What's new

Le Coq Caged Head, 2 versions? Mild or aggressive??

I see very often that people rank this razor as one of the most aggressive razor they have tried, if not the most aggressive.
I have a Le Coq Caged Head for a very long time, the most aggressive DE I've came across, a razor that I really enjoy to shave with. Only problem is that the blade exposure is not symmetrical so I looked for months for a Le Coq in better condition and I found one.
Only problem is that the new Le Coq is not aggressive as the old Le coq I have.

The question is if there are two versions of Le Coqs or mine (and the Le Coq that all the people that rank this razor as one of the most aggressive razor they have tried) is just a bagged up razor. Maybe the way this razor is designed made the head, with time, to curl up (the metal is relatively soft) and maybe the Le Coq is not designed to be aggressive.
This is a comparison between my old and new Le Coq, you can see the difference between the blade exposure.

44.png
55.jpg

The caps are also different. The left one is my old aggressive Le Coq. The pins length are different. I changed the caps and there is no significant change in the aggressiveness.

66.jpg

My caged head is much like the one on the left--very aggressive. My guess is someone replaced the original top cap on the razor on the right.

Like the one on the left, the combs on my razor are not perfectly aligned on each side. It doesn't bother me, and I find each side shaves very much like the other. I love this razor.

Mine matches neither of those. The cage looks like the mild one but with a different cap. Lots of exposure.
IMG_20190429_173710-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Mine matches neither of those. The cage looks like the mild one but with a different cap. Lots of exposure.View attachment 976744

proxy.php

Hello, very interesting contraption. Does the knob rotate inside the handle, like a two piece Gillette/Rotbart? If yes, it somehow makes no sense to me. It almost like a two piece handle and cap with a three piece comb.
All cage heads with this handle had the comb secured to the handle (like a Sr) but yours has a small center hole, so it wasn’t affixed to the neck.
Nice pigskin case.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, very interesting contraption. Does the knob rotate inside the handle, like a two piece Gillette/Rotbart? If yes, it somehow makes no sense to me. It almost like a two piece handle and cap with a three piece comb.
All cage heads with this handle had the comb secured to the handle (like a Sr) but yours has a small center hole, so it wasn’t affixed to the neck.
Nice pigskin case.

Adam
The knob does not. Unlike the Single Ring (and obviously Famex) the range of adjustment is pretty miniscule.

R

romsitsa

Are you sure the knob doesn't move? If the handle is "one piece", they drilled a hole, tapped it, then had to remove the thread from the upper portion as it has a long center rod. It's so much extra effort.
Or it's similar to a Sr and has an inner tube, but it's press fitted into the outer barrel?
Adam

Are you sure the knob doesn't move? If the handle is "one piece", they drilled a hole, tapped it, then had to remove the thread from the upper portion as it has a long center rod. It's so much extra effort.
Or it's similar to a Sr and has an inner tube, but it's press fitted into the outer barrel?
Adam
Shaved with it today, no the knob doesn't move. Why the long rod i cannot explain.

Supermax BDT. Interesting to be sure. With this blade at least the razor's extraordinary aggressiveness is not accompanied by exceptional efficiency, tuggy and ineffective going ATG on my head. A real design fail compared to the Famex it resembles but is nothing like to shave with. Will try next time with a different blade.

proxy.php

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello,

didn’t want to open another topic. Tried my LeCoq, but it’s nowhere near the Swing, it’s bestial and effective. The cap was badly bent, managed to straighten it, but the blade always looked off, so checked dimensions. Cap span varies between 18.5 and 17.9 mm. I could swap the cap for a thin Gillette cap (it’s a tad wider, but looks ok-ish), but guess what, the LeCoq is metric. So next time I’ll mount the cage on a ball end and if it works, I’ll change the neck and cap of the LeCoq for Gillette parts, imho.

Onto the strange part, my example seems to be straight and having a matching cap, but the blade exposure is so enormous that I can only ride the cap or the comb (later is like planing my face), is this “normal”?
The shave itself was extremely effective, not smooth at all, but I’m not used to riding the cap, so I think it will improve with time.
E9DFFE38-AC1B-45CE-B4AE-2F1852392244.jpeg 80E5C4D1-7841-47CD-A502-BBCE7E5D781A.jpeg

Adam

Hello,

didn’t want to open another topic. Tried my LeCoq, but it’s nowhere near the Swing, it’s bestial and effective. The cap was badly bent, managed to straighten it, but the blade always looked off, so checked dimensions. Cap span varies between 18.5 and 17.9 mm. I could swap the cap for a thin Gillette cap (it’s a tad wider, but looks ok-ish), but guess what, the LeCoq is metric. So next time I’ll mount the cage on a ball end and if it works, I’ll change the neck and cap of the LeCoq for Gillette parts, imho.

Onto the strange part, my example seems to be straight and having a matching cap, but the blade exposure is so enormous that I can only ride the cap or the comb (later is like planing my face), is this “normal”?
The shave itself was extremely effective, not smooth at all, but I’m not used to riding the cap, so I think it will improve with time.
View attachment 981747 View attachment 981748

Adam
At a glance exposure looks similar to mine pictured above. Definitely an adventure.

R

romsitsa

It’s an adventure for sure. Replaced the neck with a pre 20ies Gillette and the cap with something unknown, the blade exposure and angle look better, imho.
Tried to compare my comb to others online, but each looks slightly different. Not sure wether it’s manufacturing tolerances or user abuse.
Will be back in a few days with a new report.

53B42880-BC3D-482D-BCD0-62EF88B0668E.jpeg B0B64499-9FAF-438C-AD16-C54E18899B6D.jpeg

Adam

R

romsitsa

Noticed some leftover stubble from yesterday, so gave it another go. With the new cap, still aggressive, works only with short strokes and under very limited angles. It feels like a mix of an Old type with cut back comb and a 2011 R41.

Adam

Top Bottom