What's new

Le Coq Adjustable

Bringing back this Le Coq thread to share mine, along with the case, shipper, and the instructions. Likely a 1930s razor, but there's no apparent date on the instructions to clearly identify the date.
full

I find the shave very good, and the adjustments are quite variable, more so then with other more popular adjustable razors.
full

You can see from the instructions how the razor disassembles -- easily and totally. This particular razor may not be exactly the #105 with the vertical ribbing on the handle, but seems close enough and was in the case.
full

Only 1 of the 2 blade banks survived the years.
full

full

All in all a very classy vintage french adjustable.
full

proxy.php

My experience with this model is the blade is not held very rigid against the top cap. I think this is due to the fact modern blades are much thinner and have a slot down the middle.

Performance is greatly improved if you make a “shim” out of an old 3-hole blade and assemble under the modern blade. Then it works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Very nice Jake. Don’t believe I have ever seen a shipper. Good show. I finally grabbed a decent one awhile back. The case has some issues but the razor is in excellent condition. Plating is 100% intact. Unfortunately it seems like most of the examples out there show signs of Zamak rot. I went through several to find an intact one. I believe my razor is plated brass though. Unconfirmed rumors that there were both Zamak and all brass models? Not going to verify on my razor though. :) They do shave excellent. My only issue is you have to rinse often as the lather has nowhere to go.
proxy.php

I have tried a few because I find them really beautiful but the design of the head is terrible. The drainage is poor unless you open the gap, and it really was meant for a much more rigid de blade so you get this conical deformation when screwed down with many. I consider it a piece for completists

Very nice Jake. Don’t believe I have ever seen a shipper. Good show. I finally grabbed a decent one awhile back. The case has some issues but the razor is in excellent condition. Plating is 100% intact. Unfortunately it seems like most of the examples out there show signs of Zamak rot. I went through several to find an intact one. I believe my razor is plated brass though. Unconfirmed rumors that there were both Zamak and all brass models? Not going to verify on my razor though. :) They do shave excellent. My only issue is you have to rinse often as the lather has nowhere to go.
proxy.php

Some are brass, some zamak

I have tried a few because I find them really beautiful but the design of the head is terrible. The drainage is poor unless you open the gap, and it really was meant for a much more rigid de blade so you get this conical deformation when screwed down with many. I consider it a piece for completists

Ahh. The completist. I like that. :)

I have had 4 pass through my hands over the years. Every baseplate was slightly tweaked, which deformed (wavy blade) the blade. Was able to tweak a couple so the blade gaps were straight all the way through the adjustment. The baseplates are very soft. My current one arrived in perfect shape. Gaps and adjustment dead on.

Every adjustable I have owned not made by gillette has had some really annoying quirk. The le supreme you can really peg yourself good with the ends of the blade if the razor is wide open, the gibbs has the stupid proprietary tabs, the segal has the proprietary blade, the lecoq puts all the clamping pressure dead center on the blade and has no drainage, mikrons don't have brilliant drainage and feel really hollow in hand, the Berkeley has a handle like a set of electric clippers, the progress and futur are a handful in different ways, the russian ones are built horribly... The wizamet is ok. Early merkur progress razors are really good.

Every adjustable I have owned not made by gillette has had some really annoying quirk. The le supreme you can really peg yourself good with the ends of the blade if the razor is wide open, the gibbs has the stupid proprietary tabs, the segal has the proprietary blade, the lecoq puts all the clamping pressure dead center on the blade and has no drainage, mikrons don't have brilliant drainage and feel really hollow in hand, the Berkeley has a handle like a set of electric clippers, the progress and futur are a handful in different ways, the russian ones are built horribly... The wizamet is ok. Early merkur progress razors are really good.
Other than the plastic guard on the earliest ones, how is early Progress different from later?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Top Bottom