What's new

Lazy mug lather secret

I've always kept my shaving puck in a shaving mug. I built lather on the puck until learning this wasn't the best, and then right on my face. (I have limited shelf space and no counters, so I can't keep soap in one vessel and build lather in another.) I wore a great Em's Glycerine puck down to the ceramic and had a revelation: I can build great lather in the mug now!
My mug is a handled Burt's Bees one that flares slightly at the bottom so soap remains in the edges out of reach. My puck is kind of a crescent right now: gone on one side and somewhat there on the other, so I can incorporate only as much as I want into the lather.
Even though, or perhaps because, I know this won't last, I'm loving this simple lather build. I suppose I could replicate it by melting soap into one side, but that seems complicated.
I don't suppose there's anything to learn from this, but I figured you all enjoy hearing about shave soap making someone happy.

Have you considered skipping the mug altogether?
Most days I'm in too much of a hurry to bother with my mug/bowl etc....
I load my brush with about half as much as I normally would and lather right on my face.

Sounds great. I don't get face lathering, I just haven't gotten it to work for me.

As a Stirling fan, my curiosity was piqued by their collapsible lathering bowls. I ordered one out of curiosity and now cannot live without it. Cheap ($6), collapses down flat, and builds lather like nothing else I've ever tried. Fast, voluminous, and simple. I'm convinced its little agitators on the bottom of the bowl do the trick.

Have you considered skipping the mug altogether?
Most days I'm in too much of a hurry to bother with my mug/bowl etc....
I load my brush with about half as much as I normally would and lather right on my face.
I generally have just used the mug to load my brush and then built the lather on my face. It's a bit sloppy but it works in a pinch. I just noticed that when the puck is almost gone, then I can build a better lather quicker in the mug. It's a fleeting thing, but nice while it lasts.

Sounds great. I don't get face lathering, I just haven't gotten it to work for me.

As a Stirling fan, my curiosity was piqued by their collapsible lathering bowls. I ordered one out of curiosity and now cannot live without it. Cheap ($6), collapses down flat, and builds lather like nothing else I've ever tried. Fast, voluminous, and simple. I'm convinced its little agitators on the bottom of the bowl do the trick.
That's pretty cool! And it looks small enough that I could probably store it on or in my mug, saving that space.

Those pet bowls (that is what they are) are great. I have one without knobs for holidays and the silicone itself is rough enough to make super lather. And unbreakable….

People here don’t recommend lathering on the puck, as it’s impossible to limit the amount of soap if you’re trying to control the ratio of soap, water and air in the lather. Personally, I’ve found it works just fine, but it burns through a puck of soap about 10 times as fast.
You can search the site for more; it’s not particularly organized but there is some info in a wiki Lathers - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Lathers

Top Bottom