What's new

LCP triggers

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
This would be a good thing. :)
Yes, but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. I hope to shoot my first reloads tomorrow. But I won't have time to do a w/wo test. It would probably be best to do it with factory defensive ammo. I will wait for the new barrel and/or slide to do that and I don't have enough defensive ammo on hand and those little buggers are 'spensive! My reloads won't be as intense as the defensive loads and may need some load development to function reliably with the new spring.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yes, but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. I hope to shoot my first reloads tomorrow. But I won't have time to do a w/wo test. It would probably be best to do it with factory defensive ammo. I will wait for the new barrel and/or slide to do that and I don't have enough defensive ammo on hand and those little buggers are 'spensive! My reloads won't be as intense as the defensive loads and may need some load development to function reliably with the new spring.

Take your time. I’m old, I ain’t going’ anywhere’s fast?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My old .380 loads were a starting load of 3.8 gr. of Unique powder for an alleged 800 FPS muzzle velocity. I'm thinking I need to up the charge to at least 4.2 gr. of Unique for a more realistic load. Still below max. I don't seek max loads for the most part on any cartridge.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As it turns out, 4.2 gr.s of Unique is a pretty stout load for the .380 ACP. I loaded and shot about 50 rounds and they were not comfortable to shoot. I'll go back to 3.8 grs. of Unique and see if that functions in The Max with the heavier spring.

OkieStubble

WOW!! Called Ruger and they are sending me a new barrel and A COMPLETE SLIDE!

On another note, I noticed long after the fact, that the safety lever in my newly installed Galloway Sigurd trigger was missing! I had shot about 80 rounds or so of factory ammo and never noticed anything amiss at the range! I emailed Galloway Precision to ask about replacement parts and they responded immediately. They are sending me a new safety blade, roll pin and spring for the Sigurd trigger! Two fine examples of stellar customer service!

I got the entire upper slide assembly with a new barrel in the mail today for the wife’s Max.

Does your 12 round magazines lock your slide to the rear John? The two 12 rounders I purchased along with the 10 rounder that came with the pistol, will lock the slide back after shooting the last round, but if you stick an empty magazine in it, it doesn’t want to lock back just pulling on the slide.

The new 10 rounder they sent me does, but none of the other magazines I have won’t.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble glad to hear that you got your barrel and slide promptly, I look forward to hearing if you see a difference in POI during rapid fire before you get a Galloway trigger, if you in fact do so. I recall having one instance in which the slide didn't lock back while shooting at the range and once when manipulating the gun unloaded, but I didn't take notice of which magazine it occurred with. I have three 12-rounders and the one 10-round magazine. They all lock back the slide on an empty gun as of this AM. I tried each mag twice by inserting the magazine with the slide forward and the hammer c0cked, and by inserting the mag with the slide forward and the hammer down after being dry fired. It made no difference, and I didn't expect it to since the hammer becomes c0cked in both cases once the slide is racked, but I didn't know if the hammer being c0cked would affect how the magazine engages the slide lock when first inserted before racking the slide. Obviously, it didn't seem to matter.

I got the entire upper slide assembly with a new barrel in the mail today for the wife’s Max.

Does your 12 round magazines lock your slide to the rear John? The two 12 rounders I purchased along with the 10 rounder that came with the pistol, will lock the slide back after shooting the last round, but if you stick an empty magazine in it, it doesn’t want to lock back just pulling on the slide.

The new 10 rounder they sent me does, but none of the other magazines I have won’t.
Is the Max follower metal or poly? You generally have less trouble with poly, unless the spring is a bit lacking at extension.

If metal, you can try dressing all of its leading edges with a needle file, then maybe polish lightly with a Dremel rubber bit. Clean well, lightly oil & retry.

If that doesn't work, use needle nose pliers to put a slight upward bend on the mag catch tab. A millimeter ot so is usually enough.

If the follower is poly, use 600 grit wet/dry paper and round _all_ hard edges on the follower _lightly_. Hit any moulding nubs on the sides until they are flush & smooth.

You can buy Wolff single stack 9mm mag springs & trim to fit, but that's a last resort for me.

OkieStubble

Is the Max follower metal or poly? You generally have less trouble with poly, unless the spring is a bit lacking at extension.

If metal, you can try dressing all of its leading edges with a needle file, then maybe polish lightly with a Dremel rubber bit. Clean well, lightly oil & retry.

If that doesn't work, use needle nose pliers to put a slight upward bend on the mag catch tab. A millimeter ot so is usually enough.

If the follower is poly, use 600 grit wet/dry paper and round _all_ hard edges on the follower _lightly_. Hit any moulding nubs on the sides until they are flush & smooth.

You can buy Wolff single stack 9mm mag springs & trim to fit, but that's a last resort for me.

The follower is poly. I already have an RMA printed and will be dropping it off at a FEDEX hub tomorrow.

OkieStubble

LCP Max is back from Ruger. I sent the original slide and barrel back to Ruger along with the replacement upper on the frame. a couple of weeks ago because the trigger was too heavy or glitchy to be accurate and the replacement slide and barrel wasn't reliable with about a dozen or so failure to feed and return to battery.

Also sent in the original 10 round magazine and both of my wife's Ruger original aftermarket 12 rounders because they wouldn't lock the slide back when they were in the pistol. They lock the slide back when firing and going empty, but not when it's not being fired and just sticking in an empty magazine and pulling back on the slide.

I had one Ruger OEM 10 rounder I previously bought aftermarket and it does lock back, but not the other three.

This is the note Ruger sent back.

28EB509A-EA37-49BF-A96D-406A0842AF77.jpeg

So, it looks like they replaced the barrel from the other two previous barrels, but retained one of the slides and sent it back. They also stated, the trigger pull was normal and in spec. They also test fired it for 30 rounds with no malfunction issues. However, I have dried fired it a few times since getting it back and I can notice a better break. It still feels a bit like it's a heavy break or like it just takes an unnecessary amount of force to get it to break, which is what throws off rapid defense type of quick trigger pulls in 3-5 yards, usually pulling shots, way low and left, but I do notice a slightly better difference, so we shall see.

However, Ruger sent back two targets they shot at 7 yards to show me the accuracy.

F358B498-0E1E-4FC9-92FF-E85EF57F141A.jpeg

Now before I sent it back, I could duplicate this kind of accuracy, but it took very long, slow, methodical shots, concentrating very hard to control the point of impact when trying to crush the incredibly heavy and hard break when pulling the trigger and getting the shot to go off. However, this is supposed to be an up close self defense pistol, where a string of quick and accurate shots are needed. That heavy break doesn't allow for this and the shots to have acceptable accuracy.

So I will be going to the range today to shoot for the .22 Bullseye thread and will be taking the Ruger max along with me and see if there is any improvement with it's return.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they sent the three magazines back. The 10 rounder they sent back does lock the slide back now when empty, but the two 12 rounders I sent do not. So they replaced the 10 rounder, but I guess since I bout the Ruger 12 rounders aftermarket, They didn't replace them?

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm still awaiting the delivery of a replacement barrel and slide. I probably should call Ruger; it's been longer than they indicated that it would take.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I spoke too soon, the new slide and barrel assembly was in the mailbox today. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it next week. I look forward to hearing of @OkieStubble 's range report. If Rob's gun still fires poorly due to the trigger and pulls low left, and assuming that my gun doesn't shoot worse with the replacement parts, I probably won't send it in to Ruger if it's unlikely to be "fixed". Time will tell. I was pleased that they actually sent a silver tone slide and not the standard black one.

OkieStubble

I spoke too soon, the new slide and barrel assembly was in the mailbox today. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it next week. I look forward to hearing of @OkieStubble 's range report. If Rob's gun still fires poorly due to the trigger and pulls low left, and assuming that my gun doesn't shoot worse with the replacement parts, I probably won't send it in to Ruger if it's unlikely to be "fixed". Time will tell. I was pleased that they actually sent a silver tone slide and not the standard black one.

Back from the range. Here are my targets.

34A84C53-3995-455B-9889-0C7D60E24FA3.jpeg

BC70B100-559E-4AF8-9AA9-792EDA9043A4.jpeg

Top target shows the first 5 shots at 7 yds at the bottom left of the target.

This was me, trying to duplicate the two targets Ruger sent. It was slow and deliberate.

Ruger must have shot it from a bench rest and they sure couldn’t have shot it in a rapid succession or shot string, because there is no way they shot those groups standing or quickly.

The top target with closer and better groups, was me shooting so slow and just pulling in painfully slow increments until the shots surprised me.

It was so slow going just for decent accuracy, a bad guy could have just walked up and took it from me before the first slow shot was fired, because rapid fire would have been all over the place and missing the target completely at 7 yards.

Ruger says, nothing was wrong with the trigger, but any of my shot groups you see on the upper slow fire target or the lower fast fire target, was at only 3 and 4 yards. In fact. the one decent group you see on the lower target in the red 10 and just to the left on the 9? Was me shooting at point blank range about 1 yard away.

The trigger take up on the Ruger Max, pulls almost all the way to the rear. Then when I finally hit the wall, my trigger finger was angled so far back, the break was horrendously hard to just simply break? The break is so hard and difficult to press thru and stagey, it's impossible to group. There is absolutely no way to keep the barrel still while squeezing thru that concrete wall of a trigger break.

There was no way to duplicate Ruger's target groups they sent me. Even with my old eyeballs and probably the beginnings of hand tremors from age, I'm a good enough shot, for 2-7 yards? C'mon, I could have shot a high point better then this! Ruger Smiths, had to have had it locked down in a ransom rest and incrementally pulled the trigger to get those groups, if they say anything other, I call BS. I shot a 100 round box of Remington HP's to even try to get close to duplicating their groups and I couldn't even at 3 yards? C'mon...

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. Also, they said they shot 30 rounds for reliability and no issues. It failed to return to battery for me, at least 3 dozen times. The first slide that came with the pistol was 100 percent, but the second slide I had the issues with before ever sending it back.

When I did send it back, I put a note in the box stating I was sending both back. I told them the slide in the plastic bag was 100% reliable, but the one on the pistol I was having failures to return to battery. They gave me a third barrel, but then sent the very slide back I told them I was having issues with? So I had trouble with it they didn't? They send it back and I am still having trouble?

In saying all of this, Ruger's customer service Reps of the phone were very fast, very cordial and polite and thorough, But when I first got this,

1. Tt was 100% reliable, but the trigger and accuracy sucked!

2. They sent me a new slide and barrel, saying it would fix the trouble. The trigger and accuracy still sucked and the new upper slide and barrel they sent me started having feeding issues.

3. Sent it back to Ruger. They gave it a third new barrel and said the trigger was fine and groups and accuracy were fine. They also sent the exact slide back that I told them was not reliable, and they kept the very slide that I said I wanted back?

I will be trading or selling this, but I'm sure I will be losing out on the resale quite a bit, cuz there ain't no way I can trade or sell this thing without telling them, the troubles with it. It will most likely be sold cheap. When I was at the range, a guy was in the lane next to me with another Ruger LCP Max, but his was in desert tan color. He only had his two days and it was his first time shooting.

He was trying to shoot from a rested bag, because he said all his shots were grouping 6 inches low and left. He said he thought maybe his front dovetail sight should be moved? I answered him, "dude, you are shooting at 5 yards, that's 6 inches low and left, it's not the front sight..."

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Back from the range. Here are my targets.

View attachment 1503893

View attachment 1503894

Top target shows the first 5 shots at 7 yds at the bottom left of the target.

This was me, trying to duplicate the two targets Ruger sent. It was slow and deliberate.

Ruger must have shot it from a bench rest and they sure couldn’t have shot it in a rapid succession or shot string, because there is no way they shot those groups standing or quickly.

The top target with closer and better groups, was me shooting so slow and just pulling in painfully slow increments until the shots surprised me.

It was so slow going just for decent accuracy, a bad guy could have just walked up and took it from me before the first slow shot was fired, because rapid fire would have been all over the place and missing the target completely at 7 yards.

Ruger says, nothing was wrong with the trigger, but any of my shot groups you see on the upper slow fire target or the lower fast fire target, was at only 3 and 4 yards. In fact. the one decent group you see on the lower target in the red 10 and just to the left on the 9? Was me shooting at point blank range about 1 yard away.

The trigger take up on the Ruger Max, pulls almost all the way to the rear. Then when I finally hit the wall, my trigger finger was angled so far back, the break was horrendously hard to just simply break? The break is so hard and difficult to press thru and stagey, it's impossible to group. There is absolutely no way to keep the barrel still while squeezing thru that concrete wall of a trigger break.

There was no way to duplicate Ruger's target groups they sent me. Even with my old eyeballs and probably the beginnings of hand tremors from age, I'm a good enough shot, for 2-7 yards? C'mon, I could have shot a high point better then this! Ruger Smiths, had to have had it locked down in a ransom rest and incrementally pulled the trigger to get those groups, if they say anything other, I call BS. I shot a 100 round box of Remington HP's to even try to get close to duplicating their groups and I couldn't even at 3 yards? C'mon...

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. Also, they said they shot 30 rounds for reliability and no issues. It failed to return to battery for me, at least 3 dozen times. The first slide that came with the pistol was 100 percent, but the second slide I had the issues with before ever sending it back.

When I did send it back, I put a note in the box stating I was sending both back. I told them the slide in the plastic bag was 100% reliable, but the one on the pistol I was having failures to return to battery. They gave me a third barrel, but then sent the very slide back I told them I was having issues with? So I had trouble with it they didn't? They send it back and I am still having trouble?

In saying all of this, Ruger's customer service Reps of the phone were very fast, very cordial and polite and thorough, But when I first got this,

1. Tt was 100% reliable, but the trigger and accuracy sucked!

2. They sent me a new slide and barrel, saying it would fix the trouble. The trigger and accuracy still sucked and the new upper slide and barrel they sent me started having feeding issues.

3. Sent it back to Ruger. They gave it a third new barrel and said the trigger was fine and groups and accuracy were fine. They also sent the exact slide back that I told them was not reliable, and they kept the very slide that I said I wanted back?

I will be trading or selling this, but I'm sure I will be losing out on the resale quite a bit, cuz there ain't no way I can trade or sell this thing without telling them, the troubles with it. It will most likely be sold cheap. When I was at the range, a guy was in the lane next to me with another Ruger LCP Max, but his was in desert tan color. He only had his two days and it was his first time shooting.

He was trying to shoot from a rested bag, because he said all his shots were grouping 6 inches low and left. He said he thought maybe his front dovetail sight should be moved? I answered him, "dude, you are shooting at 5 yards, that's 6 inches low and left, it's not the front sight..."
Sorry to hear your still having issues. That sucks. I would literally copy and paste the post you made and email it to Ruger CS. It sounds like the Max is having lots of issues for others as well.

OkieStubble

Sorry to hear your still having issues. That sucks. I would literally copy and paste the post you made and email it to Ruger CS. It sounds like the Max is having lots of issues for others as well.

I actually sent a piece of computer paper folded up inside the box with the pistol, basically stating the trouble I had with the trigger and second slide in great detail.
I even told customer service on the phone I would send a detailed note and she very politely told me she would also note on her computer that the note was there so they would be looking for it.

I’ve shot some crappy triggers, but the break on this trigger is more like a catch then a break. It catches and won’t break without having to muscle thru with so much force, the point of aim can’t help but move off of aim.

I could kick my own self in the teeth allowing my wife to carry it for so many months without shooting it myself first. I just assumed it would shoot as nice as my LCP II.

I asked her why didn’t she let me know how bad that trigger was? She just looks at me, shrugs her shoulders and blinks…. Lol’d, bless her heart…. :)

The good news is, she carried the LCP II for about 9 years before she got the Max, so She’s just back to carrying it until I can figure something out.

Maybe Apex or some other aftermarket company will solve this problem for Ruger if they don’t want too.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I doubt that I'll even bother sending my pistol back. If I did, I'd have to reinstall the factory trigger. PITA. Oh well, if I decide to try to do anything to the gun that would void the warranty, no great loss. We'll see. If I do send it back, I'll keep the original slide and barrel if the replacement is wonky.

OkieStubble

I doubt that I'll even bother sending my pistol back. If I did, I'd have to reinstall the factory trigger. PITA. Oh well, if I decide to try to do anything to the gun that would void the warranty, no great loss. We'll see. If I do send it back, I'll keep the original slide and barrel if the replacement is wonky.

Two slides and three barrels later, shows me it was the trigger I suspected from the beginning. I am probably going to call Ruger again and just see what they say.

Push comes to shove, I will see if they can send me another slide and barrel for reliability and then hopefully other shooters in the Ruger forums can figure out a fix for the trigger.

If that concrete wall of a break can be fixed? It would be a handy little 12 rounder.

Top Bottom