft without disturbing performance.

Before getting in the shower, I ran it just under my sideburns with a bit of hot water splashed on my face. Was super efficient and comfortable with the perfect amount of blade feel -- a great start, but I've frequently found that razors don't necessarily perform the same in the shower, where I put them to the test.

Under the water, I couldn't feel a thing. Didn't know if it was cutting. A quick feel of my face made clear it was, but not with super efficiency. That was at a steep angle, which is both my habit and preference.

Since the razor wasn't performing to expectations, I began experimenting with blade angle. When I found a shallow-neutral angle, this thing turned into a little monster. Strong blade feel (8/10) with good smoothness (8/10) and monster efficiency (11/10).

Now I get why Scott (@pbrmhl) turned me on to this razor. Honestly, nothing cuts closer. Not even my Ikon Tech. (The iTech runs well at a steeper angle, so it's more in tune with my habits and preferences). But held correctly, the little Le Coq "out aggressived" the vaunted Ikon.

Magnificent shave. Best result I've ever had. Zero stubble! Even 14 hours later, my face is close to perfect.

Of my four favorite razors (each of which stands without question above all others I've tried so far), three have been tried on the suggestion, and with the assistance, of my buddy, Scott. He even helped me acquire my Charcoal Goods Level 3. Goes without saying that the remaining killer razor, knowledge of which came by way of Scott, is the exulted Ikon.

Was very fortunate to find this brass version of the Le Coq, boxed and in great condition, for $40 online. As well as this thing shaves, even though it's not inclined to perform well at my preferred steep angle, I'm going to spend some serious time getting familiar with its idiosyncrasies. ("Her idiosyncrasies" I should say. Frank named this razor Claudette, a sobriquet that will forever stick, though it appears Claudette has suffered something of a gender reassignment surgery with that handle transplant). Perhaps he/she will convert me . . . {wait three beats} . . . to a shallow shaver. {Qdush!!! -- I'll be here till Thursday, folks; try the veal!}

Last edited:
My love Claudette!! Ah she loves to skim along at a shallow angle and gently wipe a mans face clean of nasty stubble. Though small in stature and lightweight don’t let it fool you! She’s a top predator! Very nimble and maneuverable she’s a smooth operator!

Roy I have to admit my jealousy! Claudette definitely stole my heart and saying our goodbyes was mutually difficult. Don’t hold her back please! She loves to be dressed in Feathers!

With her lightweight torso I was able to do J hooks and a zig zag pass and she inspired my XX pattern strokes.

I have traveled to her home country on the web searching for a girl like her only to find disappointment time after time but my search will continue! A gender change!! Shameful as Claudette will always be my lady in Red!

View attachment 965296

You anthropomorphism is hilarious. Perhaps a cold shower is in order. :a29:

Very interesting as the French have some quality vintage razors still out in the wild. Too bad they no longer produce new innovative modern tools.

My love Claudette!! Ah she loves to skim along at a shallow angle and gently wipe a mans face clean of nasty stubble. Though small in stature and lightweight don’t let it fool you! She’s a top predator! Very nimble and maneuverable she’s a smooth operator!

Roy I have to admit my jealousy! Claudette definitely stole my heart and saying our goodbyes was mutually difficult. Don’t hold her back please! She loves to be dressed in Feathers!

With her lightweight torso I was able to do J hooks and a zig zag pass and she inspired my XX pattern strokes.

I have traveled to her home country on the web searching for a girl like her only to find disappointment time after time but my search will continue! A gender change!! Shameful as Claudette will always be my lady in Red!

View attachment 965296

“She loves to be dressed in feathers!!” Post of the day!! :a29:

View attachment 965296
Ah, the one that got away! :001_tt2:

Seriously, this razor is super maneuverable. One of the things I really like about it. Only downside on that score is getting under my nose. The caged head is a bit clunky when trying to wedge into a narrow space but was able to get there with some serious stretching. Hey, nose stretching! Funny!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The French may have had some weird thing going on with razors. There is a French version of the Wardonia, and both that and this one look at first glance like they'd be really effective as potato peelers.

Until you use one! Then you're in love.

O.H.

Ok, so I've changed my mind. Sorta . . .

Ran the Caged Head against the Ikon Tech this morning. Talk about potato peeler. I don't think of the Tech that way because I use very light pressure. But this morning's shave reminded me of how you could take your face off with it.

I became aware of this because I was playing with the angle on the Caged Head, still trying to master this little razor. And I was giving it some pressure because it wasn't a problem. Then I'd switch and it was natural to apply similar pressure with the Ikon. Bad idea!

From where I stand today, I rate them as follows:

---------------- Ikon Tech -------------- Caged Head
Aggression ----- 10.0 ------------------- 9.5 (at the right angle; 7.0 if not held well)
Smoothness ----- 6.5 ------------------- 8.5
Blade Feel ------ 10.0 ------------------- 6.5 (at the right angle; 4.0 if not held well)

The Caged head works well if one can master the angle. I'm still working at it. It's not at all natural yet. Even held perfectly, the Ikon remains more aggressive. Can't feel the difference in the result. But the shave itself makes that clear. The iTech feels like it could slice through wire.

Blade feel is there with the Caged Head if one holds it correctly and maintains some focus on it. At the wrong angle it gets very mild. (Wrong angle for me.)

Smoothness is the only place where the iTech lags behind. That's why the CGL3 is my favorite razor. The SB version is probably a 9.2 on aggression, a 9.8 on smoothness and a 9.2 on blade feel. Together, that's an almost flawless balance of qualities (at least in my book). Plus the copper CGL3 is gorgeous!

I've got a lot of razors, Scott, but only my junk razors live in a bin. You've probably got more invested in your razors than most guys have in their 401k. :001_302:

Looks like some sort of caged head. I believe the Le Coq was not the only one though that could be the very same head. Handle is obviously a ringer though I bet the two would go well together.
Looks more like a Famex-head, can also be found branded differently. That one is interesting in that the cage is the other way around from the Le Coq: the open side is against the topcap. The idea is that adjusting how tight your screw the handle will adjust aggression. Low budget adjustability :)

Looks more like a Famex-head, can also be found branded differently. That one is interesting in that the cage is the other way around from the Le Coq: the open side is against the topcap. The idea is that adjusting how tight your screw the handle will adjust aggression. Low budget adjustability :)
Yes, very different from the Famex which is a full cage and adjustable. I believe the Famex precedes the LeCoq. First patent applied for 1927.
proxy.php

Looks more like a Famex-head :)

Nope. Their caged heads are not compatible with eachother. As for the razors themselves (Le Coq/Famex) they both remain on my absolute top list of the most efficient and coolest razors ever being made.

Ran the Le Coq this morning against a Gillette Old over three days beard growth. Both were running old blades and I'm not even sure what I had in the Old, as I was in a rush and just grabbed the razors before jumping in the shower. The Le Cog had an Astra on its fourth or fifth use.

Despite the lack of attention to those important details, I'm posting anyway. Not because of what this shave says about the Le Coq in relation to the Old, but simply what I have to say about the Le Coq itself.

The Old was not itself this morning. My guess is the old blade was a worn out Dorco because the thing pulled and tugged something fierce. Didn't provide a remotely decent shave. Finally put the thing down and finished that side with the Le Coq.

The Le Coq, however, despite running an old blade, gave me its best shave to date. I'm learning how to use this razor. In fact, it's starting to feel natural. As with many things, there's the issue of muscle memory. This morning I found I could adjust the Le Coq to provide more or less blade feel as well as more or less closeness depending on what was needed in the moment. With three days of growth and an old blade, there were times when I needed to back both the aggression and the blade feel back. The Le Coq accomplished this with ease. I was impressed.

Will continue to explore the virtues of this razor. Plan on taking Frank's advice and dressing her in a Feather. Will report back on the results.

Top Bottom