What's new

Lazy silo doors

Hi Gents,

I am new here and havent had any experience with Safety Razors, so please forgive my ignorance!
Today at my local antique store I was looking at a Gillette Fat Boy (not sure what year) and the silo doors opend in a lose/floppy and un-sychronised fashion - Can that be fixed?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,
Nick.

Thanks Tom. Yeah I think they doors did close well. It was in pretty good condition overall, apart from the afformentioned silos. Do you think it will still shave well?

Nick

Thanks Tom. Yeah I think they doors did close well. It was in pretty good condition overall, apart from the afformentioned silos. Do you think it will still shave well?

Nick
Well there is one scientifically proven, tried and true method to finding out if a razor shaves well, and that is to give it a shot. I bet is will shave like a fatboy dream. So once you buy it, take some pics and post them for us to look at. Pics are great. everyone benefiets from pics.

well there is one scientifically proven, tried and true method to finding out if a razor shaves well, and that is to give it a shot. I bet is will shave like a fatboy dream. So once you buy it, take some pics and post them for us to look at. Pics are great. Everyone benefiets from pics.

+1

G'day Nick. If the razor is in reasonable nick,grab it.:wink:Fat Boy's are hard to come by Down Under.:smile:Good to see another Aussie being corrupted.:001_smile

"un-sychronised" opening silo doors. If you're not real familiar that could be a normal appearance...well "loose/floppy" is about the way I describe them at all times. After all they are not "geared" so they just sorta come up and go down as they are coaxed up by other mechanical input and they sorta fall down as the mechanical input is retracted...till they get ready to lock down, then they tighten up. However, if they're really outta synch you might have a bent bar. I had that. One bar was holding the door tabs back just a bit, enough to cause them to be outta synch, but as you continued the twisting they both opened up. I also squirted some penetrating oil down both ends of the thing. Ended up taking the whole thing apart as shown on another thread. Fantastic how-to. After that and the clean up it does good now! If you leap on it we here sure hope you have and enjoy a good find!

Yeah, that sounds normal. All of my TTO's are the same. Sounds like there is nothing wrong with the way the doors open and close. Buy the razor Nick. If you don't, you may look back and regret it.

DL

Thanks all!
Well its good to hear the razor is ok - my heart did sink a little when I had the shopkeeper lock it back in its little shelf :frown:!
I figured since the Gillette Slim next to it opend smoothley and this one sort of wibble wobbled open there was something wrong with it! I guess not - after all they are an old bit of kit ey. It was $28AU about $18US and the slim was only $20AU cheaper still ($12US?) and with a case (as i write this im thinking "just get them both!" alas, I dont wont to get RAD just yet!!) Anyway, next time in that part of town I think I'll visit the store and pick it up. Be assured if I do I'll put some pics up :wink:

Thanks again!

If you can drop the cash, get both - worst case you can sell them on. If you don't buy both, the other will be gone when you realise what you did by not buying it :smile: You might be able to negotiate both for less than the combined price too...

Top Bottom